UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Done Grappling.... MRSA?

10/30/07 7:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mr Lucky
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Oct-07

I have a cut on my neck got infected, went to the ER. Results came back as MRSA! I'm on anti biotics, i don't physically feel sick. I feel a little sick to my stomach cuz i don't know if I'll be able to do bjj anymore, don't wanna pass it on or get it again. I've had eczema my whole life so skin condition is always an issue. Question is do ppl come back to training after? Should I tell ppl I have/had MRSA before rolling with them? Roy how do you feel about it as an instructor. Any info from anybody would be appreciated..... Mr unlucky
10/30/07 9:02 PM
twinkletoesCT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Oct-07
Modern Self-Defense Center
I would ask your treating physician when you can go back to BJJ. Be clear that it's a wrestling-like discipline. They will probably clear you to train again when your course of antibiotics is through, but that MRSA is some serious stuff! You want to make sure that you are not endangering the health or lives of your training partners! ~Chris
10/31/07 12:10 AM
John Turner

Edited: 31-Oct-07
judo-bjj-dvd.com

What is MRSA?

10/31/07 7:26 AM
twinkletoesCT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi John, MRSA is a particularly strong strain of staph that is receiving a lot of attention in the USA these days (because it is medically resistant and has popped up in several states recently, causing some fatalities).
10/31/07 9:35 AM
John Turner

judo-bjj-dvd.com
Thanks Chris...I thought it had something to do w/ staph, but couldn't put the letters together. Take care, John
10/31/07 3:16 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mr Lucky, MRSA is serious stuff. For those who are unfamiliar with it, take a look at these websites: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/ar_mrsa.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methicillin-resistant_Staphylococcus_aureus http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mrsa/DS00735 MRSA is no joke and should be taken VERY serious! Do people come back after training? Yes, but only with a note from their doctor. You should not feel compelled to tell people you HAD MRSA at one point in time in your life. If you have been cleared by an MD, then you are within your own rights to keep this information to yourself. As an instructor, I have a responsibility to provide a safe and injury free training environment. A part of that responsibility involves dealing with medical issues from time to time. Recently, I put my foot down and disallowed students at my academy from training at a particular academy in San Diego because of skin related issues. While this action pissed off a bunch of people, I did not care. I chose to side with the majority instead of those who felt I was either picking on someone or that I was somehow using this situation to prevent my students from training else where. What mattered most to me during this period of time was the health and safety of ALL OF MY STUDENTS, not just the few who trained at other schools. Keep your head up Mr. Lucky. Your time to train will come again. Between now and then, put some time in on your mind. Develop a stronger connection between your mind and your muscles. Or, take a break from Jiu Jitsu training all together. In other words, clear your mind. Then, when you are ready and have been cleared by an MD, begin a new journey in Jiu Jitsu! Sincerely, Roy Harris
11/1/07 11:00 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Nov-07
InvisiblePinkUni, Yes, I am coming out with a new instructional DVD series. This first series will be a set of twenty-five (25) instructional DVDs (on Jiu Jitsu). I finished filming the first one last weekend and will be filming volume two in a couple of weeks (after I get back from Canada and Germany). Volume one will be ready by Christmas, maybe volume two. These new instructional DVDs will break new ground, but will also feature previously recorded material from many of my other volumes. Some have asked, "Why am I re-filming some of the old material?" My response, "Because the new material is SO MUCH BETTER than the old material!" I have always been a firm believer in personal "research and development". And over the years, I have discovered some REALLY good stuff - new stuff that I have not taught to the general public. Also, in January of 2008, it will have been TEN YEARS since I was first promoted to black belt. A lot has changed since that time. I have changed. My students have changed. The world of Jiu Jitsu has changed. So, since there has been a lot of change, I'd like to show some of the new stuff that my students and I have been working on - new stuff that will make HUGE differences in your game (because I have simplified the process) ! My journey in Jiu Jitsu from effectiveness to efficiency to playfulness has been a roller coaster ride. I've had some ups and downs, but the experience has been adventurous and memorable! With these new instructionals, I will once again RAISE THE BAR on quality instruction in Jiu Jitsu. However, I will lower the production quality AND lower the amount of time I spend on production so I can maintain a healthy balance between production time, product quality / value and my life outside of Jiu Jitsu. NOTE: I tried to have these instructional produced by other production companies (so that I would not have to do all of the production work - and could focus exclusively on being "the talent"), but none of them were interested. So, it will take me longer to produce these new Jiu Jitsu instructionals, but in the end, I am sure you will be delighted in the new material - Cuz so much of it is GROUNDBREAKING! Keep your eyes open for the new ads and magazine articles. Roy Harris : )
11/1/07 11:37 PM
twinkletoesCT

Edited: 01-Nov-07
^^^Word
11/2/07 9:03 AM
4 Ranges

Edited: 02-Nov-07
Comrade Roy: I'm so looking forward to these DVD's! R---
11/2/07 10:45 PM
Cherrypicker

Edited: 02-Nov-07
"This first series will be a set of twenty-five (25) instructional DVDs (on Jiu Jitsu)." 25!!...25!!! That is amazing.
11/5/07 5:30 PM
BenWS

