UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Nov Aunkai Seminar

10/15/07 2:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
edg176
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Oct-07 07:26 PM

Internal martial arts applied to MMA. For real. Stanford Aikido is pleased to announce a weekend seminar with the Aunkai's founder, Akuzawa Minoru, on November 10th and 11th. The development of an integrated physical structure and the ability to spontaneously apply the power it generates in a free form manner is the goal of internal martial arts training. Akuzawa Minoru is a contemporary practitioner who has focused his training on acquiring and developing the sophisticated body skills associated with this goal. This will be Akuzawa Sensei's first seminar tour in the states, and it is a rare opportunity to encounter the remarkable internal training techniques employed in Japanese Koryu. In two days, Akuzawa Sensei will present a set of effective training exercises, and will demonstrate the results of their practice. Participants will be invited to test his ability to manifest extraordinary internal strength in a variety of startling demonstrations, including martial application against tactics seen both in popular mixed martial art fighting (mma) and more traditional demonstrations of advanced skill often seen in Chinese and Japanese arts. Akuzawa Sensei will cover the practical and theoretical aspects of aligning and conditioning the body to generate and apply internal strength, focusing on both structure and dynamics. Seminar Details: When: November 10th and 11th 2007, 10am-1pm and 2pm-4pm daily. Where: Stanford University Arrillaga Family Sports Center, Wrestling Room How: Interested parties MUST contact Mike Malkin at mikeym@cs.stanford.edu to reserve a spot, attendance will be limited to 40 students. Cost for the seminar is $180.
10/17/07 12:54 AM
edg176
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Oct-07
Here are some videos: Applications http://aunkai.net/eng/annai/topics070910.html http://youtube.com/watch?v=mAJVQMCWeOA http://youtube.com/watch?v=mAJVQMCWeOA http://youtube.com/watch?v=snYlMC6gUoM http://youtube.com/watch?v=UtYDJ_XDVRU Students sparring: http://youtube.com/user/Upyu
10/17/07 9:39 AM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Entertaining videos. No way to know for sure, but my sense is he would be destroyed by any competent blue belt in BJJ, high scool wrestler, or person with a year in a good boxing gym. John
10/17/07 12:02 PM
twinkletoesCT
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center
he's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack
10/17/07 12:57 PM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mea culpa. But, in my defense, I am not searching for kooks on the web. I only commented since they posted a bunch of information and videos for public consumption. John
10/17/07 5:23 PM
edg176

John, I can understand why you might think that, but Akuzawa is the real deal. Some of his guys just fought in an amateur kickboxing tournament in Tokyo. They did pretty well. If you're in the Bay Area, come out to the seminar. Everyone that has met Akuzawa and his Tokyo-based students has come away impressed. If you're not, I'll buy you dinner =)
10/17/07 7:48 PM
John Frankl

Unfortunately, I am in Korea. And $180 is a pretty steep dinner:) John
10/19/07 12:46 PM
melvinferd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Oct-07
edg176, are any of his students pro? i watched an amateur kickboxing tourny in tokyo last weekend. the fact the his students did pretty well at that level doesnt mean much. not saying they (his students) dont have skills. just trying to keep things in perspective.
10/19/07 1:12 PM
edg176

Edited: 19-Oct-07 01:16 PM
John, Korea huh? I was there for a month back in 2001-- good times. If you were able to make it to the seminar, not only would I buy you dinner if you weren't impressed, but Akuzawa's student, Rob John, would pay your seminar fees under certain circumstances: (from Rob) "I know the cost is steep, but the training stuff being taught by this guy is golden. I'm sure enough of this guy that I'm willing to offer this. If you think you got what it takes to undeniably punk him at the seminar, the fee is on me ;) Pretty much every MMA, judo, shooto whatever guy that comes through our school in Tokyo has gotten stuffed by him." This offer is on the table to anyone from the Bay (or beyond...) who wants to come to the seminar. Melvin, No one is pro (yet) , although one of the guys has had offers to go pro, and there was one guy I met who was at IBU, i.e. he will be a professional martial arts instructor. Again, I understand the skepticism, because most people claiming the traditional body training are full of it...I was skeptical as well until I saw the results in me and others, and met Akuzawa and his students personally.
10/20/07 12:55 AM
John Frankl

