UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> 2007 ALL-ARMY COMBATIVES EVENT

9/20/07 9:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Combat MMA
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Sep-07 10:32 PM
Fort Bragg Combat MMA

I have not been on here in a bit, but I did notice there has not been a lot of talk of the 3rd Annual All-Army Combatives Event, which is only 3 weeks away!!  I cannot believe it has a been a year since the last event.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone and even more to being able to compete this year after missing year 1 while deployed and year 2 with a jump injury.

Much of our our team is getting in on Tuesday, and I will try to set-up a autograph session if needed. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Jeff

9/21/07 2:58 PM
gryfen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Sep-07

Hasn't quite been a year.... '06 tourny was in November.

Are there plans in the works to shift it again next year, or leave it in September?

9/21/07 3:30 PM
macpfighter

Jeff, Glad to hear you'll be competeing this year. I hope the guys in your weight class are ready for a serious fight. Sorry I won't be there to see you in person. Good luck!
9/21/07 3:36 PM
SFC Matt Larsen

It is about time to start getting your registrations in!
9/21/07 5:55 PM
Combat MMA
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fort Bragg Combat MMA

Our registration should be in by the end of next week.

As an FYI to the group, the registration deadline is 05 October at 1700 if I remember correctly..

Jimm, sorry to hear you will not be around. Would liked to have seen you kicking some ass as well.

Yurk

9/21/07 6:24 PM
rafie

Jeff I will there and yu better have that table for autograph sep up. I really want to fight for I just got my arthroscopy ( Knee Shit) done today. I will see what my doctor said and my coach wich he is a ortho PA as well. I will not stop training and do to my limits. Looking forward for the autograph section and pics as well cuz i was 82 Airborne before and I competed in the 1st combatives tournament there and Matt was there as a referee, lol Rafie "Little Brown guy" form korea now in gordon lol
9/22/07 7:06 PM
Combat MMA

Edited: 22-Sep-07
Fort Bragg Combat MMA

I will save you a signed 8x10 of our team...

See you there Rafie.

9/24/07 12:23 AM
rafie

Edited: 24-Sep-07
Jeff Finally we will meet. This time I can not fight. I just got surgery on my knee
9/24/07 2:01 AM
Combat MMA

Edited: 24-Sep-07
Fort Bragg Combat MMA

Is Gordon sending a team at least? Tell Ben I said hey and hopefully we will see both of you there.

Jeff

9/25/07 11:07 AM
rafie

Edited: 25-Sep-07
jeff Maybe not a complete team but we try no balls in this post. Just lazy NCOs Rafie I try my best to comeback from ths knee scope
9/26/07 10:15 AM
SFC Matt Larsen

Edited: 26-Sep-07
I just heard a rumor that Ft. Bragg is still planning on sending a consolidated team, contrary to my wishes. Steps will be taken. Also, I just got confirmation that the Military Channel will be shooting at least three one hour long episodes. That is unless we don't have but thirty or so competetitors because some of our people care more about being on the winning team than having a large successful tournament. As of today, there are 29 competitors registered. I have treid to be nice about it but if you value the Army championship, get your teams registration in. If you value the tournament, send as many people/teams as you can. If you care more about yourselves, don't come. You can always go to NAGA. They give out swords. Matt
9/26/07 3:09 PM
TerribleTed

Sir, In the event of a small turnout will you consolidate some of the weight class so we can have more matches? Thanks Ted
9/26/07 9:17 PM
DBrallier

Edited: 26-Sep-07 09:24 PM
Consolidated team? Surely of the 43,000 Soldiers on Fort Bragg those two commands can come up with 14 guys each to make a team. We did it with about 2,000 available troops here. We have guys on our team that are only level 1's. Train the people you have! The bigger tournament the better. Allowing consolidated teams can do nothing good for future All-Army tournaments, I think it would be allowing something that could get out of control in the future. Dave
9/26/07 10:32 PM
Combat MMA

Fort Bragg Combat MMA

To my knowledge, the registration is due NLT 05 October at 1700. Any good coach would be smart to wait until the last moment to send in the form on the chance that the team were to lose a competitor at the last moment as we did with 2 team members this week alone. That is just me thinking.

BTW, the Fort Bragg team is not a consolidated team, it is a post team.

See you all at Benning.

9/27/07 9:31 AM
DBrallier

Edited: 27-Sep-07 09:36 AM
Lets examine for a moment shall we, according to Webster's dictionary: "CONSOLIDATE: to join together into one" Last year JFKSWC and Bragg = 2 teams This year JFKSWC and Bragg = 1 team Looks consolidated to me. Sorry CombatMMA you have a lot of good points in these forums, but I have to agree with Mr. Larsen. What you guys are doing goes against what the Combatives program is about. We should be spreading the training to every Soldier and making everyone better, not narrowing the training and excluding people for the sole purpose of having a better chance at winning. If I could bring 2 teams I would in a second.
9/27/07 1:08 PM
SFC Matt Larsen

