UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> All Army 2007 updates

10/13/07 12:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kcbjj
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Oct-07

Please use this thread for All Army 2007 updates. I could not go and am interested in results. Keep this up.
10/13/07 3:04 PM
kcbjj
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Oct-07
ttt
10/15/07 12:00 AM
JSMHP
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Oct-07
Bragg's consolidated team (82nd and JFKSWIC) got first. Ft. Riley got second and Benning and Campbell tied for third
10/15/07 7:22 AM
mrchips
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Oct-07
Hmmm.... Matt said in another thread that Bragg had fielded 3 separate teams. Did that fall through?
10/15/07 6:45 PM
mrchips

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/10/army_combativeswinners_071014/ If the link is not working (it didn't a couple of times) go to the Army Times homepage for it. There are also some videos on there. Here's the article: Bragg powers its way to Combatives title By Michelle Tan - Staff writer Posted : Monday Oct 15, 2007 6:29:59 EDT FORT BENNING, Ga. ? Soldiers representing Fort Bragg, N.C., took top honors Sunday at the third-annual All-Army Combatives Tournament here, winning the championship title in four of the seven weight classes. Soldiers from 1st Infantry Division of Fort Riley, Kan., came in second. The 101st Airborne Division of Fort Campbell, Ky., and Fort Benning tied for third place. VIDEO FROM THE TOURNAMENT Capt. Lauren Shaw wins in the prelims Dale Wooden, a Navy SEAL favored to win, falters in fight The final fights took place Sunday afternoon, and they did not disappoint. Staff Sgt. Tim Kennedy, of Fort Bragg, easily won the light heavyweight title for the third year in a row. Pfc. Joshua Poblete proudly represented the Guam National Guard in the championship fight in the flyweight class, the best showing by the Guam team. He lost to Sgt. James Tomko of Fort Bragg, but Poblete ?did very well. We?re very proud of him,? said 1st Sgt. Allen Blend, who brought the team from Guam to Fort Benning for the tournament. ?He?s down on himself [for not winning] but it?s a great achievement for a PFC from Guam,? Blend said. Poblete said he was aiming to win the championship, but ?anything can happen.? ?I?m still proud,? he said. ?I represented my island, my unit and the Guam National Guard. Where we?re from, we all have big pride.? Sgt. Aaron Cooper of Fort Benning, and Sgt. Yuriy Fomin, Illinois National Guard, fought the only fight that lasted the full three rounds. Each round lasts five minutes. Cooper, his top lip swollen after the fight, was named the winner of the middleweight class by the judges. Special Operator 1st Class Dale Wooden, representing Fort Bragg, was the only sailor to fight in the tournament. He finished third in the middleweight class. Last year, Wooden came in second place. ?Anytime I can get a [mixed martial arts] fight, I?m happy,? Wooden said. ?The quality has definitely increased. Our team, I think we brought a very solid team.? Wooden, who is assigned to the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School, said he hopes to get more sailors involved in combatives. Last year, no one in the Navy knew he competed in the combatives tournament until he was featured in Navy Times, a sister publication to Army Times, he said. This year, SEAL recruiters provided him with his gear, which was emblazoned with the words ?Navy? and ?SEAL.? ?I want when that kid is sitting on the side and he wants to be a Green Beret or a SEAL or a Ranger, he is what he thought he would be,? Wooden said when asked about the edge combatives gives to those who practice it. ?He?s the tip of the spear, but at the same time humble and centered.? Combatives and the courage it takes to fight fits perfectly into the warrior ethos, Wooden said. ?You?ve got to be willing to take pain once in awhile and not be afraid of it,? he said. Here are the final standings for each weight class: Flyweight (125 pounds or less) 1. Sgt. James Tomko, Fort Bragg, N.C. 2. Pfc. Joshua Poblete, Guam National Guard 3. Staff Sgt. Rudy Romero, 1st Infantry Division Lightweight (140 pounds or less) 1. Pfc. Matthew Bray, 1st Infantry Division 2. Sgt. Dustin Portillo, 101st Airborne Division, Fort Campbell, Ky. 3. Pfc. Brandon Sandefur, Fort Hood, Texas Welterweight (155 pounds or less) 1. Sgt. Jason Kwast, Fort Bragg 2. Spc. Nathaniel Nelson, Fort Sill, Okla. 3. Staff Sgt. Marcos Gutierrez, Fort Benning Middleweight (170 pounds or less) 1. Sgt. Aaron Cooper, Fort Benning 2. Yuriy Fomin, Illinois National Guard 3. Special Operator 1st Class Dale Wooden, Fort Bragg Cruiserweight (185 pounds or less) 1. Staff Sgt. Jacob South, Fort Knox, Ky. 2. Pfc. Gary Tate, Fort Campbell 3. Spc. Guillermo Villa, Tripler Army Medical Center, Hawaii Light heavyweight (205 pounds or less) 1. Staff Sgt. Tim Kennedy, Fort Bragg 2. 1st Lt. Carpaccio Owens, Fort Bragg 3. Staff Sgt. Benjamin Bradley, Fort Gordon Heavyweight 1. Master Sgt. John Long, Fort Bragg 2. Sgt. Jeff Yurk, Fort Bragg 3. Spc. Darril Schoonover, Fort Hood Team standings 1. Fort Bragg 2. 1st Infantry Division 3. (tie) 101st Airborne Division 3. (tie) Fort Benning 5. Fort Hood 6. Fort Knox 7. Fort Sill 8. Illinois National Guard 9. Guam National Guard 10. Fort Jackson
10/15/07 8:24 PM
gryphonwrestler