Edited: 20-Oct-07
This is really huge. I applaud his confidence. But I have also seen a lot of Youtube videos... In any case, you are taking it back to the Gracie Challenge days,... and in the Bay Area no less. Very old skool:) If you took this out of the JKD forum and put it on the UG and BJJ forums you just might get a few takers. John
10/20/07 1:47 PM
GenjuroX

Edited: 20-Oct-07 01:52 PM
I am one of Akuzawa's students here in Tokyo, and I can personally vouch for his skills. He is, in a word, unstoppable. Bring whatever you like, I can practically guarantee he will wipe the floor with you when push comes to kick in the face. If you walk away unblemished it's because he let you. He's been through a lot of shit to get where he is, and he has the scars to prove it. As for the trip from Korea, hell man, forget the seminar if the cost is too high...just fly into Tokyo and come to the regular class, and promise to spread the word if you learn something. The YouTube vids are good, but there's no replacing the real thing. Just go. You won't be disappointed. Adam
10/20/07 8:56 PM
John Frankl

Edited: 20-Oct-07
"I am one of Akuzawa's students here in Tokyo, and I can personally vouch for his skills." This is somewhat circular reasoning. Obviously you would not be training under him unless you thought he was good. I respect your personal opinion, but all of Fred Ettish's students probably thought he was going to win the UFC. "He is, in a word, unstoppable." This really damages your, and his, credibility. No one is unstoppable. Saying this about your teacher makes it look more like a cult than a gym. "Bring whatever you like, I can practically guarantee he will wipe the floor with you when push comes to kick in the face. If you walk away unblemished it's because he let you. He's been through a lot of shit to get where he is, and he has the scars to prove it." Again, this reads like traditional martial arts hero worship, and damages your credibility. And I am guessing at least two things would already have occurred if he was indeed as skilled as you claim: 1. We would have heard about him from someone other than his own students. 2. He would simply win a few Prides or UFCs. (Then we would all know who he is, and he would be able to charge even more for his seminars.) A third thing that would be cool is a video or two of him wiping the floor with all the champions he has beat in his dojo. What we have now is a lot of kicks from crane stance and Aikido parlor tricks. "As for the trip from Korea, hell man, forget the seminar if the cost is too high...just fly into Tokyo and come to the regular class, and promise to spread the word if you learn something. The YouTube vids are good, but there's no replacing the real thing." Although Seoul is close, flying to and staying in Tokyo is still a $1,000 proposition. That said, business takes me there at least once per year, and I will be sure to stop by. I will video whatever happens, and be happy to post the unedited results. John
10/21/07 3:12 AM
Siciliano
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Oct-07 03:30 AM
I have no idea who John Frankl is, but knowing that he's an SBG guy, I'd root for him. $200.00 bet.
10/22/07 6:26 AM
GenjuroX

Edited: 22-Oct-07
Yes, yes, no one is truly unstoppable, etc. etc. Argue semantics with me another time. You know what I meant. Come or don't, it's up to you. And if you spend a grand large here just training over a weekend from Korea, you're either staying in some pimp digs or someone is REALLY screwing you over on travel expenses. Adam P.S. Aikido parlor tricks?! Jezuz...
10/22/07 9:21 AM
melvinferd

whats this all about? ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz_e7aWbg9k its a couple of guys from your training group yeah?
10/22/07 1:19 PM
Adam Singer
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WTF was that. Adam
10/22/07 1:42 PM
PKF
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kungfoolishness
10/22/07 11:02 PM
John Frankl

