UnderGround Forums

Jen >> Mental Clarity and BJJ

10/18/07 5:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Grappler2010
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Oct-07

Bolo and others: BJJ would be even easier to learn and practice if one could maintain peak levels of mental clarity. You'll find in all of Mike's dvd's he exemplifies logical progression and peak mental clarity when speaking, thinking and executing BJJ movements. Yet I think this particular trait should not be considered the norm as I see a lot of black belts out there who never subscribed to a logical progression of anything in their techniques. It was all athleticism and gifted genetics. Bolo, any secrets you'd like to divulge on how your able to stay so mentally focused and intellectual in your pursuit of bjj techniques and strategies. I guess being a teacher helps a lot but I'm sure it goes beyond that. Many people for instance simply don't have the mental clarity to become good teachers. Any supplements on the market that help this? Diet secrets? Exercise secrets? etc etc
10/18/07 7:13 PM
Bolo

Edited: 19-Oct-07 03:58 AM
I think you are asking about 2 different issues, though the 2 issues do have a connection with each other. As far as view BJJ in a certain intellectual way, I think you need to accept that just as some people have physical gifts, there are others with mental gifts. There are some people, like myself, who can figure things out and look at BJJ very intellectually and some cannot no matter how hard they try. I also think a person must have a certain mental attitude. They need to have a personality that is very analytical, logical, and critical, yet open minded and receptive to change. But this analysis and being critical is not only towards others and the world around you, but also towards yourself. The other issue I think you are asking about is more along the lines of having peak mental performance. I believe you must have balance in your life. Remember that the human body is a system. This system consists of numerous sub-systems. These sub-systems all work in their own unique way, but they are also interconnected to each other. A negative effect in one sub-system will always have some sort of negative effect on others and ultimately negatively effect the system as a whole. Look at all the effects of eating poorly. Eating poorly negatively effects your digestive system, skeletal system, muscular system, nervous system, immune system, etc... Look at how a lack of exercise effects all your body's systems. Look at how stress and other emotions affects your systems. Even bad posture has a huge effect of your nervous system, digestive, and circulatory system and that has a huge effect on mental clarity. A "balanced" life will differ from person to person, however, I see so many people nowdays who don't have anything remotely close to being balanced. But my point is that if you want peak mental performance, you need to make sure that other aspects of your life aren't brining you down.
10/31/07 12:03 AM
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Oct-07
I think one of the biggest problems with some people in terms of them grasping Bjj is they simply make it more complicated then it really is or needs to be. First and foremost it must be understood that Bjj is a PHYSICAL ACTIVITY. It is something one DOES with their BODY. You don't have to understand it the same way you understand physics or calculus. And while I don't believe even physical activities are purely physical and do involve some mental effort, this mental effort still isn't the same the mental effort involved in other endeavors, particular more intellectually oriented endeavors. One of the best things one an do for themselves in reagrds to growth and development in a physical activity like Bjj is STOP making more than it really is!
10/31/07 3:53 AM
Bolo

I believe a person should not make BJJ more complicated than it needs to be for their experience and skill level. If a student is a white belt, they shouldn't bother with trying to look at BJJ the same way as someone who is a black belt and a teacher. My view of BJJ is far more complex than others, but I can handle that at my level and experience. When I teach my students, I want them to use their brains and think right from the start, however, I don't have them think about things that are too complex and beyond them. For example, I don't get into the mental aspect of BJJ as far as reading your opponent and developing a specific strategy for a specific opponent until they are high level purple belt. I need a certain amount of the physical aspect to be instinctive before I go into the mental aspect or else it is too overwhelming.
10/31/07 6:48 AM
cdog1955
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good points by both you guys. I also think it'd very individualistic how people learn. While you MUST have the physical practice (no way around that), for myself, if i understand from a logical point the whys and what fores (leverage and getting the angles to effeicently apply that leverage) I learn faster.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.