Fort Bragg is no joke. Great job to all competitors. AA
10/15/07 9:11 PM
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for SSG South!! He traingled his way to a championship!
10/15/07 9:22 PM
kcbjj

Thanks for the updates. Congrats to 1st Infantry Division and Ft. Riley - home of the best Combatives coaches in the country! In my humble opinion... :)
10/15/07 10:30 PM
Combat MMA
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fort Bragg Combat MMA

Just got home. The 2007 Event was a great event. I would like to give congrats to all the teams and soldiers who took part in the 2007 event. I will try to give some specific results Tuesday.

Congrats to all 3 Fort Bragg Teams who competed, including the Post Team, the 7th Group Team, and the USACAPOC team. I look forward to even more teams from Fort Bragg next year.

Yurk

10/16/07 12:33 AM
Jay-dog

Edited: 16-Oct-07
Any idea how others did that didn't place in the top three.Mainly Ft Huachuca's team?
10/16/07 9:44 AM
AsiaI

This year was another great event and great competitors. I had fun, as usual and it was a pleasure going against Kennedy.
10/16/07 12:53 PM
mrchips

Also, the results have been posted on the Infantry homepage, along with a series of mugshots, I mean, nice photos of the finalists.
10/16/07 4:30 PM
JasonKeaton

ttt Tournament keeps getting better each year
10/16/07 5:38 PM
rafie

ALCON i enjoy myself but i was in the corner of my cpach BJ(asia) that do not make sense, lol. Jason Keaton you guy \look great. If you have special seminars or classes pls shoot me a email will be a pleasure atttend one of your classes sir lol Rafie
10/16/07 6:50 PM
durnil

Congrats to all and especially this year's winner Fort Bragg. -Dave Durnil
10/16/07 10:47 PM
Jay-dog

"Jay-Dog, if you scroll back up to mrchips post of the results of the tourny it shows the top 10 teams." Thanks I mainly meant individuals from Huachcua.Is there a copy of the brackets somewhere?
10/16/07 11:30 PM
JSMHP
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

any videos yet
10/19/07 9:31 AM
sharky1299

Edited: 19-Oct-07
Can anyone tell me who was heading up the Fort Hood team? Maybe an e-mail, I can see the light here from Iraq and I have guys just itching to get back to training. Matt, if you see old man Hill choke on him a bit, you know he deserves it.
10/19/07 9:54 AM
JasonKeaton

I would also like to know. There are some soldiers here that are going that way
10/19/07 10:34 AM
sharky1299

Jason When I get back I will try and get something sorted out. I know when I left there was a few LVL IIIs on post not sure what 4th ID, and 3rd ACR have brought to the table. I am going to again try and get Phil Cardela in the loop since his school is Austin. And recently Relson awarded Richard Gilberson his BB also. So with 2 Relson BB's at the same school I may have a better shot this time around.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.