UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Golf Swing

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

9/25/07 1:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
pitbullxyz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Sep-07

Roy, have you broken down your golf swing/game the way you've broken down the techniques of the martial arts you study? Do you have a one plane, or two plane swing? Curious to hear your answers, thanks.
9/26/07 2:00 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Sep-07
pitbullxyz,

I have broken down my golf swing and golf game in separate and uniquely identifiable areas, just like I have done with my martial arts training.

For example, when I go to the driving range to practice, here is a short list of things I focus on when practicing (keep in mind, when I write the word "focus", I am speaking of focusing EXCLUSIVELY on that one topic to the exclusion of all other topics):

1. My stance in general.
2. Where I place my weight at address?
3. Where I place my weight at the beginning of the back swing?
4. Where I place my weight at the top of the back swing?
5. Where I place my weight at impact?
6. Where I place my weight at the end of my follow through?

NOTE: The answers have to be very specific. For example:
- At address, my weight is centered between my head and between the ball and heel of my feet.
- At the beginning of my back swing, the weight must be centered over the heel and ball of my right foot.
- At the end of my follow through, the weight  must be over the heel and ball of my left foot and on the outside edge of my left foot.

7. My grip in general?
8. My grip pressure?
9. Focus my grip pressure on the last 3 fingers of the left hand, the middle 2 fingers of the right hand, and the pad of the thumb of the right hand?
10. My swing tempo?
11. My swing speed?
12. My swing path?
13. The position of my clubface at impact?
14. My head position at address for irons?
15. My head position at address for my driver?
16. My head position at the beginning of the backswing?
17. My head position at impact for the driver?
18. My head position at impact for my irons?
19. How clean was contact with the ball?
20. My balance at follow through.

NOTE: These are just a small handful of the areas I train when I am at the driving range.

Let me give you an idea of how I train at the driving range:

Let's say I am going to focus this training session on keeping my head down through impact. I will hit forty or fifty balls and focus on keeping my head down. In other words, I will not look up and watch the flight of the ball. Rather, I will focus on the feel of each and every single point of impact. By focusing on the point of impact, I can tell whether the ball went right, left or straight. I can tell whether the ball curved left or right. I cal tell whether the trajectory of the ball was low, high or middle.

If I am able to keep my head down for forty to fifty balls, then I move on to another area of training. If my head comes up at any point in time, I continue practicing until I can keep my head down on every shot. If that takes the entire large bucket of balls - all 130 of them - then so be it. I came there to practice, and i want to get something out of the practice.

Yes, it is more fun to watch the balls flying through the air. But I did not come to the range to enjoy each shot. Rather, I came focused on reaching a specific goal.

On some weeks, I have focused the entire week on one subject! That means, I have spent eight to ten hours on clubhead path, or tempo, or grip pressure, or shaping the shots, or balance.

While this process is tedious, the results show up on the golf course in less than one month!

Roy Harris
10/27/07 9:59 AM
kchiasson
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Oct-07
thanks for that advice! myself, I am working on the weight shift and keeping it on the inside of my back foot(right) as I tend to sway a bit going back.
10/27/07 9:23 PM
Siciliano
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Oct-07
Uncle Roy, The next time you go to the philippines, I will hook you up with my former teammates in golf. A lot of them have turned pro. I used to play competitively with a 9 handicap. =) Toby
10/29/07 1:20 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Oct-07
Toby, Thank you very much! I would love to meet them, as well as play golf in the PI. Roy

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.