UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> Army Times

10/23/07 1:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SFC Matt Larsen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Oct-07

I just finished writing a letter to the editor of Army Times for running Michelle Tan's article about the tournament next to that BS article about bar fighting. I am asking all of you to do the same. Remember that you don't want to sound petty, just offended by the association with drunken brawlers. here is my letter. "I am writing to express my dismay at the decision of the Army Times editors in running Michelle Tan's excellent article on the Army Combatives Championships on the same page as Andrew deGrandpre's claptrap about drunken brawling. It is unfortunate that the Army Times cannot see the difference between Eugene Robinson, a self described "thrash rocker and brawler" with the disciplined warrior-athletes who compete for the pride of representing their units in the toughest competition in the Army. This decision, essentially comparing some of the finest and most disciplined Soldiers in the Army to bar room ruffians, is more than unfortunate it is disgraceful. These Soldiers exemplify the selflessness, drive and dedication expressed in the Army values. They spend countless hours training their minds and bodies to be champions not for glory but because it makes them better Soldiers. Several of the Army's top competitors have turned down offers of tens of thousands of dollars to fight in pay-per-view events in order to deploy with their squads or teams in the real fights in Iraq and Afghanistan . To these men combatives training and competition is simply a method to prepare themselves better for their mission. The same mission your reporters risk their lives to cover. They deserve better."
10/23/07 1:51 PM
AsiaI

Good I thought it was just me. I opened it and was like WTF? Now pple are going to think we're a bunch of drunken brawlers.
10/23/07 2:28 PM
Jeff Yurk
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fort Bragg Combat MMA

Tomko and I sent an e-mail off this afternoon.

It is a good lesson though. When even the editor in charge of the Army Times is still lumping th Army Combatives fights in with some idiot talking about punching people in the face, it continues to stress the importance of everyone to sell the program the right way on a daily basis.

10/23/07 2:38 PM
durnil

Matt, Is Michelle Tan's article available online? -Dave
10/23/07 4:23 PM
ghille
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought I was the only drunked brawler here??
10/24/07 7:22 PM
SFC Matt Larsen

Edited: 24-Oct-07
ttt
10/25/07 8:52 AM
rafie

Edited: 25-Oct-07
ALCON Email send because I really dissapointed at them you know hard for us to get some support Rafie
10/25/07 9:59 AM
rafie

Edited: 25-Oct-07
ALCON My letter: After numerous years involved in Martial Arts to be exact 18 years and currently serving the army for 11 I was really disappointed when I saw the article of the All Army Combatives Tournament besides the one Some guys just like a good brawl. The Article said " they are trying to be so ugly to each other" but the author apparently do not know how hard those soldiers train to just compete and some other them become champion. Some soldiers even pay their own way to the tournament for the love that they have to Modern Army Combatives. None of us are brawlers. We share in those 3 days teaching, training techniques to better and improved our Post programs. Why you want to be a brawler when you got all the tools in the Modern Army Programs. This soldiers (fighters) overcome obstacles to reach a level of training that each soldier should have before getting deploy to Afghanistan or Iraq. This training that we go thru do not provoked such inner animal like author said. It will instill on you confidence, courage and the willing to close the distance with the enemy at all cause. You can not compare and either put an article besides soldiers that some of them risk their life every time. Matter of fact in my 18 years of fighting experience I walk away from fights. What is the reason of engaging in a fight? I do fighting (training) five days a week I don't need to prove myself to nobody on the street. If a ever use my skills will be somewhere down range.
10/26/07 7:59 AM
SFC Matt Larsen

Edited: 26-Oct-07
Great letter Rafie. Come on guys. The only way the editors are going to know what we are really about is if we tell them. They think that Combatives is just entertainment and they will keep thinking that if they only get two letters.
10/26/07 9:09 AM
rafie

Matt No problem brother! Anytime! Let me know when can set up a meeting with the post commander here if yuo available Rafie
10/26/07 12:28 PM
sharky1299

Matt, Can you please drop a link to the article. Over here in Iraq we train on the FOB as much as possible and I for one think it does nothing but help the soldiers in sector as well as instilling more and more of the Warrior Ethos. Davenport
10/26/07 1:23 PM
SFC Matt Larsen

Michelle's big article isn't on line brother. Drum up some press coverage of your training over there. Just be careful that it doesn't end up looking like a few guys with a BJJ or MMA club like the Alaska guys did. That doesn't help the effort. Matt
10/26/07 3:00 PM
sharky1299

Matt, I'll work on some press for the program. Here in Baquhba we always have press running around here. We get the Army Times about week or so late around here. What issue was is published? By the way congrats on another outstanding event. We can always depend on you guys for quality stuff, even if Yurk did compete. Davenport
10/26/07 4:04 PM
Jeff Yurk
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fort Bragg Combat MMA

Hey, I heard that...

10/30/07 8:43 AM
DBrallier

Edited: 30-Oct-07
I sent an e-mail as well.
11/4/07 5:16 PM
BigDaddyPerkins

Edited: 04-Nov-07
I just did MACP with the Iraqi Army, man now if I could only tool the guys in the states like that.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.