UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> CT Savate Seminar Review: Day 1

10/23/07 10:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
4 Ranges
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Oct-07

This weekend, Chris Wright-Martell ("twinkletoesct" on this forum) hosted my instructor, Moniteur Armando Basulto, in a 2-day Boxe Francaise Savate seminar. The seminar was a MAJOR success! Not only did we have a great turnout, but all skill-levels were represented (from baby beginners to international-level competitors). Some highlights: - Armando Basulto has the easy yet uncanny way of being able to disseminate a slew of information to all levels (from beginners to coaches), have all levels absorb the information, and apply that information in less than 5 minutes. He is as gifted a coach, as he is an athlete (he threw several head-level kicks with no warm-up). - The basic kicks of savate were covered (fouette, chasse, revers, coup de pied bas) in detail in terms of execution, but I marvelled at his precise description of the body mechanics involved in each kick. The success or failure of the coup de pied bas can be determined by the slightest adjustment of the hip and angling of the rear arm. He demonstrated the differences between correct mechanics for the sport of boxe francaise and the historical applications from chausson/early savate. Most importantly, how emphasized how both approaches can benefit a savateur, if discretion is applied. - Armando had us moving from the get-go: savate is the art of MOVEMENT. Static drilling was unacceptable, so he had as on our toes, moving, angling, circling, etc. from the very first technique he displayed. - Correct mechanics behind the parades/esquives (blocking and avoidance techniques) as well as the punching techniques were paramount, and he displayed how a boxer would throw a technique differently from a savateur (a lead hook for instance) and BOTH would still be correct. The MECHANICS were the same: the adjustments are determined by the conditions of their chosen sport. - He covered some WICKED pad drills that had practically everyone huffing and puffing that emphasized the savateurs duty to fire combinations in HIGH-VOLUME. Combinations were thrown in no less that fives, and often went as high nine or ten shots in a row...all while both savateur and coach were moving, circling, side-stepping, etc. Armando emphasized that if "you're firing, but you're not moving, then you're doing something else; it's not savate." - He placed a high value in correct pad-holding, in that this highly misunderstood skill also created the correct mechanics and skill-set for the holder as well (Roy Harris made a similar note of this during one of his stand-up seminars). The pad-holder dictates the pace of the drill, so the session is just as much as a lung-searer for the holder as it is for the participant. (cont'd)
10/23/07 10:57 AM
4 Ranges

Edited: 23-Oct-07
- The end of the day had 4 people testing for the glove rank for their first time (3 of them were BAD Factory students, the 4th was none other than twinkletoesct, who I had privately coached for his test). - The test was both a written and a physical test. Mind you, these testers had just done 6 hard hours of boxe francaise savate (sparring, pad holding, themed assaut, etc.), so for them to test AFTER the seminar showed they had the guts. They just had to show their skills. - After several rounds of themed assaut (limited sparring) with each other...it came time for "assaut libre" - free sparring. They would be sparring with no less than 3 "initiatuers" - coach level savateurs. Two were colleagues of mine who had fought internationally on several occassions. The 3rd initiateur was yours truly. - I'm proud to say that, first of all, they survived the hazing lol!! Most notably, twinkletoesct ate a NASTY high round kick (fouette figure) to his EYE (yep, that's how accurate savateuers can be), but to his credit, he maintained the structure and composure of a seasoned savateur (as opposed to letting fight/flight kick in). Mind you this kick came in the first seconds of the 2nd round...so he had a LOOOONG way to go! But he fought through, displaying high level technique, conditioning, and fighting spirit. - In the end, my 3 students acquitted themselves greatly by passing their test with flying colors. All of them got "gant blue" - blue glove, which is the first glove rank in BF Savate. - Our very own twinkletoesct impressed so magnificently that he SKIPPED the blue glove rank and went instead to the higher green glove rank. It is a testament to his training and his determination that his savate held up under the spotlight. I told him later "I'm so proud of you...but it's a pity you got the green glove. If you'd gotten the blue glove, your rank would have matched the color of your eye." LOL!! I'll be posting an interview article with Armando on my website, as well as clips of some assaut (light sparring). Day TWO review coming soon!
10/24/07 5:40 PM
groundfighter2000
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Oct-07
ttt
10/26/07 5:33 PM
beauregard

Edited: 26-Oct-07
Sounds great. Congrats to TT. He's a true Martial Artist. Seamus.
10/26/07 6:17 PM
twinkletoesCT
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center
Thanks for the kind words, guys. The test was great, but definitely pushed me to the limit after all those rounds. I'm excited to have moved up, but it's a long road still ahead! Any and all credit goes to three gentlemen: 1) Rolando Garcia (4 Ranges) for preparing me for the exam,
2) Armando Basulto for putting on a great seminar filled with good BFS training methods,
and most of all 3) Roy Harris, for starting me down the Savate road, and with good mechanics! :) ~Chris
10/26/07 6:30 PM
4 Ranges

My friend Chris: You're very welcome my friend. :) You worked hard for this test and it really showed. One thing that I particularly liked about your movement was that you understood how to LENGTHEN your strikes. Whether they landed or not, you knew to keep the integrity of the length of your kicks/punches. So when they missed, it kept me away, and when they landed, it was at a good distance. VERY good work, and I look forward to seeing you develop more in this art. R--- PS: check out the gallery section of badfactory.net - some pics of the seminar are there. I'm working on a short clip to put up on youtube. :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.