UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> ethics of showing stuff

10/22/07 8:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dakuan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Oct-07

I was curious as to what you thought of people sharing what they learned off your tapes. This is an interesting question in general. Should one show others what another teacher taught them. Is this a form of piracy? It is wrong to copy tapes and give them to your partners. What then is the difference in teaching them what you learn. Is this a form of piracy. It is obviously different when one is of a higher belt and has permission to teach. What then is the difference when one is of a lowerbelt and wants to help his training partners when he sees gaps. Should one leave all instruction to the qualified instructor? Or is it okay to show stuff here and their. This may sound like a dumb post to some but their are ethical considerations.
10/22/07 11:34 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Oct-07
dakuan,

To begin, piracy is defined as, "the unauthorized copying, distribution, or use of another's production (as a film) especially in infringement of a copyright." Additionally, each of the instructional videos you (or anyone else) possess have an implied copyright on them.

Now, when a person "verbally" shares information, with another person, from an instructional DVD, CD-ROM, VHS tape or online course they purchased, this is not piracy. They are not copying or distributing another person's production. Rather, they are simply making a best effort to repeat what they heard and saw. While they are transferring the information from one person to another, they have not made an unauthorized copy of the production (i.e. the DVD, CD-ROM, VHS tape or online course).

What does constitute PIRACY is purchasing an instructional DVD, CD-ROM, VHS tape or online course, making an unauthorized copy of the production and then distributing it to another person or group of people (who did not pay for the production).

Making unauthorized copies of whatever media has been purchased, regardless of the person's intention, IS PIRACY!

There isn't a production company that I know or am aware of that will allow people to make copies of their productions (any time they want). Why? Productions companies are in business to make money. They make money based on the amount of products they sell (i.e. products people pay for). When groups of people obtain products without paying any money for them, production companies lose money. It's that simple!

The martial arts industry is one of the few industries where someone can learn something from one person and then turn right around and make money off of that information or claim it as their own. (I know this from personal experience. I've had people take some of my stuff and claim it as their own material - from the information on my instructionals to the articles on my website. Heck, a few guys were bold enough to copy my instructionals and then re-sell them to others on CD-ROM. I know because I have personally contacted these people in the US, Europe, Africa and Indonesia).

Martial arts instructors from all styles are  protective of their teachings. They've trained long & hard and have developed some of their own unique methods of training, teaching & fighting. So, for someone to pirate their production and provide it to others free of charge is a slap in the instructor and the production company's face.

"Verbally" sharing new information you recently learned from an instructional DVD is OK and understandable. Duplicating or replicating the product without the expressed written consent of the owner of the product IS piracy!

Does that make sense?

Roy Harris
10/25/07 11:40 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Oct-07
InvisiblePinkUni, What you write is true. However, it is only part of the story. Here's the rest of the story: 1. Sharing creates a COMMUNITY OF GIVERS and TAKERS when those who possess something of perceived value share their time, knowledge and expertise (free of charge) with those who do not posess this knowledge or expertise. This kind of sharing involves one side giving and the other side receiving. In other words, there is no reciprocity (on the receiver's side). 2. When both sides of the table SHARE something of perceived value, this creates a COMMUNITY we call "COMMERCE" - something we all do at our jobs every day! It is easy for students (those on the receiving end) to write that sharing creates a community. But when pinned into a corner and asked how many days of work they "shared" with their employer last week, many are silent (because each of them went to work and expected to be compensated for the time and effort they put into their job). While I understand what you are implying by writing that "sharing creates a community", you need to understand and acknowledge that martial arts instructors make their living by commerce, not by "sharing" their knowledge and expertise for free. Roy Harris
10/30/07 10:59 PM
dakuan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Oct-07
Thanks. I agree totally with you comments on piracy. I quess I was just trying to open the debate on whether it is okay to share stuff you learned from a tape. I want people to practice with so I will end up showing some stuff but i was wondering what you thought the ethics of this were. I guess If I practice a move I feel is valubale the ethical thing would be to promote the source that you got it from. Also, I must resist the pressure to lend stuff out for those who just want to copy it.
10/30/07 11:29 PM
m.g
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Oct-07
dakuan, I'm trying my best to figure out something; how in the world can sharing stuff you learn from a tape ever be unethical or piracy? I just don't see it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.