UnderGround Forums

GolfGround >> hand release in golf swing

10/5/07 12:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
drjim
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Oct-07

A friend of my brothers told me that the hand release is the most important aspect of any golf swing. He has a 2 index. Small guy about 5'6" tall with a pot belly. Can drive the ball consistently 260-270. He says that when he is playing badly he has to get back to the swing thought of having the back of the left hand facing the target at impact. He told me that I am too tense to allow a proper hand release. Also told me that the wrist movement is composed of 2 actions. One is the wrist cock and the other is the horizontal breaking of the wrist through impact. Meaning at impact the right wrist is cupped and the left is flat but through impact the positions are reversed. Any thoughts?
10/5/07 3:40 PM
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been playing on and off for a while and I know there is a good golf game in there somewhere. Last weekend was an example. I'm trying to figure this out, I'm inconsistent as hell most of the time. I went out and shot a goddamn 61 on the front nine. Just sprayed the ball all over the place. Every hole had at least one penalty stroke, I was hacking and duffing. Once I got to the back nine, my driver straightened out and I had, at one point, 4 GiRs in a row. I botched the par 4 18th and finished with a 44. I like to think that I started doing what BK is suggesting here: turning my hands over through impact. But I don't know. I didn't consciously try to do to much differently, but I just suddenly had better ball striking.
10/5/07 5:10 PM
Animal Chin
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"get back to the swing thought of having the back of the left hand facing the target at impact."

yessir, that's a good swing thought.

releasing the club through the impact area is extremely important for distance and spin.  your timing has to be near perfect, though, but that's why you practice.  shoulders turn, hips turn, then the hands release the club. 

look at a slow motion video of ben hogan's swing to see perfection in releasing the club through impact.  then record yours and see how it looks next to hogan's

10/6/07 11:58 AM
drjim

Edited: 06-Oct-07
Having a 13.4 index my scores are all over the place. Best score ever was an 81 on a course with a 134 slope rating. I can shoot 86 one day and 102 the next week. When I do shoot in the 80's I have more shots that when through impact my hands feel very solid and I feel like I'm accelerating through the ball. Anyways good golfing to all and keep your head down and may the wind always be at your back.
10/7/07 5:54 PM
WilliamOfOckham

Edited: 07-Oct-07

Bathroom Break - The best free videos are right here

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.