UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> Does Luis Gutierrez Post Here?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

9/27/07 5:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GladiatorGannon
366 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Sep-07

Does Luis Gutierrez Post Here?
9/27/07 6:03 PM
GladiatorGannon
366 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Sep-07 06:08 PM
after a brief search, i see that he does. i asked this question on another forum, and i was referred to you. any input would be appreciated. my question - "i'm working with an AHL enforcer on his fight game. very athletic, tough and experienced, but undersized (which is the only thing that has kept him out of the big time). unfortunately, i don't know jack $hit about hockey fighting, so i don't know what parts of the MMA game would be worthwhile to work with him. any suggestions from experienced hockey fighters? also, he said the grip fighting was very important, so i'm thinking that some judo style gripfighting stuff might be helpful for the jersey. any gi gripfighting experts want to chime in?" from JudoInfo.com - "I'd suggest checking out some of Luis Gutierrez's clinch material. He's the head of the Florida branch of the Straight Blast Gym & he has a Judo background although I don't know the extent of his training. I recently saw a video clip where he demonstrated MMA with gi which he said is "basically hockey". I was very interested in the level of detail surrounding how grip fighting & off balancing intereacted with strikes & how that differed from normal (no-gi) MMA. It looked like a lot of fun! "
9/28/07 1:33 PM
mandalalisten
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Sep-07
Luis is good people. Great teacher. Remarkable flow to his technical game. I'll offer my two cents that may or may not be offered on some dvd somewhere. What is it?: Grips are natural extentions of where you put your hands for no-gi control. Safety?: Regardless of what grips you learn remember not to grip INSIDE, your fingers will get wound up and broke. Always grip OUTSIDE, you get more leverage and maintain control from a variety of directions and you can switch and let go of grips easier. Progress?: Hang a Gi over a pullup bar and practice pullup sets from different grips. Progressing?: Switch grips on the up or down stroke. Gi / T-shirt: Sport / Street ?: It's good to know how to use a t-shirt as well as you learn the best leverage because a t-shirt will rip if you do it wrong, but it will stretch and aid contraction if you do it right. These translate over into gi work as subtler "hands off" control. Meaning you want to avoid feeling "fidgety" when you are getting grips. Dave
9/28/07 4:11 PM
PKF
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Sep-07
Having worked only a little "clinch with cloth" (compared to other areas) I too am very interested in hearing what Luis has to say.... Myself coming from more of a stand up background (at least when I was playing hockey..so long ago..) my 2 cents will no doubt be lacking in grip info. This is some of what we worked on when I coached "hockey fighting" to a couple of pro/semipro players a few years back: - rear straight hand power punching - rear uppercut - lead hand "jackhammer" punching with shirt grip (thumb up and down/ straight and uppercut) - off balancing by driving in,circling out,shoulderpad pulls - hitting when he is off balance - create an angle (by off balancing or circling or switching leads/grips) - short bob&weave to counter grip/stiff arm - "toe-ing in" for power/balance when punching - duck feet for power/balance when punching - modified "slewfoot" We also played around with stick strips and a bunch of other ?tricks?. Hope that helps a little. -Jason.
9/29/07 4:04 PM
Luis Gutierrez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Sep-07 05:12 PM

In the mix with 15 hours of privates this weekend gents but this is probably my favorite subject right now as far as the MA go. Will post at length Monday. Thanks for the opportunity :) -Luis

This clip is a bit old but has some clinch with cloth:  http://www.isrmatrix.org/videos/ISRPM_clipDSL.wmv

10/1/07 4:27 PM
Luis Gutierrez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Oct-07 04:33 PM
GG, I am not sure how much I can help with your situation via text here but will give it a shot. I suggest looking into any medium be it DVDs or internet youtube clips etc for material with foot trips and grip fighting in it. Much more than for throws, the subtle tugs and set up are there in the foot sweeps and initial off balancing from right off the grips. Combat Sambo has some fantastic clips as do some combat jiu-jistu stuff but these are just terms and when plugged into a search engine will give you plenty of kool-aid ready packages so be patient and look through them. What you are looking for is clips and tournaments where its mma with a jacket. (Without using any art's specific terminology and sticking with what grips do...) Staggered grips that allow for both a piking or straight arm along with a bent or lever arm will permit the most twisting options and they also work for effective striking as the pike arm keeps opponent at bay and can be collopased to close the distance for strikes. Equally placed grips work more for direct pushing and pulling and wok excellent as off beats to set up any twisting or circling as grips change. Any same side grip inside and beneath that of your opponents offers you the ability to lift your own arm (elbow up) to collapse thier distance, slightly turn them, and allows you to punch them where they can not do the same until they release. Some collar grips on you (especially with jerseys and softer jackets) can be trapped at times by overhooking them to the point where they are caught and their wrists are twisted in place as you strike. Again, I am horrible writing on techniques and prefer discussing concepts on forums. When using dirty boxing/ dirty judo the idea is to use off balancing as a strike itself so while striking you are basically hitting, off balancing, hiiting, off balancing etc and if doing so correctly, can launch throws off of your opponent's attempts to keep covered and on thier feet. The clip above shows a tiny bit of it but their is tons of possibilities there. What I have been mostly focusing on through the ISR is classes and sessions where the sport training is all with jackets and both judo/ sambo and boxing/ muay thai are blended off of grips and off balancing. I use to call it jits with hits or clinch with cloth so some material may be out there with me teaching it somewhere. I think the SBGi camp set has a small section where I show some. Anyhow, with a few rules to assure you are training specifically for what you need be it hockey, self-defense, sport etc, you get the most of what the combative sports have to offer along what most people need in terms of hand to hand fighting when it comes to functional techniques. In 2008 i will release some ISR DVDs that cover this in depth and shows the grappling and striking isolated then integrated so it can be worked and re-worked. Cloth changes everything and I know most people can't appreciate that until they start sparring mma with a kimono on just for fun. If you allow taking the cloth over the head, using it to pin, slam and tie up as you strike, you instantly see an entirely different "sport" come up if not a better method for self- defense training. T-shirt chokes are tighter than some gi chokes once on and you can also work off of belts, jean /pant waist lines, pant bottoms and even jewelry (thick chains) to off balance, hit and throw. Hope this at least gives you some options if for research more than anything, -Luis
10/2/07 8:56 AM
melvinferd