Edited: 22-Oct-07 11:37 PM
"P.S. Aikido parlor tricks?! Jezuz... " I did not mean to insult Aikido. I apologize. I will edit it to read "Aikido-like and Tai chi-like parlor tricks." That is my personal take on the clips that one of your guys put up for our perusal. http://youtube.com/watch?v=mAJVQMCWeOA http://youtube.com/watch?v=MDCbZhTFAkU http://youtube.com/watch?v=UtYDJ_XDVRU And this one is really good. http://youtube.com/watch?v=snYlMC6gUoM The last 20 years of martial arts development has not really touched what these guys do, but it has touched what they say. I suppose the captions are a sort of disclaimer that could be translated as something like "You know and we know that what we are showing is complete BS, but it's all different in a real fight." You and I and your sensei all fight the way we train, period. There are a few more, but you get the idea. John
10/22/07 11:19 PM
John Frankl

Edited: 22-Oct-07 11:36 PM
Okay, I admit it, I'm procrastinating at work. But that is only part of the reason I am going after this. The other is that this is a JKD forum, and I assume that many here have spent a lot of time, emotion, energy, and money attempting to wade through the sea of disinformation that is the martial arts. So when I see this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=p4GOEdKyee4 I'm thinking a few things. Cool ninja hood on the pad holder. Where are all the Japanese dudes (probably in MMA and BJJ gyms)? And, as a long-time Wayne's World fan, "Yeah, when monkeys fly out of my butt." Paul Vunak has been getting a lot of mention here lately. I met him once training at Rickson's, but really only "know" him through his videos (the Panther ones). Watching the clip above, I could not help remembering how right on he was in his explanations of the uselessness of power generated against static targets, being powerful with your hands down by your hips (or out to the side in crane stance), etc. I do not want this to seem personal. I did not search out the above videos and mock them. I totally respect those who practice internal martial arts, yoga, bellydancing, whatever for their cultural and health-giving benefits. But remember this is a JKD forum, and one of your members started this thread with the following line: "Internal martial arts applied to MMA. For real." Perhaps your group should reexamine its motives for posting that line on this forum. Or, at least, don't follow that opening with a bunch of fairly questionable (at least in their relationship to the thread) Youtube videos. John
10/23/07 2:29 AM
Upyu

Edited: 23-Oct-07 02:49 AM
John, you sound like a fairly intelligent individual... right until the part where you start posting the tired old "well why doesn't he fight in a couple of Pride's or UFC's"? Anybody that's trained over here in the amateur leagues probably knows how hard it is to land a pro contract. As in, its not a simple matter of winning a couple of tournaments if you want to fight in the big leagues. Its entertainment, and if you're not the kind of fighter they're looking for, the orginization will never let you step foot in their events. There's plenty of good pro fighters as well that could probably make it in bigger leagues that're stuck within the professional Shooto circuit etc. "Cool Ninja Hood on the pad Holder" The reason no Japanese guys were on site was because...well we were in Paris, lol. The guy holding the pad is a certain Polish dude I know, Krzysztof Kryszczuk, who's a two time full contact european sanda champ training in BJJ over at Lausanne, Switzerland. I think he won some all european grappling tourney last october if memory serves me right. (Feel free to verify his record) He's got a really low tolerance for shit that doesn't work. "Watching the clip above, I could not help remembering how right on he was in his explanations of the uselessness of power generated against static targets, being powerful with your hands down by your hips (or out to the side in crane stance), etc." Truer words can't be said. Ark's whole point in fact is that Bag work in general isn't all that useful since your opponent won't be standing statically in front of you. And when was the last time you were able to give a full power strike to someone in sparring? Generally the amount of power you can dishout is greatly reduced in the context of sparring. Other factors, such as structure, balance, timing, posture play bigger factors in deciding who stays up or goes down. The only reason he's having them stand static is so they can feel "how" he's generating the power(which I guarantee will weird you out if you haven't felt it before). The method of delivery doesn't change even if his target is moving. Anyways, your views were echoed by Luan from Bullshido, a kid who was training over at Alliance in Atlanta, but he also was pretty quick to get over any problems he had after getting hands on time with Ark. "You and I and your sensei all fight the way we train, period. " Last thing...none of those videos show how we train. None of them. Wrist grabbing, static shield kicking etc are at best kind of a playground for body mechanics, nothing more. I'd agree that if we were training statically to fight against moving resisting opponents, we'd probably get our asses handed easy. Only thing is...that's not how we or Ark train. I recall workin out with at least 8 shooto guys within the past year and at least 8 out of 8 have punked out within the first 15 minutes of our regimine, and if you come to class and can do them easily as well I'll buy you 3 rounds of drinks after class ;) Loads of physical conditioning are involved, but of a different kind. The methedology he teaches actually isn't stuff that is new at all. Rather its pretty old, he just takes away all the bs associated with the old training methods and explains it step by step and gives results in a short amount of time. The offer's up on the table dude... at this point you're the one being the keyboard warrior ;)
10/23/07 3:21 AM
Siciliano
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Oct-07
yeah. The SBG guys are a bunch of keyboard warriors. Forest Griffin didn't beat anyone good. Shogun doesn't count.
10/23/07 3:56 AM
Upyu