Edited: 05-Nov-07
"With these new instructionals, I will once again RAISE THE BAR on quality instruction in Jiu Jitsu. However, I will lower the production quality AND lower the amount of time I spend on production so I can maintain a healthy balance between production time, product quality / value and my life outside of Jiu Jitsu." For me personally i think content is the most important thing, so i am glad you are going to RAISE THE BAR and not worry so much about production. Really looking forward to the new dvds.
12/31/07 5:51 PM
Swift

Edited: 31-Dec-07
I rather have good information and details than slick production.
1/2/08 2:15 PM
Ted Bennett
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Jan-08

Ditto that - Michael Jen's tapes really opened my eyes in that regard - the production values are minimal, but the info is priceless. As I've gotten more tapes/DVD's (including Roy's), I have found that impressive production values add exactly *squat* to my overall impression of a given instructional once I've watched it. Heck, there's a new instructional that was just released that has GREAT production values (and whose creator shall remain nameless!), and it annoyed the bejeezus out of me with how much was left unsaid or unexplained.....but goshdangit,  it sure wuz purty :-/

I mean, do we really need to wait an extra 6 months and have Roy and the rest drive themselves crazy trying to prettify their stuff with whizbang CGI?  :-P

1/3/08 5:08 PM
groundfighter2000
317 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Jan-08
I think Roy likes to have the top notch production quality, to satisfy himself, in terms of making the best instructional in all aspects: production, information etc. But I can't speak for Roy.
1/3/08 9:11 PM
Roy Harris

Edited: 03-Jan-08
Ted Bennett, Tsk, tsk tsk! I thought by now you would have developed more of a skill in "attention to detail." No where in my writings did I say anything about "prettify" my stuff or increasing "the production value" of my new instructionals. I specifically stated, "I will once again RAISE THE BAR on quality instruction in Jiu Jitsu." Production quality is only something that CERTAIN people pay attention to when they write "reviews", or are considering "affiliate sales." For the average Jiu Jitsu or grappling consumer, all they want is "information." However, even this "information" group is highly selective. For example, my BJJ 201 DVD had TONS of information on it, yet many stated I was trying to hard to show off my new post-editing skills. What they missed (unfortunately for them and for everyone else) is that the motive of my heart was to put as much information as I could on one DVD (within the confines of what the DVD would allow me to do), mixed with a bit of glitz for the select few who would notice it. That DVD bombed! But that's OK. I would much rather spend 100 on a production than 600 hours any day. I thought my viewers could be disciplined enough with their eyes to watch the audio and video portion of the DVD and ignore the scrolling text. However, I was wrong. Most were info junkies who could decide what to focus on. So, all of the new instructionals will have my bare minimum standards for production quality, which will be alittle higher than the level of Arm Locks, Volume One. However, the quality of instruction will be MUCH MUCH higher. There is so much more to say on this topic, however, I need to get back to work. The new DVDs will be better than my older DVDs. I promise! Roy Harris
1/4/08 5:19 PM
Ted Bennett
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Jan-08

Tsk, tsk tsk! I thought by now you would have developed more of a skill in "attention to detail."

Roy, I was joking ;-)  Reductio ad absurdem, that kind of thing. And since others raised the issue of importance of production value, that's where my joke was aimed. Since you did say you were going to lower the production quality (in order to keep your sanity), I was essentially saying that I thought that was a great move.

More seriously, though, I'm pretty sure we're on the same page - I agree that of the vids I have seen from you, they are heavy what I wish to see (i.e., information, whether technical, visual, verbal, written, or conceptual, etc). They are in contrast to vids with lots of pretty animations and graphics but whose techniques leave me scratching my head either due to lack of detail, no follow-up (i.e., this is a common resistance to that move I just showed, here's how to deal with it, etc.) or else 10 repetitions of a move to eat up tape time.

In contrast to your style - as I mentioned above, I saw a new vid that clearly was polished over a long period of time in the editing room. The DVD had all kinds of cool "extras" on it. On the technical portion, the instructor would show a move, then have it demonstrated from 3 different camera angles, and then in slow motion, all with neat music, etc. Only problem was that he simply showed the move - he didn't explain it *at all.* What are his hips doing here? Is he extending his legs or pulling them into his chest? Where is his grip? Where is his opponent's weight on him? None of that was said whatsoever (he literally explained *nothing*), though I suppose a sophisticated viewer who was a good visual learner might pick it up. After having watched the vid, I was at about the same level as I was before watching it. To me, that spoke of lots of attention to production value and very poor attention to the information presented and the teaching style. 

I'm glad you appear to be taking the opposite tack.

1/4/08 6:43 PM
demandango

"What they missed (unfortunately for them and for everyone else) is that the motive of my heart was to put as much information as I could on one DVD (within the confines of what the DVD would allow me to do), mixed with a bit of glitz for the select few who would notice it. That DVD bombed!" roy, what criteria are you judging the dvd on to say it 'bombed'? it is by far my favourite instructional, and is also the most unique. of the people that like your teaching style, it seems to be a favourite. was it a bomb sales wise or financially?
1/4/08 11:03 PM
twinkletoesCT

which will be alittle higher than the level of Arm Locks, Volume One I don't know where this falls in the scheme of production value, but I thought BJJ Over 40 had a crisp, clean look to it that was elegant while unobtrusive.
1/8/08 3:25 PM
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Jan-08
I actually like 201. Good information. It is an excellent reference.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.