UnderGround Forums

Português UnderGround >> help me learn portuguese

10/23/07 8:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Malachy Friedman
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Oct-07

Ive been to brasil twice as a child. And really fell in love with the culture and people. I cant justify spending so much money for another visit for the hell of it. So I'd like to learn Portuguese and when I've accomplished that I can reward myself with a trip there. What are the best workbooks and tapes to help me with my learning. I know there could be some english or portuguese teachers here that could give me some insight
10/26/07 12:12 AM
Malachy Friedman
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Oct-07
move somewhere where someone will help
10/26/07 6:59 PM
DonnaTroy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Oct-07
Please Google "learn portuguese"
11/4/07 8:27 PM
Malachy Friedman

Edited: 04-Nov-07
thanks for the help i downloaded a bootleg of a learning cd i couldnt find a workbook i remember highschool spanish workbooks and remembered how humdrum and dry they were but they made me learn the language or at least copy it from a friend
11/9/07 11:49 PM
HillaryLRHC
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Nov-07
I'm using Rosetta Stone. It's a great program, I'm learning quickly and retaining it. 1)Shell out the 400+ bucks for the program, probably worth it. 2)Download it illegally. 3)Know someone in the Army, they get free Rosetta Stone.
4/2/08 3:12 PM
Rolamos
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 2 2008 12:00A

Malachy, I understand not wanting to go until you think you know the language but nothing on earth will teach as fast as immersion. Learn some basics like how to say thank you, how to form basic sentences, how to know when someone is asking you basic things( what's your name, are you hungry?, etc.) Then go and just talk to people. Find people who speak a little English as they will be able to bridge gaps for you. They will also tend to have the most patience with you since they understand the difficulty in learning a new language.

while you are there, continue studying. keep a dictionary close at hand. Some of my first conversations were with Brasilians who wanted to learn English and we just passed the dictionary back and forth for hours. GEt a verb book and learn the roots of verbs. Conjugatin them is important but it is more important to first recognize that a word spoke is the conjugation of a verb. Talk to little kids when possible. They will be easier to understand and it will give you confidence in trying out the language. I learned all the parts of the face from a 6year old and her grandmother.

My portuguese is not perfect but I have my in-;laws staying with me right now so it is getting better by the day and I am also willing to help where I can.

8/24/08 5:45 PM
gorgesjorj
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how is the portuguese coming along, malachy? summer is coming up and it would be a good time to. dec-march are nice.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.

Only Pro Members and Moderators are allowed to post to this thread. Upgrade to a Pro Member account today!