UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Best beginner rifle

9/16/07 10:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NinjaNate
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Sep-07

I just watched Red Dawn last night and I realized that if the Russians ever invaded my rifleman ship skills would be sorely lacking. I was wondering what you guys thought would be the best rifle to begin shooting with. Preferably something light but accurate and with enough power to take out a commie with one shot.
9/21/07 8:05 AM
Dark Knight
351 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Sep-07
Walmart has great prices. Look at a Remmington bolt action. But there are others just as good. Personally i go to a local guy who has a small shop, I pay a little more but I like to support him. The 5.56 is a good round, not too much recoil but you can hunt deer with it. Lots of ammo choices with it. With the rifle you can plink, get into competition, hunt, and as a bolt action you dont burn through ammo really fast. Get a reloading machine and have fun.
10/3/07 10:10 PM
swmnbjjer1

Edited: 03-Oct-07
you can drop someone with one shot with a 22lr I have several guns but since prices are going up i say buy a ruger 10/22 and a box of 500rds = total under $200 you can get good at shooting and do it cheap, then you can always upgrade
10/4/07 1:33 PM
Dark Knight
351 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Oct-07
Look at gunbroker.com to get an idea on prices.
10/8/07 12:36 PM
mrarmbar2you
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Oct-07
best beginner rifle, IMO:
10/10/07 4:08 AM
Dark Knight

Edited: 10-Oct-07
The 223 is a great round, you may stay with it for a long time.
10/10/07 9:04 PM
armlok
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Oct-07
Buy a Rem 700 in .308. w/ a sporter 24in barrel max, 20-22 is better ('smith will cut it down and recrown) for ease of carry. M14/M1A and AR platforms are great, but you want to shoot-n-scoot so bolt is good. Top it w/ a decent 2.5-10x scope like a Leupold. Use lowest ring that will allow enough clearnce or scope. Get a TIS sling (slip-cuff, not quick cuff) or Turner AWS sling and learn how to use them. Highly recommend hooking up with some Highpower rifle competitors/shooters, but don't get too sucked into comps....lots of money/gear. You just want to shoot and learn right? Buy decent 150gr ammo or quality surplus (LC, Aussie, S.African, etc) If you can hold ~1.5 MOA out to 600 you are good to go.At 100 yds practice fundamentals,positioning/NPA, etc. Longer ranges test you wind-reading skills and test/establishes your dope. Shoot slow fire to keep barrel wear down and concentrate on marksmanship fundamentals. After you burn the barrel out rebarrel with a quality custom #3-#5 contour barrel and have it bluprinted ~$700-$1200. Stockpile ammo, cach it and get a spare rifle setup to cache too. Go bowhunting, on the ground not treestand, to practice being a sneaky shit and develop slow, alert movemnt and observation skills. Wake up every morning and yell at the top of your lungs, "WHAT IS THE SPIRIT OF THE BAYONET?" and have your children answer "TO KILL!" When dropping kids off at school tell them "The only good commie is a" they should finish with, "A dead commie!" Buy surplus mil helmets and paint them baby-blue......shoot them at various ranges for practice. It's fun and good practice/conditioning. ;D WOLVERINES!
10/12/07 5:01 PM
crobrun
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Oct-07
A .22 such as the ruger 10/22 is probably a great first rifle for practice, but the .22 isn't a great stopper. What does the forum think about a lever action 30-30? Rob
10/13/07 1:16 AM
swmnbjjer1

Edited: 13-Oct-07
yeah a 30-30 is great for dear but not home defense, i would rather have a 22lr over a 30-30 for that you could get off more rounds with the 22 and the rounds won't go through walls. A 30-30 is a hunting round Home defense=shotgun or pistol with flashlight
10/13/07 5:33 AM
armlok
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Oct-07
30-30 with a scout scope and/or ghost ring sights is a great 150 yd gun.....but not really a fighting weapon. Not enough capacity for shooting it out with hordes of commies and not enough range for stand-off shoot and scoot. Going back to nijaNate's requirements to kill commies.... Caliber choices need to meet two main criteria for killing commies. Easy availability and enough power. .223 and .308 are tops, others do to, but with the widespread use of these calibers in LE and Mil, as well as the civilian population they are a no-brainer choice. From this point weapons plateform likewise should meet these two criteria. AR15 and clones are everywhere (.30 cal variants less so). So too is the Remmy 700. I much prefer a M14/M1Aover the AR, but it is less ergo and user friendly, so if you don't have alot training go for the easier weapons system. Remember the only good commie......is a dead one :D
10/15/07 5:10 AM
Dark Knight

Edited: 15-Oct-07
A handgun is best used to fight your way to a rifle. Google handgun vs rifle or pistol vs rifle. A lever action is not a bad choice, I own a winchester model 94 in 30-30. Its a great gun, cowboys loved it because they would put it in the holster of the saddle, never use it for a long time, it got dirty, wet bouced but when it came time it still shot. The 30-30 kicks alot more than my shotguns, you can get a lever action in many calibers. There are many good calibers in bolt action and semiauto. Buy a gun you can enjoy at the range.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.