Edited: 02-Oct-07
"In 2008 i will release some ISR DVDs that cover this in depth and shows the grappling and striking isolated then integrated so it can be worked and re-worked. Cloth changes everything and I know most people can't appreciate that until they start sparring mma with a kimono on just for fun. If you allow taking the cloth over the head, using it to pin, slam and tie up as you strike, you instantly see an entirely different "sport" come up if not a better method for self- defense training." Really interested in this material. This may be a silly question :) ... Luis have you found that people with a judo background have a massive advantage with this kind of training? Or is it essentially such a different kind of animal that people with different backgrounds are bringing skills to the party? thanks very much
10/2/07 2:55 PM
Luis Gutierrez

Edited: 02-Oct-07
Melvin, Not all the time. Obviously they have the grips and foot sweeps etc but they still have to learn how to strike properly and then do so in an integrated way. Otherwise, they are just doing judo which like boxing, if done long enough is more than what you need against the average hand to hand confrontation but are not complete in and of themselves. In other words, no clear cut answer as its really an individual thing how one learns and how fast. Same goes for MMA. Sometimes guys that come in with strong wrestlling or striking backgrounds take longer in some ways to learn all the details because they always initially go back to what is common to them. -Luis
11/14/07 7:45 AM
melvinferd

Edited: 14-Nov-07
hey luis thanks for that. its a style of "sport" im really keen to train in. my background is basically all standup and am currently training muay thai. i want to continue with this focus and not spread myself too thin by joining other clubs if i can avoid it for now. however with a longer term goal of getting into some clinch with cloth, ive been thinking of taking up judo. any advice? to be honest, i dont have any ambitions to be a judoka haha. however i currently live in japan and arent too far away from the kodokan. so quality instruction wouldnt be a problem. i am starting to get more clinch at the thai club so thats atleast something in the general direction. thanks for any comments
11/14/07 12:45 PM
Luis Gutierrez

Edited: 14-Nov-07
Cross training is the start then over time integration happens naturally at its own pace. Obviously, if you have someone who has already done this work it really helps the learning curve and saves plenty of time going down certain avenues" that will not pay off as well as others. A good sambo coach, for example, can serve in this fashion. I would surely train Judo to get the basics at least and then start the work to blend the striking into grips and set ups. Like mma, you cant master each range via mastering each art because of time so what you want to do is have a soolid grasp of the fundamentals in each range or within the specific rules/ strategy of your sport or ma goals then see which one you naturally excell at and emphasize that as the center from which the others build from and around. I am crunched on time but am really trying to complete as set on my approach to the above. In the meantime, I suggest you do what we started to do many moons ago. Find training partners will to spar with jackets on and start introducing your striking and judo as you learn and improve those. Thanks for the thread and opportuunity, -luis
11/16/07 3:38 PM
Tball

Edited: 16-Nov-07
Luis, Has your Australian trip been yet, if so how did it go? Another one planned? T
11/19/07 5:11 PM
Luis Gutierrez

Edited: 19-Nov-07
Tball, The trip was cancelled as the larger part of the team I was to be working with got deployed and some of the others were put on on assignment for elections. My contact person there will be travelling to the states to train with me in 2008. Hopefully he can start others up in Oz when he does so. As far as the BJJ and So Flo, it was not the emphasis of the trip and so those venues were cancelled upon the ISR falling through. -Luis
11/20/07 1:00 AM
Tball

Edited: 20-Nov-07
Luis, Shame it had to be cancelled, but I guess that is the nature of the work of people interested in that material. I actually thought you would get a better responce in Australia with SBGi/MMA/Jiujitsu material then the ISR at this stage. Take that with a grain of salt though as I've never tried to organise seminars for either. T.
12/7/07 9:15 AM
LEMon
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Dec-07
ttt
2/27/08 10:11 AM
melvinferd

Edited: 27-Feb-08
hi Luis, any update on the planned clinch with cloth dvd set? thanks
2/28/08 3:19 PM
Luis Gutierrez

Edited: 28-Feb-08
Nothing as of yet Melv. Editing pc died and tied to gym events for the next couple of months. I apologize for the delays but will surely post any news when I am able to start shooting and editing again. -Luis
7/10/08 6:56 AM
melvinferd

hi Luis,
any chance the clinch set will be released this year? thanks
7/10/08 7:31 PM
Luis Gutierrez

To be completed in 2008. :)

Shooting schedule is throughout this summer. Huge thanks for hanging in with the support.

-Luis
7/18/08 10:17 PM
groundfighter2000
580 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for later reading
9/21/08 12:39 AM
melvinferd

hi Luis,

dont know if youve started filming the set or not. if not, could i make a request on the content?

many clinch sets ive seen concentrate on setting up the takedown. but few go into the principles of avoiding being taken down. ie, the underlying ideas and drills to keep the fight standing.

possible you could go into this area in regards to clinching with cloth? look forward to seeing the set. maybe for christmas :)

thanks

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.