UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Fried Chicken Request?!?

9/17/07 12:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mit
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Sep-07

So I made some fried chicken today for my wife(it's one of her favs)...but I noticed that it was good but the crust could have been waaaay better.

I guess I'm looking for a tasty fried chicken recipe.

Mine was basic:  Sink it in the buttermilk then put it into the dry mixture(Flour, salt, pepper, smoked paprika for the crust..)

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone.

9/17/07 11:58 AM
bigwilly
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fry it in lard, not kidding
9/17/07 12:34 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Sep-07 03:10 PM
I made some this weekend.. and it was my best attempt (only made 3-4 times). cut up 3 lb fryer, salt/pepper/garlic powder... let sit covered 1 hr in fridge 3 eggs and 1/3 cup milk for "egg bath" 3 cups flour, 1 TBSP white pepper, 2 TBSP "hot" paprika, 1 tsp salt Deep fried dark meat seperate from white meat. crispie goodness
9/17/07 5:45 PM
crescentwrench
238 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I put a few glugs of hot sauce in the buttermilk and the Tony Chachere's creole seasoning in the flour.  Other than that I pretty much do your deal.  My flour is pretty highly seasoned, maybe you just needed more. 

Did you rest the chicken after dredging it in flour?  I put mine on cooling racks and then that on a sheet pan and stow the chicken uncovered in the fridge for a while to let the crust "set" before frying. 

Also, did you pan fry or deep fry? Pan frying usually gives me a better (crisper) crust, though it seems to dry out the white meat a bit more than deep. Not that it matters because the wife eats that anyway and she likes chicken breast that is akin to a block of talc.

9/17/07 7:02 PM
Mit
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good suggestions.  I will try more seasoning, hotsauce in the milk and frying it in lard.  I will report back after I have tried it...or my wife will, if I die from consuming all that lard.

It was pan fried in about 1.5 inches of oil.  The pieces I ate were actually a little burned.

9/17/07 8:12 PM
Zoso
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Sep-07 11:31 PM
Well this might sound crazy but the recipe I use calls for only 3 minutes per side in hot oil then 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven. It was really quite tasty. Easily the best I had made. The rest was simple...I let it soak in buttermilk over night(or just a few hours if it is more of a spur of the moment type thing). Simply seasoned with salt and pepper. Make it as seasoned as you want...but I think that was the best way possible. It cooked it perfectly. Oven helped crisp it up and kept it nice and moist in the middle. Little to not greasy taste or texture.
9/18/07 2:39 AM
pa10002

Edited: 18-Sep-07
zoso thats how my grandmother used to fry chicken and pork chops fry it then finish it off in the oven and it tasted great. the few times I deep fried chicken I didn't do this, I just waited until the chicken floated in the fryer and I found the crust was always slightly burned.
9/18/07 7:33 AM
CR1chard

Edited: 18-Sep-07
I soak my chicken in buttermilk and hot sauce for at least 6 hours, and then I pull it out, let it drip-dry for a second, then stick it in a paper bag with a mixture of wheat flour, AP flour, garlic powder, and cayenne. I shake it around, and let it sit for 5 or so minutes before pulling the chicken out of the flour mixture - this + buttermilk coating makes a nice thick coating. I let them sit for a half hour or so uncovered in the fridge before frying in the deep fryer.
9/23/07 7:18 PM
Zoso
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Sep-07
I altered it a bit today. I added the hot sauce to the soak. A huge improvement. It was like 1/8th a cup to 1/2 gallon of buttermilk(4+ pounds of chicken and total guess on the amount of hot sauce). I added the creole seasoning to the garlic powder, salt, and pepper flour mixture. I do not know that I could improve upon it at this point. I really like the oven method and will continue to do so(though I only make it like 3 times a year.
10/12/07 1:12 PM
flemsnopes

Edited: 12-Oct-07
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7HJK6ryxDgg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param></object> This is pretty tasty and won't kill you quite as quickly as deep frying.
10/13/07 11:34 AM
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Oct-07
This thread sucks with no pics.
11/11/07 1:26 AM
jasonclk
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Nov-07
Alright, using input from this thread as well as recipes from www.foodnetwork.com I came up with a recipe that was fantastic. From the Food Network site, I used this recipe in particular for inspiration, as well as this one from Alton Brown.

For frying, I used this multipurpose cooker with 4.5qts peanut oil. I chose this unit because not only can it act as a fryer that can handle a whole chicken (with temps up to 375 deg F), but it can also be a boiler and a steamer.

