UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Whisky Recommendations

10/30/07 9:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kot1k
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Oct-07
"has anyone tried "Suntory" Whiskey " I've tried their brandies (the top of the line stuff) and I found them to be inferior to the French vintages. I would assume that this is true for Whisky as well. I bet a mid-grade scotch is better than most Suntorys, and probably cheaper. I could be wrong though.
10/30/07 8:47 PM
klgambit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Perhaps, but by definition a bourbon has to be corn-based, just like rye has to be rye-based." Someone can correct me if im wrong but in order to be called bourbon legally the mash has to be 51%corn, 8% barley and the rest is a mix of rye and wheat.
10/30/07 9:30 PM
needless

Actually, the only legal requirement for bourbon in the US is that it's made from a mash of at last 51% and no more than 79% corn. The rest can either be wheat, barley, or rye. There's other requirements about the type of barrels, aging, etc, but the corn mash is really what makes bourbon distinctive amongst other whiskeys.
10/30/07 9:31 PM
Tomato Can
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No the mash requirements aren't that specific. It just has to be at least 51% corn.
10/30/07 9:52 PM
Polaris

"It just has to be at least 51% corn." Yeah, that's what I thought.
11/7/07 7:12 PM
Rali
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Nov-07
Most of the Scotches in the Speyside region are great. I'm not as big a fan of the Islay. For Bourbon, AJ Hirsch is by far the best I've ever tried. It's about $120 a bottle and it's worth it.
12/11/07 12:16 PM
MactownBJJ

Edited: 11-Dec-07
I had some Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve. Great stuff. Evan Williams Single Barrell is yummy too. For cocktails Jim Beam Black is BY FAR the best value. It's pretty good straight too.
1/21/08 5:30 PM
billydeewilliams
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Jan-08
Makers, Knob, Bulleit, all great. For some really good bourbons, gotta try the small batches. Basil haydens, Bookers, and Bakers are great for around $40 a bottle(price here in austin). Try the Bookers. I met Fred Noe here in Austin (Jim Beam's great grandson and current head of the company) and all he drinks is Knob Creek, which is made by Jim Beam. Rali is correct with the AJ hiisch. They have a 20 year bourbon, but I dont have the cash to try it. As for Scotch, there is much more of a difference between the Highland, lowland, Islay, and Speysides, those are just varieties, not brands. If you have alot of cash, then there is a three pack of 200ml bottles called the "single malt collection" or " Single malts of Scotland collection" or something like that. It has Talisker 10, Caol Ila 12, and Lagavulin 16. A nice little variety. If you like smoky whiskies, then Talisker is good.
1/23/08 7:02 PM
shadallion
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Jan-08
Dalwhinnie for Scotch, Eagle Rare for Bourbon. Mmmmm...working up a powerful thirst here.
1/24/08 12:39 AM
TKO313

Edited: 24-Jan-08
Rock Hill Single Barrel Bourbon. A little spendy but Damn Good!
3/10/08 4:33 PM
Sijan

Edited: 10-Mar-08

Talisker is not an Islay malt.  It is from Skye. 

If you like Talisker and Oban, it is likely that you'll also enjoy Highland Park and Clynelish.  They are all "seaside" whiskeys, for lack of a better term.  You should also consider trying Bowmore and Springbank.

For bourbon, everyone should try any bottling of a Van Winkle bourbon at least once in their life.  They are fantastic.  The Pappy Van Winkle 15 year old is one of my favorite whiskeys.  Almost anything bottled by Buffalo Trace (including Rock Hill Farms, Elmer T. Lee, George T. Stagg) is excellent.

Also consider trying rye whiskey such as Sazerac or Rittenhouse.  The best deal by far is Rittenhouse Rye Bottled-in-Bond, which should only cost about $15 but outperforms many whiskeys at several times the price.  The 6 year old Sazerac Rye is also a very good deal - and a very different style - at around $25/bottle.

3/18/08 11:44 AM
MactownBJJ

Edited: 18-Mar-08
Tried the Bulleit. It's good but not as goods as the Russels reserve; just as smooth but less character.
3/29/08 6:44 PM
Lurken

Edited: 29-Mar-08
I went thru my single malt stage. I should say I suffered through it. I never got to where I liked it. I drank shitloads of it. I would rather have a good aged dark tequila.
4/7/08 12:16 PM
MactownBJJ

Edited: Apr 7 2008 12:00A
^knowing what you like and not being afraid to try new things is pretty much the whole point. I think you are doing fine.
5/23/08 8:27 AM
tristanandrews04

EliteFightCompany, QandDon
My threads...Thanks for the info
5/23/08 1:26 PM
drunkenfighter

Canadian Club - that's how I roll.
7/6/08 1:36 PM
BassAssassin
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

40 creek is pretty good too
7/25/08 2:35 AM
Fulkrum78

Hmm I will chime in for Irish:

Cheap - Powers (Gold if you can get it)

Mid-range - Redbreast (nice and sparkly on the palate)

Next - Green Spot - distilled by Jameson, 8 years old, sherry casks!

Bestest - Midleton - best booze I've ever had
7/25/08 9:57 AM
Tomato Can
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've never seen Green Spot in stores here. Midleton is real good but I dunno if it's worth the price. Best cheap Irish for my money is Jameson by a long shot.
7/25/08 12:06 PM
Fulkrum78

Supposedly its gonna be available through a distributor out of Cali soon.

About 20 years ago when the different distillers banded together to form the IWG they picked Jameson to be their flagship brand - not because it tasted the best but because it was the most middle-of-the-road. It appeals to more people because it isn't particularly outstanding in any category. Powers tastes better, is cheaper, and the 7 year old is the most popular Irish whiskey *in* Ireland.

Midleton is definitely worth the price!(if you sip your whiskey, if you're mixing it or slamming it then no, not worth it unless you make a LOT of money).
7/25/08 1:01 PM
Tomato Can

I don't mix or shoot whiskey. Midleton is pretty good, but again, I think there is better stuff at the price point. Maybe not Irish but certainly Scotch. The Macallan 18 comes to mind.
7/26/08 1:47 AM
Fulkrum78

Ahh, I can't stand Scotch. Go figure...
8/30/08 2:06 AM
Fulkrum78

Suntory I *think* just one Scotch of the Year...
9/5/08 10:48 AM
Sporran

Single malts... mmmm

I recommend Bowmore's younger ages and Highland Park if you're not overly into the peaty taste.

Springbank is very good, and a nice one to try is the Glenfiddich Caoran Reserve. Mostly a Highland taste, but they add a little peat which adds a lot without overpowering it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.