Maybe you need to take Reading Comprehension 101 again, no one said "SBF guys are a bunch of keyboard warriors." That post was more or less directed back at John.
10/23/07 5:01 AM
Siciliano

Edited: 23-Oct-07 05:15 AM
OK. So John's a keyboard warrior who trains with a gym named SBG. A gym that has produced the likes of UFC fighters like Rory Singer and Forest Griffin. You happy now? On a side note, if ever one of you guys are in NY, please post it here in the JKD forum. Guys like me and I'm sure 4 Ranges would definitely want to test your system. If we're convinced that it works in real time, then it's cool. We learn something new - and that's excellent for our growth in the martial arts. Agreed? Plus, if I'm convinced, I'll treat you out in Nobu (where I work). One of the most famous fine-dining places in NYC. It's $150 for an Omakase menu. My treat - but I wouldn't mind if you'd pay for the tip - roughly around $30.
10/23/07 9:58 AM
4 Ranges

"I'm sure 4 Ranges would definitely want to test your system." Well, since I got mentioned in this thread, here's my 2 cents: - I believe in exchanging information, when it comes to training. I don't believe in testing any individual or the system they practice. Unless the fellow is a loudmouth braggart who enjoys putting other people down, I personally do not believe in "testing" a person's skill or system, because there's little benefit in that for both parties. I give them my info, they give me their info, and we leave as friends. I believe in making friends in the martial arts. This is a good way to find a new student or a new teacher. Upside both ways. - This exchange of info is pretty much like doing a google search: sometimes you get great links, and sometimes you got not so great links. When I see a great link, I go through it, get my info, check out the other sections, read an article or two, etc. I'll probably even visit it again. If I find a not so great link...it takes me all of 2 seconds to hit the "back" button, and I'm back to my original search. - When it comes to wading through the vast amount of information in martial arts, I like to think of it as a google search: I find good and bad info, and my job is to find what I deem good info. - Sometimes, I find tons of bad info, and no good info at all. Then I realize I misspelled a word on the search field, or I didn't create the right search parameters. My mindset will determine what is useful for me at the time. For those who represent this particular instructor, do feel free to contact me at anytime you are in the NYC area. My website is www.badfactory.net. I think your instructor offers interesting ideas with regards to force generation and overall body mechanics (some of which are found in savate and powerlifting). I wouldn't be testing you or your system; it would be a welcome and friendly exchange of ideas and techniques. Rolando Garcia, III Chief Instructor BAD Factory www.badfactory.net
10/23/07 11:26 AM
melvinferd

Upyu, im interested in seeing what you guys do. you have different classes during the week? which day do you recommend i visit? address, directions, time ... thanks.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.