For this attempt I used 7 chicken drum sticks.

First, I soaked the drumsticks in buttermilk (enough to almost cover ~1/2qt) in the fridge in a tupperware tub. I added ~2 tsp kosher salt, ~1tsp fresh cracked black pepper and 10 dashes of Tabasco sauce. The chicken was covered and soaked in the fridge for ~1.5 hrs. (Longer would be better, but I was hungry.)

While the chicken was soaking I made my flour mix in a 1 gallon Ziplock bag:

2 C All Purpose flour
1/2 TBSP fresh ground kosher salt
1/2 TBSP fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cajon seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder

When the chicken  was almost done soaking in the buttermilk, I made an egg  wash consisting of 3 eggs and 1/3 C of skim milk beaten together with a fork.  Make this in a bowl large enough to accommodate your largest piece of chicken. This egg wash chilled in the refrigerator while I was waiting for the chicken (~30 minutes or so), but I don't think it's necessary to allow the wash to rest.

After the chicken was done soaking in the buttermilk, dip it in the egg wash and coat thoroughly. For my drumsticks, I egg washed and put the legs 2 at a time into the Ziplock bag filled with my flour mix. Shake and mix the bag to coat the legs/chicken piece. Tap off the excess flour inside the bag and place the chicken piece on a cookie sheet. When all the chicken is floured, place the cookie sheet in the refrigerator. Allow the floured chicken pieces to rest in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour to an 1 hour.

While the floured chicken pieces are resting in the refrigerator, heat up the oil in your fryer or pan. It takes about 10 minutes to get a deep fryer or a pan-full of oil this hot. The longer the chicken is in the refrigerator resting, the better. So, don't sweat it if the apparatus heats up before your chicken is done resting.

If using a pan, use a deep cast iron skillet filled 1/2 way with oil on medium high heat. Whether using a deep fryer or a skillet with a thermometer, heat the oil to 325 deg F. Do not heat to 375! 325 is the best temp for fried chicken.

When ready dip the chicken into the hot oil, use tongs if you need to, I use my hands. Hold the chicken in the oil and slowly rotate it and allow it to cook before you drop all the way in the oil. This will prevent it from sticking to the fryer basket or pan bottom and burning. Always drop the thickest part of the piece into the oil first. Don't crowd the basket or pan. Rotate the pieces in the basket or pan throughout the cooking with tongs. Drumsticks and thighs in the fryrer at 325 deg. F should take about 14.5 - 15 minutes. White meat and pieces without bones will take ~1 - 2 minutes less.

Despite the use of Cajun seasoning, Tabasco sauce, black pepper and paprika, the spiciness of these ingredients went unnoticed by my girlfriend who hates spicy food. But, she loved the fried chicken. She claimed that it was the best fried chicken that she ever had. I also agree with her. Best fried chicken ever!

J
11/16/07 5:53 PM
Columi

Edited: 16-Nov-07
Jason, I made this FC the other night and I have to agree with you...it turned out great!!! I think the next time I do this I will experiment with some additional spicing because the chicken wasnt spicy at all. And I have a question. The chicken dropped the temp of my oil significantly...up to 15-20 degrees is one instance, is it wise to heat the oil above the temp you want to cook the chicken at considering the drop in temp? Or is it better to heat the oil to the desired temp (in this case 325)and allow to to drop once the food item is placed in?
11/16/07 10:14 PM
jasonclk
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Nov-07
glad you liked the recipe. good question about the oil temp. i don't know the answer to it. but, i think that with a 14 - 16 minute cook time that the oil will come back up to temp before the time is up. maybe allow the chicken to rest at room temp for a few minutes before putting it in the fryer. the fryer that i use has a temp control on it. so if the temp drops it will turn the heat on to bring it back to the proper temp. also, over loading the fryer will reduce the temp. try using less chicken if possible. i only cook 3 drumsticks at a time in mine.
11/21/07 4:45 PM
usurper
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Nov-07
ttt
11/21/07 8:18 PM
john76
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Nov-07
beer batter
12/3/07 7:02 PM
chadk
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Dec-07
Looks good. I may have to hit the store to try this myself.
1/31/08 9:21 PM
metrocksncn

Edited: 31-Jan-08
/For fried baked chicken: Dip in egg, roll in instant mashed potato flakes flavored with garlic powder, seasoned salt, freshly ground pepper and parsley. Bake at 350 until juices run clear....about 45 minutes to an hour. Delicious!
2/3/08 5:39 PM
shootfightermike
671 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Feb-08
ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.