UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Might Be Trying Bujinkan Soon...

9/15/07 1:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
smileythai
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Sep-07 02:10 PM

I've trained judo/bjj, sambo, boxing, and muay thai before, but still, I've always wanted to see what bujinkan budo taijutsu is like... So, I was able to find a closed door dojo in my area and have begun the interview process. I'm hoping that if I am accepted into the school, that it doesn't turn out to be a bunch of mullet wearing wannabes prancing around in tabi boots. I'd really like to find a tight knit group who train realistically. I'll keep this thread updated.
9/15/07 1:31 PM
mrchips

Edited: 15-Sep-07
That should be interesting. What dojo is it?
9/15/07 2:05 PM
smileythai

Edited: 15-Sep-07
Don't know the dojo name or exact location yet. I just exchanged e-mails with the guy so far.
9/23/07 11:00 AM
smileythai

Edited: 23-Sep-07
^LOL^ Well, it seems as though I won't be training there afterall. I've been in contact with the instructor via e-mail but he has since stopped communicating with me after asking for information on my training background. I guess he didn't like the fact that I come from combat sports like muay thai/boxing and judo/bjj. Oh well...
9/23/07 6:12 PM
WaltJ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I lol'd when I saw the interview thing. Closed-door dojo...interviews. WTF? I can't say that I ever practiced anything Bujinkan-related, but I've read a great deal of stuff about their people and organization on several sites from both current and past members and I honestly must say that they seem like an awfully stuck up bunch of people.
9/23/07 6:41 PM
smileythai

I can't say I had/have any expectation(S) other than the hope that I'd find a good group of people who're reality based...in training and mindset/personality. However, from everything I've read/seen about the ninjutsu craze since I was a kid, it seems like an entity geared for posers/wannabes. I mean, the guy here who runs a commercial school boasts about the martial arts movies he's been in, and this guy who I've been exchanging e-mails with is ultra secretive. Also, I have yet to see anykind of ninjutsu dojo/training that advocates sparring in any capacity. That just bothers the hell out of me; how can you know where you're at if you don't *ever* train against a live, resisting opponent? Hell, even as weird as systema is, even they advocate sparring. Maybe I've just realized why I've never trained in ninjutsu before, huh? LOL Let's pray there's still hope for finding authentic shuai chiao/qinna someday!
9/23/07 8:51 PM
WaltJ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shen is probably correct. TMA'ers are known to be put off by MMA'ers.
9/24/07 8:27 AM
smileythai

Edited: 24-Sep-07
It's not worth the time. I'll just stick with a muay thai gym I found locally. It's a little expensive, but it's open 6 days a week and the sessions are 3 hours long.
9/24/07 3:18 PM
FlashGordon2002

Edited: 24-Sep-07
LOL. Just ask yourself what kind of people are going to be attracted to a martial art where the general stereotype is something out of "Enter the Ninja" or that TV show "The Master" or even from the training scenes in "Batman Begins". Then ask yourself just WTF you were thinking you'd get realistic training with these people. LOL.
9/25/07 10:37 AM
smileythai

Edited: 25-Sep-07
^I was under the impression that ninjutsu, while being a TMA, was still centered around comprehensive self-defense. Allegedly, it's geared towards critical/independent thinking, defense against gun, knife, and multiple attackers. As well, they also include parkour like gymnastics skills. Altogether, that sounded interesting and is what made the chance to train it so appealing. I guess it's a case of something sounding too good to be true. Live and learn, right? LOL
10/4/07 2:05 PM
karasu

Edited: 04-Oct-07 02:10 PM
Mind if I add my opinion here? I think Bujinkan has good things to offer but is much better if you have a background such as yourself smileythai. It reminds me of the HumanWeapon episode about Krav Maga where Chambers realizes both the limitations and advantages of sportfighting. Bujinkan/KravMaga/Escrima/Kali/Systema type training can give you ideas that could be very helpful if needed. Just a small example but if you always train on a certain surface like boxing ring or grappling matts, you will find training outdoors in regular clothing really has an effect on your techniques.
10/5/07 8:31 PM
smileythai

Edited: 05-Oct-07

Just a small example but if you always train on a certain surface like boxing ring or grappling matts, you will find training outdoors in regular clothing really has an effect on your techniques.

That's exactly the kind of mindset I'm intrigued by. Too bad it seems like the instructor has written me off.

