UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> civic is taking a dump...

10/12/07 5:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JoshLydell
275 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Oct-07

the check engine light flashes once for an oxygen sensor...my obd2 reader also includes a p0420 code, "catalyst efficiency below threshold" anyone else think i should just defoul the secondary o2 sensor and be done with it?
10/13/07 2:23 PM
ChDnny
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Oct-07
defoul o2 sensor as in unplugging it? the o2 sensors are vital to getting the engine into optimum performance(no o2 sensor, it goes into limp home mode). in california(prob in other states too) there are warranties for emission systems maybe you can look up if its still available to your car depending on the year of the car and what component needs to be replaced.
10/17/07 9:35 PM
autotech
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Oct-07
what year is your car? federal emission warranty covers converters 8year 80k miles.did you get any other codes?
10/24/07 8:29 PM
naMsdrawkcaB
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Oct-07
"defoul o2 sensor as in unplugging it? the o2 sensors are vital to getting the engine into optimum performance(no o2 sensor, it goes into limp home mode). in california(prob in other states too) there are warranties for emission systems maybe you can look up if its still available to your car depending on the year of the car and what component needs to be replaced. " if you take out the o2 sensors you will set a code but it will run fine. the same if you hollow the cat. codes but no driveability problems. as for the emission law, it is a national law and it is 8 year 80k miles. as long as i is within that time they will warrant it. oh and it is whichever comes first, so if it is less than 8 years but over 80k no warranty and if it is less than 80k but over 8 years no warranty.
10/24/07 10:53 PM
ChDnny
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Oct-07
oh ok, i thought if the primary o2 sensors and the secondary o2 sensors were having the same readings it doesn't go into closed loop. when people hollow out cats and they put those fake o2 sensors, thats for codes or the open/close loop?
10/25/07 11:01 AM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Oct-07
The P0420 is usually a code that's the result of another failure. Any misfire will trigger it as will a very over rich condition.
10/25/07 6:59 PM
autotech
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Oct-07 09:25 PM
you will get closed loop with the o2 sensors reading simular.if they both go"dead" and stay at .5 volts you may not get closed loop.when a converter is hollowed out you will get the upstream and the down stream doing the same exact thing.they will swing above and below .5 volts the "fake" o2 sensors that guys use will just give you a reading that is pretty steady with little swinging.i have not seen one of those "fake" ones work. i was at a class this week and the instructor let us know that honda does their cat monitoring differently that alot of the other car manf.he said for a p0420 on any honda start with the down stream o2 sensor.GET IT FROM A HOND DEALER.they have updated the sensor to help correct this problem.
10/26/07 10:29 AM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Oct-07
Any misfire can trigger a P0420. I just had it come up on a altima without any other codes but a half day of driving with a scan tool set up to take a codes snapshot with the trigger point being near the end netted a bad crank sensor that would cause a misfire for a few seconds but strangely wasn't picked up by the ecu or it would have flashed up a p0300 and the cylinder that misfired (po302.etc).
10/26/07 9:32 PM
autotech

Edited: 26-Oct-07
the crank and cam sensors are common on the 4 cyl altima's i was told to relace them in pairs when i called to get my first crank sensor.they realy are cheap enough to replace them both. ponyboy i was going to try and get in touch with you this week we had a highlander that was giving a tech a hard time this week.it kept giving lean codes for both banks.all the usual suspects maf,fuel filter,fuel pressure checked out.he just gave up and walked away (the guy is older and has no patience).it ended up being a downstream o2.it never made it to my bay the boss actually found the problem.so i don't know what was going on.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.