UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Shotokan Karate: Frank Smith?

10/22/07 1:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Golden Arm
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Oct-07

I've read that Frank Smith was a legendary Shotokan-style fighter in the 1960s, and that Chuck Norris and Joe Lewis sought him out to spar with. I've also read that he got his jawbroken by Enoeda during a Shotokan match. But supposedly, he was an awesome fighter. What happened to this guy? Does he still train/teach Shotokan? Seems like he disappeared and all that's left is legend.
10/30/07 12:10 AM
nawarrior
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Oct-07
Frank Was the Man. It's all true about Norris and Lewis. They never spared with him because Nishiyama want them to train at the dojo before they would spar. Lewis did one class and never came back, he said that Frank, Ray Dalke and James Yabe where crazy and wanted nothing to do with them. These guys where hard core. Enoeda did brake Frank's jaw with a round house kick to the Jaw. It happened while they were free sparring during a class at Nishiyama's dojo. Yabe said Frank wasn't the same after that, Frank was More intense in his training. He wasn't going to let something like that happen again. Last I heard, it's been a few years, he stopped training and teaching due to politics and BS.
10/31/07 9:14 PM
Golden Arm
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Oct-07
Anybody know if he's still alive? Someone should interview him.
11/1/07 8:54 PM
nawarrior

Edited: 01-Nov-07
He's still alive. He was a fire caption here in LA, He may have retired by now. I've been out of contact with people who know him or trained with him for a while now, sorry I can't help you.
11/2/07 11:44 AM
sta94

Edited: 02-Nov-07
One of the new martial arts magazines on the newsstands seems to have an article on Frank Smith in its latest issue - I forget the title of the magazine - this is the one that is in a sealed plastic bag and comes with a DVD. I couldn't flip thru the magazine to check out the articles though.
11/2/07 5:19 PM
sta94

Edited: 02-Nov-07

Here's the magazine I was talking about - "Masters: Martial Arts at its Best"  http://www.empiremediallc.com/

The current issue - Winter 2007 - has the Frank Smith article in it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.