UnderGround Forums

Jen >> thoughts on yoga?

10/18/07 10:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
chickenfeet
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Oct-07

I would love to hear your thoughts on yoga, especially about how it relates to your MBF program, about how it helps keep the body injury-free, etc.
10/18/07 12:08 PM
Bolo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's what I wrote on another thread: These are my personal experiences with yoga. I took yoga for a while. I've done Iyengar and Vinyasa. Neither one of them helped correct my postural issues. In fact, the yoga counteracted my posture therapy program and was making me worse, so I eventually stopped. I did my posture therapy program before yoga and took pics of my posture and then took pics after doing yoga and it confirmed what I felt was going on with my body. When I was taking the classes, I looked at the posture of the yoga instructors and classmates that had been doing yoga for a long time and all off them had issues going on with their bodies. I would see some pretty bad postural issues on some of the students and they were doing many stretches/poses that they shouldn't be doing. Like I mentioned before, I looked at pics of the posture of a lady who is a yoga instructor. Her posture was terrible despite the fact that she is very flexible. I've looked at the postures of many clients who did yoga and they all had pretty bad postural issues. Other people may have different experiences, so that is why I am saying that I am only speaking from my personal experience, so you can take it for what its worth. I think yoga is great in theory, however, when I analyzed the postures of yoga instructors who have been doing it for a very long time, the theory isn't what is happening in reality.
10/18/07 12:24 PM
Bolo

Let me add another thing. The instructor that I used to do yoga with had super human flexibility. However, she had a groin muscle injury that has continued linger after 10 years. Even to this day she is unable to do certain stretches on certain sides because of this injury. She also goes to the chiropractor once a month. She has "thrown out" her back in the past and goes to see the chiro to prevent that. In addition, she had a wrist problem and was having a chiro adjust it. A friend of mine does yoga and she was very surprised to find out that her yoga instructor also sees a chiro. I asked her why she was suprised. She said that she thought yoga was supposed to be able to keep a person pain and injury free. Like I said, what is supposed to happen in theory is not happening in reality.
10/18/07 10:20 PM
chickenfeet
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thank you!
10/19/07 3:05 AM
Bolo

Edited: 19-Oct-07
Let me mention something... If you look at very young children, you see they are naturally flexible. They don't need to stretch either. I've seen my 3 year old son imitiate movements I do and I see that he has no problem doing simple exercises like the downward dog and the triangle. The reason is that a functional body with the proper alignment and muscular balance will naturally be able to do those basic kind of movements. My son does not need to practice those exercises and he can do it. In addition, he will not lose flexibility if he doesn't do it. So if you are looking for a program to increase your flexibility, that program should lead you to do point in which you no longer need to stretch and your body can naturally maintain that flexibility. Now if you want to obtain super human yoga master flexibility, that's another story and that will take a lot more additional work. However, if you look at a vast majority of adults, they don't even have the flexibility that children have and I'm sure most people, including myself, would be happy just to get to that level.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.