UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> Anyone see this re: NOVA?

10/29/07 10:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cycklops
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Oct-07 09:36 AM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzlBPtqTlv4

10/31/07 3:03 AM
JDee
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Oct-07
Thanks for that,..real interesting. - Juggs
11/4/07 7:31 AM
Chocolate Shatner
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Nov-07
cyklops, As a current worker in Japan, and unil last month a teacher for NOVA, I can tell you that the situation is a bit of a shitstorm. The CEO, IMHO, basically pulled an Enron and did a lot of really shady shit. I was lucky. I saw the writing on the wall in mid September, and found another job in another prefecture. However, I am still owed my last NOVA paycheck, about $1500 American. There are many who feel that the teachers who are now in a bind are deserving of massive amounts of sympathy, and those who feel that they should recieve none. I take a middle road. The "horror stories" of teachers having to pawn their clothes and shit is true, however, I have little sympathy for some of the teachers. I was with NOVA for only 4 months, and recieved only 3 paychecks, yet I still was able to save over 130,000 yen that has carried me through my move and to my new job, to the point where I have only had to take about a 30,000 yen forward on my new salary (to pay for the rent on my new apartment for November). Am I scraping by? Yep. Got only about 10,000 yen to my name right now until the 15th. But I am making it. Meanwhile, many of the horror stories you hear about from NOVA teachers who are now in trouble, well, some of them I knew. They were the teachers who, when I went home after work and exercised or cruised the Internet some, went out. Not just once or twice a week (hey, even I went out some), but the "charisma boys" who cruised the bars 5 or 6 nights a week, downing beer and sake and trying to chat up everything in a skirt, whether it spoke English or not (and sometimes, if it had a vagina or not). They were the teachers who, when payday rolled around (even when we were getting paid), were looking at single digit bank accounts before the pay deposit. Hell, some of them I even made short term loans to (making sure to get paid back within a week of payday), because I felt a few bits of pity for them. However, I know with my little time I am the exception. I know of teachers newer than me who only got one or two paychecks, and that just isn't enough to get any type of savings going. For them, I feel some pity. For the others, who did work hard, and are now living on savings, I do feel sory. For the "charisma boys" who now realize that their fun times are over, and that they now have to face the reality of hard living, well, I feel very little pity for.
11/5/07 10:15 PM
cycklops
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Nov-07
I worked for them for 4 years. I just figured they'd fade away or everyone would start getting a grasp on english or there would be a bigger grass roots push for the grade schoolers and because of that NOVA would lose its foothold. I never expected this. I still have a few friends that this is affecting. (it's probably time they left anyway lol)
11/6/07 1:26 AM
Chocolate Shatner
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Nov-07
cyklops, the language push is getting down to the grade schools, but what you are seeing is a use of the ALT from private companies to do that, going around to a school about 1 or 2 times a week and teaching in the classroom. It's about 1/4 my work now, going around to various schools and teaching for 2-3 hours a week at each. As for everyone getting a grasp of the language, I doubt it, based off of the JHS kids I work with. They don't give a shit, they're there because they want to pass English and get into a good HS and then University. They forget it as soon as they don't need it any more, or those who know they don't want to go to a Todai or Meidai just say fuck it from the beginning. Think about it this way man. They've been teaching Spanish in junior high schools and high schools in America for going on 20-30 years now. I took a year each in high school and university. Yet, I speak very little of the language. If I took a job where speaking Spanish was a plus for promotion, I'd have to study again. Same with English here, which means there will always be a market for it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.