UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Looking for historical fiction

10/13/07 12:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
garfner
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Oct-07 12:29 AM

Bernard Cornwell has made me an addict for historical fiction. Any suggestions for other writers. Im having problems finding a good one. Cornwell is becoming my all time favorite writer. Here are some Ive tried. Jack Whyte. The first half of The Sky Stone was the best book Ive ever read. The second half was the worst book ive ever read. I thought the second and third book in the series were bad and couldn't bring myself to read the rest. Robyn Young. The Brethren started out good as well but the plot got a little ridiculous towards the end. Dont think Ill read Her second book. Simon Scarrow. Not to bad. But the dialog was a little cheesy to me. I wish he would put some historical notes at the end to tell you what he changed. Ill more than likely read his second book. Michael Curtis Ford. Read Gods and Legions and The Ten Thousand. Hes good but he really drags that stuff out big time. Conn Iggulden. His Books are great but he changes historical characters so much that it really should be Alternate History.
10/13/07 12:41 PM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Oct-07
Dorothy Dunnett for a couple of really long, great series, one of which is the Lymond chronicles. She also wrote an awesome standalone novel about Macbeth, King Hereafter. Impeccable research in every work. David Ball's Ironfire about the siege of Malta. Pressfield's Gates of Fire, a much better treatment of Thermopylae than 300. Mary Renault, classic historical fiction, covers Alexander as well as some mythological figures. Michael Sharra's, Killer Angels which is about Gettysburg, incredible book. Enjoy!
10/13/07 3:51 PM
garfner
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Oct-07
Thanks Lymund. Ill try some of those.
10/14/07 9:08 PM
hojotoh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Oct-07
I think some of Jeffrey Archer's work can fall under this cat. Alot actually. Check out (My favorite book of all time) "Kane and Abel" or "Honor Among Thieves". Those are my favorite by him, but he has a pretty impressive catalog.
10/15/07 11:02 AM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Oct-07
My favorite Archer is As the Crow Flies. Good author, it would be considered modern historical fiction I guess.
10/15/07 11:04 PM
hojotoh

Edited: 16-Oct-07 05:53 PM
As the Crow Flies was very good. The Prodigal(sp) Daughter (the follow up to Kane and Abel) was ok. Not as good as K & A though. His short stories book is pretty good, as is A Matter of Honor.
12/30/07 12:22 PM
savas

Edited: 30-Dec-07
"Gates of Fire" was really good.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.