Edited: 27-Sep-07
I am learning a good lesson in the way people think and what motivates them. I believe that next year the rule will only allow post teams from posts that do not have a division or independant brigade. I am not sure how that effexts the support personell on the larger posts. I will have to give it more thought. The bottom line is that more teams is better becuase more Soldiers get to compete. Teams that identify with units are better because they motivate commanders to a) have unit championships and b) pay for the Soldier who represent their unit to come. By the way, those are the reasons it is a team competition in the first place. An individual competition will soon become what the Army wrestling competition is. No commander wants to let their Soldiers compete in that one because they do not get anything out of it. An individual combatives competition would be the same.
9/27/07 7:38 PM
Combat MMA

Fort Bragg Combat MMA

I have no interest in a debate on the internet over our team. We have broken no rules and there are contributing circumstances that have helped lead to a single post team. I am more than happy to discuss them at the symposium. Maybe the discussion will help mold the rules for future changes.

I am disappointed in any kind of comment that would suggest that anyone involved with the Bragg program does not care about the Modern Army Combatives Program or the success of the All-Army Event, especially when many of our inviduals have done as much as anyone in the Army over the past couple years to move the program forward.

If anyone has a personal issue with any member of the Bragg team, I am more than happy to discuss it in person at Fort Benning.

Jeff Yurk

9/27/07 10:29 PM
Combat MMA

Fort Bragg Combat MMA

Dave, if you would like to continue this conversation on your own thread, feel free. It is obvious you do not have the facts of this event or past events.

This thread is closed by me.

9/28/07 7:15 AM
mrchips

Edited: 28-Sep-07
Matt/Dave - I can see your point, but I would argue that the perfect world you are looking for doesn't exist. Yurk has built the program on Bragg from basically nothing, but with our deployment pace there just hasn't been time to build up the 82nd "organic" team. Matt - you always talk about building this program from the grassroots - the troops. That's exactly what the Bragg team is - troops who are interested in competing and have the time to do so. As time goes on, and the program continues to grow, Bragg will undoubtably field multiple teams with a healthy amount of intra-Bragg rivalry going on. But that's just not the stage of development the program is in right now. While you may not prefer Yurk's methods for fielding a team, I think you should be thankful Bragg is fielding a team at all. MACP needs as much support as it can get right now - it is not yet to the self-sustaing stage. So save the complaints, and the threats, and realize that the program will get to the point you want it to, but its not there yet. As Yurk said, this topic can be discussed much more productively at the Symposium.
9/28/07 11:43 AM
SFC Matt Larsen

By the way, how did the Ft. Bragg championships go? Matt
9/28/07 1:25 PM
Combat MMA

Fort Bragg Combat MMA

Mr Larsen,

I agree, putting all the team talk behind up, and on to better subjects.

The Fort Bragg championships went well. I was a little disappointed with the amount of competitors, but of course, all 4 BCT's are deployed as well as most of the SF community here on post.

We choose to complete our Championship event during late summer, a bit earlier then most posts, as we wanted more time to be able to train for the event and get more competitors involved. I knew our OPTEMPO was very high, so having the event earlier allowed more soldiers that were getting ready to deploy the chance to still compete. For me, that is the point of these events, to give as much opportunity for soldiers to get our there and compete. I was disappointed that we had no 125lb competitors, and we have continued to try to search out those soldiers to get them motivated to train.

We invited all finalists, former finalists, all post Level III's and Level IV's to still come and practice and compete for a final cut down to those slots. Unfortunately, most of our finalists have since deployed and with the exception of me and CPT Horvath (who's wife just had a baby), all 82nd Level IV's are deployed. The SWCS community recently graduated a Level IV course, so together we have tried to piece together crew. To say the least it has been a challenge to get everyone together. But, I think things will work out for the best, and hopefully we will be able to bring a team to represent our post in a positive way, win or lose. We have a rich tradition here at Fort Bragg, and as one of the most deployed posts in the Army, it is our hope that we will be able to represent that history and all of the Fort Bragg soldiers.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at Fort Benning.

9/28/07 2:20 PM
SFC Matt Larsen

Jeff, I know you guys will have a great team. There are a lot of great things coming out of you guys program. For everyone else, Ft. Bragg has led the way in creating intra-post competition. They have had a series of competitions throughout the year. This is a very good model. Optimally, on a post, each major unit will host a tournament open to all Soldiers on the post as well as a unit championship. At the next level, each post should hold a open tournament, so that Soldiers from other posts can come, as well as a post championship. Championships would progress to intermediate rules at the brigade level and advanced rules at division or post level. Open tournaments would use only the standard rules. We could also start our handicapping system at open tournaments. Matt
10/5/07 9:34 PM
TerribleTed

Edited: 05-Oct-07
Gents, Now that the 5th has came and went, did the number of competitors go up? Ted
10/6/07 1:46 AM
Combat MMA

Edited: 06-Oct-07
Fort Bragg Combat MMA
There is a very solid turn out for the 2007 event per the Combatives School.
10/6/07 3:41 PM
DBrallier

Edited: 06-Oct-07
Anyone know the approximate number of teams / participants registered?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.