UnderGround Forums

NHLGround >> Pens have potential for dynasty??

9/28/07 5:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tito Or Tease
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Sep-07

When their best player isn't old enough to drink I think this team has huge potential. Malkin and Crosby.... Are they the next coming of Jagr and Lemieux?
9/28/07 10:46 PM
PR
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Sep-07
Uh, there's this thing called a "salary cap" that will make a dynasty impossible.
9/29/07 10:28 AM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Sep-07
Proper cap management will make a dynasty possible. Look at the other major leagues with a cap. Yes, the Pens are set up to possibly have one, having the best player in the league, 2 more excellent young centers as well MAF in net. They do need some more D though.
9/29/07 12:27 PM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How about we talk about that after they actually win one first. I'm talking as in the next couple years. Do they have some scary young talent? Definitely. Then again the Rangers had been mighty good over the years at getting all kinds of talent with little to show for. Same with the Sharks. The Ducks are much closer to becoming a Dynasty but I can't see them repeating, it's just too competitive.
9/29/07 10:29 PM
TorontoMike

No grit.
9/30/07 11:47 PM
goeb
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Sep-07
I think people ar ejumping to conclusions to fast. The jury is still out on M.A. Fleury. They need a solid shutdown defenseman, and heck, a shutdown line in general. I admit they'll be a great offense team to watch for year,s but i don't know about a dynasty yet, its so hard to do in the new NHL and with 29 other teams competing against you. I mean which teams would you considered dynasties since the 90's, and over how many amount of seasons?
10/1/07 11:34 AM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Oct-07
Agreed no real dynasties lately but when you're dealing with a generational player like Sid, that makes it a real possibility.
10/5/07 4:36 PM
metrocksncn

Edited: 05-Oct-07
"Uh, there's this thing called a "salary cap" that will make a dynasty impossible." not exactly in this case. Crosby signed a modest 6 year extension this past off season. This deal leaves plenty of cap room to sign Malkin and Staal and some of the other young talent. D Ryan Whitney has already signed a 4 year extension. I think that if some of the young talent see Crosby being a leader and being modest in contract negotiations, then some of the talent will respond in kind. Im not saying that all of them will, but some may. Crosby could have taken Lemieux & Co. to the cleaners in his contract negotiations, but he didn't. A lot of players will accept less money to play on a team that has a chance to win, particularly veterans, not to mention a chance to play with Crosby. Thanks to Crosby's modesty there is plenty of cap room left to sign the other talent.
10/5/07 4:50 PM
metrocksncn

"Are they the next coming of Jagr and Lemieux?" Malkin is no Jagr in my opinion. He has talent, yes but I don't think that he could put the Pens on his back like Jagr did. The fans show up at the Mellon Arena here in Pittsburgh to see Croby, not Malkin. Sure we are very excited about the talent on this team but make no mistake about it, Crosby is the main attraction here. Lemieux and Jagr were peers on the ice, Crosby and Malkin are not, Crosby stands alone.
10/5/07 7:38 PM
PR
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Thanks to Crosby's modesty there is plenty of cap room left to sign the other talent." I dont think you've done some simple math man. The Pens are this year already at $41 million, and Crosby's cap hit goes from 3.7 to 8.7 mil. Then next year Fluery's contract is up. Then Malkin and Staal the year after.
10/6/07 3:34 PM
snigglefish

Edited: 06-Oct-07
Crosby kept to one shot on goal last night by a 38 year old Glen Wesley. GO CANES!
10/8/07 3:03 AM
Sothy

Edited: 08-Oct-07
I do think that people forget how good Jagr was/is...hell, he was the only under 25 year old player to make Hockey News' best 50 of all time back in 1998. Jagr has two Stanleys (including one were Lemieux was injured for a good part of the playoffs if memory serves), and he has an Olympic gold as well. Something like six scoring championships, etc.
10/8/07 2:40 PM
goeb
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Oct-07
^ agreed. But no one can predict how much of a premadonna malkin will get once hes is like 32 years old. I always liked jagr as a player, but lets face it, if he's unhappy he doesn't give it 100%. When he starts caring about winning, his team , well succeeds as expected (i.e., Rangers last couple of years). Ever since Jagr left the Pens he's been different, I can't really compare Crosby and Malkin to Lemieux and Jagr just yet, especially considering they are both centers and more of a 1-2 punch. Plus if you want to be mentioned in the same breath as Mario, you have a ton to prove not only in the skill department but also in terms of heart.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.