UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> baton carry standards?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

9/23/07 11:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ironmongoose
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Sep-07

A friend of mine is a middle manager in St. John Ambulance, and baton carry is beginning to be an issue with their organization. There is a legitimate need for self-protection, the members have been assaulted by drunks from time to time. They're starting to do personal protection courses, I've offered to teach restraint stuff as well. For those who are not familiar with SJA, they're a first responder organization whose members do first aid at events like hockey games, exhibitions, etc. They have sort of a "paramilitary" organization, so they occasionally appeal to weirdos who are wannabe cops, maybe "tactical geeks", etc. My friend is a fairly responsible, intelligent, and educated guy, but he does have to be concerned with what other people are doing within the organization, if there were ever to be an incident where the baton was used. There are relatively few LEGAL restrictions on civilian carry of the extendable baton in my area, but my friend wants to devise a policy regarding carrying batons by members on duty. I thought that it would be helpful to look at the policies and training standards used in other professions and jurisdictions. I heard someone casually remark on a forum that in Cali you need to complete a course in order to carry a baton. I tried looking this up, and had no luck--all I could see was that security guards are required to have an 8 hour course to carry the baton ON DUTY. Do any of you know more about this, and particularly about what the courses involves, how the course providers are accredited by BSIS, etc? What else can anyone tell me about training solutions and policies in other professions or jurisdictions with respect to the baton?
5/6/08 9:10 PM
fokket

I'm fairly amateur in this subject matter, but won't OC spray be better in this situations?

Id advise to carry baton as well, but since they are drunk, with OC, you can at least blind them temporarily.

5/7/08 1:35 PM
ironmongoose

Yeah, this is a really old thread. The guy chose to go with OC.

Still no answer about the main question though.
1/5/09 5:21 PM
KidJustice
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best court defensible course for Baton is the PPCT (pressure point control tactics) baton course.  It is under www.warriorsciencegroup.com I'm a full instructor for defensive tactics, handcuffing and baton.
1/12/11 3:18 PM
ironmongoose

This isn't a question about training. It's a question about policy and protocol.
1/21/11 1:20 AM
Team Python
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In California only LEO's and security guards can carry batons. Security guards must have a baton permit in order to carry one on duty only...can't carry it while not working.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.