UnderGround Forums

Europe UnderGround >> i want to move to greece

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

10/22/07 2:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nineteen
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Oct-07

In the next year i would like to pay off debts and get my shit together to move to greece. I would like as much information as possible to make this happen, so please help a sista out. Things i would like to know: cost of living for food ect: cost of appartments: job market: language, as english is my native language, what are the issues with not knowing greek: general living issues: ALL information would be highly appreciated!!! Oh, if there is another country that is warm and beautiful but cheaper, please discuss. Thank you very much :)
7/2/08 9:41 PM
Empire
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

u know it's not warm there all year round, right?
i'd suggest going there in the winter to see if you still love it.

it uses the euro and food is expensive.

gasoline has always been expensive there (europe in general).

All road signs are in english. majority of people understand english (30yr. olds and younger) as it is mandatory taught in school.

use the Metro and not the subway.

rent is not as much as in states, for sure. Not knowing greek is a problem as you will not be 'down' w/ the people...

I've been to greece over 25 times (approx. 7 years cumulative) and let me tell you as an american that greece is only good for long vacations... period. the people are fucking lazy... many tend to say, "ahhhh it's a laid back culture, they siesta in the hot summer, and ENJOY life"... wrong. the only greeks enjoying life are the american citizens w/ money or greeks w/ money who can afford the vacations and make the best of their 6 weeks off of work... it's not a "laid back" culture. it's lazy. they don't get anything done, and if you get seriously hurt or sick there, good luck w/ the state sponsored health care and hospitals... you will have to have big bucks to get anything even close to the care you EXPECT in the USA emergency rooms and hospitals.

people don't think of these things. they think islands, the acropolis, easy living, great food, beautiful people, and great deep culture. yeah, it's true, it has that, but it won't be cheap to live there.
7/2/08 9:46 PM
Empire
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you are assured of delays at the airport, and if there is a strike, as you are GUARANTEED of having, you will be screwed.

i'm an american citizen of greek descent. i value my heritage, but don't get it twisted. the usa is where it's at.

oh, and crime is on a SKYROCKET increase there. big issues w/ illegal immigrants (albanians) and refugees from poorer parts of europe (eastern block countries).

what are you going to be doing for work? if you are thinking something in the service department (restaurants, travel guide, etc) forget it, as like i said, they will hire a greek who is fluent in the native tongue and fluent in english.
7/16/08 1:23 PM
usurper
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

empire is pretty much spot on.

why do you want to move to greece?
1/16/11 9:44 AM
gracie
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Greece rocks

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.