UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Roy question for you about Savate

9/20/07 9:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
groundfighter2000
351 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Sep-07

Here are some quotes from a discussion on another subforum here: "I'm primarily a Muay Thai / Boxer. Never experienced Savate till I trained a couple of times with Rolando Garcia (4 Ranges in the JKD forum). The major difference I've seen between most kickboxing systems and Savate is RANGE. Damn! I got sniped so many times from such a long range that I thought I was imagining things. My honest take on this is that in the future, Savate will be used in MMA. They just have to make it MMA ready. Those chambered chasse and fouettes are easier to retract when a grappler gets hold of a single leg rather than a Muay Thai roundkick. Any of you guys experienced the same thing? " I was just wondering if you could give your opinion on these comments.
9/24/07 3:21 PM
groundfighter2000
351 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Sep-07
ttt
10/2/07 2:33 PM
groundfighter2000

Edited: 02-Oct-07
ttt
10/2/07 5:21 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

groundfighter2000, You hit the nail on the head! The major difference between Savate and other kickboxing styles IS range. Many people DO NOT get that. They look at Savate and curl their lips. Some even say, "Will those kicks really work?" I've even had a few of my own students says this during my JKD classes. One incident brings a smile to my face. Here's what happened: I was out of town, teaching seminars abroad. Susan , one of my assistant instructors, was teaching my JKD classes for me during this time. On one particular day, she was teaching the mechanics of the lead and rear leg fouette, as well as the importance of keeping the distance/range for each. One of the new guys in class made a smart-aleck remark to one of the other students after she had finished teaching the technique. Susan happened to overhear the comment, but said nothing to the student who made the comment. When I returned from teaching seminars abroad, Susan told me about the student who had made the smart-aleck remark. Well, since we were on the topic of kicks from Savate, I thought it would be a good idea for me to pull out my Savate shoes and spar with students on my first night back. After reviewing the mechanics of the fouette and stressing the importance of range, I decided it was time for all of us to spar with each other. Take a guess who my first sparring partner was? Yep, you guessed it. All I did was fouette, fouette, fouette! I peppered his calf, the inside and outside of his thigh, his stomach, his ribs, his kidneys, his left butt cheek, his spine, his left forearm, his left tricep and his left deltoid. After 30 seconds, he wanted to give up. I didn't beat him up, but I made him feel like my kicks were the precise distance they needed to be and his kicks and punches were JUST out of range. After all of us had changed partners several times, I went up to my first training partner at the end of class and asked, "So, what do you think of Savate?" He said, "Wow, those kicks hurt with the shoes!" I said, "You NOW have a different opinion of Savate." He looked at me curiously. I told him, "I heard what you said last week about the kicks in Savate. I wanted you to experience first hand what they felt like with the shoes on. Only through personal experience can a person's perspective be changed. And now that you have personally experienced Savate from a low level practitioner, you can only imagine what it would feel like if you had a high level practitioner in front of you!" So yes, Savate places a lot of emphasis on distancing. This is one of the reasons why I believe Bruce Lee was so fascinated with the art. When a person tests for second, third and fourth glove levels in Savate, distancing is more important than many other aspects of the art. So yes, distancing plays a MAJOR ROLE in Savate. However, distancing is not the major attraction to Savate, fakes and combinations are where it excels above the other striking styles! The old forms of Savate are much trickier (and very deceptive) than the newer versions of Boxe Francaise. If and when you get the chance, I highly recommend studying Savate. The rest of your striking abilities will be supercharged!!! Roy Harris
10/2/07 10:00 PM
groundfighter2000

Thanks for the response Roy! As usual I love the personal anecdotes!
10/3/07 8:45 AM
4 Ranges
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Oct-07
Great story! "I thought it would be a good idea for me to pull out my Savate shoes..." Nothing like a good pair of F1's to get the point across. At the RKC, they call it "manual explanation." :)
10/3/07 11:03 AM
twinkletoesCT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center
lol @ "manual explanation" We need a term for "foot-ual explanation" as in the story above.
10/3/07 6:59 PM
groundfighter2000

"pod-ual"?!
11/2/07 9:08 AM
4 Ranges

Edited: 02-Nov-07
"The old forms of Savate are much trickier (and very deceptive) than the newer versions of Boxe Francaise." When Armando was at the CT seminar recently, he did a 1 day presentation of Boxe Francaise, then a 1 day presentation of old savate (chausson). He did a combo that ended with a low fouette, but he did something very minute that made me flinch to setup the low fouette. Then he showed me that it came from the old arming/chambering drill from savate.
11/2/07 11:09 AM
demandango
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

can savate be useful in an mma context where no footwear is worn?
11/2/07 12:07 PM
twinkletoesCT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center
Yes. Savate without shoes is like BJJ without a gi. Though certain attacks must be modified, the hallmarks of the structure through which Savate operates (especially distance, rhythm, and timing) are still highly effective.
11/2/07 12:58 PM
4 Ranges

Edited: 02-Nov-07 12:05 PM
demandango, look up Farid Khider. Savate/MT champion. http://youtube.com/watch?v=XOp9kMWeaoM

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.