10/6/07 5:01 PM
crobrun
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Oct-07
We would have let you in, but the first thing you did was talk about the interview on the internet. Ninja's don't talk. ;-)
10/7/07 8:38 PM
Josh Gibson
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Oct-07
I trained bujinkan budo taijutsu for 2 years and i wouldnt say it was a complete waste of time.We did ukemi(breakfalls) and rolling everyday which have helped me down the road whenever i get thrown in wrestling/bjj. I cant speak for other dojos but we did randori (sparring)frequently,pretty much everday.Sensei would break it up before it turned into an all out brawl though. As far as mma gos ,ya youre better going with something else because they spend alot of times with weapons,outdoor survival type stuff later down the road,even stuff like reading the weather and homemade explosives and what not,which is interesting and fun. One interesting note is that one of my senseis training partners ,who had a dojo of his own in the next town,got 2nd place in the U.S. Cold Steel Challenge which is a knife fighting competition,so its not like they are all full of shit.
10/8/07 11:51 AM
smileythai

Edited: 08-Oct-07
Interesting. Thanks for the input. And no, I am not really concerned with training mma anymore. I'm interested in finding something more comprehensive, as in the integration of self-defense with survival/bushcraft skills, as well as gymnastics/parkour type stuff(as a form of physical fitness). I like the idea that BBJ, and gasp, Systema, do a lot of training in different environments, especially the outdoors. It gives one a better understanding of what skills they really possess. I'll just keep an open mind and maybe someday I'll get the chance to try it.
10/12/07 1:08 PM
karasu

Edited: 17-Oct-07 06:06 PM
One thing that irritates me about Bujinkan is their stubborn adherence to the idea that they do not have "stances" and their claim that they move naturally. BS...., what do the teachers think Kamae means? And those ultra low kamae are not how humans move naturally. It's kind of like how BJJ guys are brainwashed into repeating the mantra that size and strength don't matter, again BS. Bujinkan does have some great things to offer and yes, there is much more to life than MMA, so a comprehensive martial art could be of more overall benefit. Knowing some basic survival skills and weapons usage is as realistic as a cage fight in the world we live in. As mentioned above, Systema seems to be a great MA as well. Just keep an open mind when practicing these arts and don't believe ANY art's "size and strength we move naturally etc." dogma.
10/21/07 7:57 PM
JesseL

Edited: 21-Oct-07
lol...Karasu I agree with you 100 percent on the BJJ size and strength thing............
10/22/07 12:35 AM
smileythai

Edited: 22-Oct-07
I e-mailed the instructor again with no luck. It seems as though crobrun was correct. Should have just kept my mouth shut and wrote the thread *after* I had trained for awhile. lol Thanks for the information, karasu. There's a systema instructor in my area and one further south. I may check into them both, but I'm not holding my breath about the guy in my area. I think I've trained(sparred) with him before; if so, I wasn't impressed.
10/25/07 11:45 PM
karasu

Edited: 25-Oct-07
You're welcome smileythai, let us know how the systema turns out or if you find another Ninjutsu group to train with.
10/27/07 5:25 PM
smileythai

Edited: 27-Oct-07
Unfortunately, the local systema guy IS the same person I sparred with before. I'm not gonna waste my time. However, I will try to visit the other place sooner or later. I'll also keep an ear out for other bunjinkan prospects. It's a shame those guys are so secretive; it really makes it hard to find them! lol
10/29/07 3:19 PM
karasu

Edited: 29-Oct-07
"I think I've trained(sparred) with him before; if so, I wasn't impressed."--not sure if this is the case and maybe the guy really has nothing to offer, but just remember, just because you are a better fighter than another person do not assume that there is nothing you can learn from that person. Yes, in a one-on-one ideal fight scenario, a highly conditioned MMA athlete is probably going to defeat a practitionar of systema/bujinkan. Still, this same MMA athlete could learn a lot from these warrior arts. An MMA career generally lasts but a short time, these other arts are designed for a lifetime of comprehensive study.
10/29/07 11:08 PM
smileythai

Edited: 29-Oct-07
Believe me, karasu. I'm not bagging on the art this person studies. It's simply a case of the person not having the awareness to train realistically. I was several years retired from training combat sports at the time of our training session. The scenario was simple; I wanted to check out the core art he was teaching, and he and a senior student wanted to test themselves against a bjj/mma type opponent. I am still interested in the arts they offered, but I was let down by the physical skill of the practioners themselves. They were unathletic and completely unprepared to face a live, resisting opponent. And that has little to do with me, my skill sets, or my delivery system. It has everything to do with them not getting the most out of theirs.
10/31/07 6:01 PM
crobrun
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Oct-07
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/ninja_parade_slips_through_town
1/4/08 3:33 AM
supersaiyan

Edited: 04-Jan-08
"I'm hoping that if I am accepted into the school, that it doesn't turn out to be a bunch of mullet wearing wannabes prancing around in tabi boots." - LMFAO!
1/7/08 7:30 PM
merryprankster_au

Edited: 07-Jan-08 07:35 PM
I come from a more MMA background (Muay Thai, Boxing Judo, Wrestling). But have also trained in TKD, Karate and Japanese Jujitsu. I have always been intersetd in Ninjitsu but mainyl for the skills such as climbing, stealth, rolling etc Have also been intersested in the dirty fighing elements of Ninjitsu:) Could someone who has trained in Ninjitsu let em know how much these type of things are trained?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.