UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Motortrend says Ricer owns Z06 :(

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

11/3/07 5:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jkdandforrestfan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Nov-07

I had hoped all this was just bs hype but I finally got a copy of motortrend that has this cover http://www.motorauthority.com/images/Odds/2007/10/Motor_Trend/motor_trend_cover_dec.jpg and things dont look good for us Vette fans. The Z06 had been the absolute best bang for the buck but motortrend is saying that now the gtr ricer is. It is also faster on a track then the z06 and my ricer friend is seriously letting me have it because ofr the last couple years i told him there is NO WAY that the gtr could go faster on a track and that the z06 would OWN it .motortrend says the gtr has a backseat and all weel drive and is faster then the z06 on a track! He is really letting me have it now and came over to laugh at the motortrend article proveing him right. hopefully that blue devil or the new z06 comes out soon to reclaim its throne but right now things are looking bad. i hope the japanese dont do to sports cars what they did to regular cars and dominate us but things dont look good now. this video here really pisses me off since it shows the gtr doing what i never thought it could do and my friend keeps emailing me this link. http://honda-portal.com/honda-videos.php?video_id=662 any word on when a new z06 will come out? for now all i can brag about is that the z06 looks cooler but that is about it. fuck!
11/3/07 5:46 PM
stevekt
1012 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Nov-07
The Nissan GT-R is not a ricer. These are ricers:
11/6/07 5:01 AM
jacketwrestler

Edited: 06-Nov-07
'i hope the japanese dont do to sports cars what they did to regular cars and dominate us but things dont look good now.' this statement made me chuckle.
11/6/07 9:15 AM
big_slacker
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This whole thing has to be a troll job. The GTR (skyline) is a a great step forward for modern sports cars. I can't imagine anyone would care whether it can run the ring faster than a z06. So what, that means chevy makes a better z06 which either succeeds or fails. That is good stuff, not bad.
11/6/07 11:40 AM
ArmbarKing
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chevy is already in the process of making a better Corvette that will have almost 200 hp more than the GT-R that will certainly run circles around it. I just don't believe that the GT-R is faster than the Z06..........Less hp and tq and more weight just don't add up to faster lap times.
11/6/07 1:41 PM
Mark1

"Chevy is already in the process of making a better Corvette that will have almost 200 hp more than the GT-R that will certainly run circles around it. " Production mules have been around for year. It is offically called the ZR-1, formerly known as the Blue Devil. Mark
11/6/07 5:33 PM
johnnypayne
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I just don't believe that the GT-R is faster than the Z06..........Less hp and tq and more weight just don't add up to faster lap times. " Better traction, torque distribution allowing faster cornering, better brakes, better transmission, it all add up to better real world performance than the BHP figure suggests, it's the same reason a Mistubishi FQ400 is faster than a Lamborghini Gallardo which has 100 more HP and why the Prodrive P2 with only 340BHP can keep pace with all out supercars
11/7/07 9:51 AM
ArmbarKing
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Nov-07
Yeah I have been following the development of the ZR-1/Blue Devil/SS/Stingray for a long time now. The finished product will be at NAIAS this year. I am hoping that the body work will differentiate more from the Z06 than what we have seen so far on the test mules. In any case the 6.2l 650 hp V8 is going to scream and hopefully will be very mod friendly. johnnypayne, How do you figure the GTR has better traction than the Z? The Vette has more rubber on the ground than the GTR.......if we were talking about a 0-60 race then I might agree with you given the AWD of the GTR - although the Z is still capable of ridiculous 0-60 times. The Z06 is also no slouch when it comes to braking, and it does have a very good transmission, certainly not weak points in the vehicle. I have a hard time believing that the GT-R would be significantly better off in these categories that would enable it to overcome a 500+ lb weight disadvantage and power disadvantage to post a 'Ring lap time 4 seconds faster than the Z06. If you can provide independant test data showing some performance #'s for the GT-R I would love to see it.....so far the only thing I have seen is the reported 7:38 'ring time and the absurd claims that if they had better conditions they would see 7:32 - equaling the time posted by the Carrera GT. Please. The GT-R is a great vehicle, I am excited for it and think Nissan has done a great job with it.......but I am skeptical of it being faster than a Z06.
11/7/07 12:45 PM
Ponyboy
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL at motortrend, the magazine that picked the dodge omni and renault alliance as car of the year.
11/7/07 6:43 PM
johnnypayne
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"How do you figure the GTR has better traction than the Z? The Vette has more rubber on the ground than the GTR.......if we were talking about a 0-60 race then I might agree with you given the AWD of the GTR - although the Z is still capable of ridiculous 0-60 times. " More rubber on the ground? Not powered it doesn't, and with the active diffs the power is distributed to each wheel according to grip, amount of lock on etc, rmember, the stock R34 was pretty much uncrashable, get out of shape and you just feed in more power and the computers sort everything out. The transmission sucks, straight up, it's just bad, and as for the brakes, the Z06 (C6) stops in the exact same distace (110 feet) as the R34 skyline which is 400lbs heavier, and that is an OLD car by comparison. Technology makes a BIG difference
11/7/07 8:32 PM
Mark1

"Technology makes a BIG difference" But physics makes a bigger difference. Mark
11/7/07 9:00 PM
johnnypayne

"But physics makes a bigger difference." Tell that to anti lock brakes
11/8/07 11:02 AM
Ponyboy
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Nov-07
Anti lock braking has longer distances than threshold braking.
11/8/07 11:09 AM
ArmbarKing

"The transmission sucks, straight up, it's just bad, and as for the brakes, the Z06 (C6) stops in the exact same distace (110 feet) as the R34 skyline which is 400lbs heavier, and that is an OLD car by comparison." lol, thanks for the highly scientific review of the Z06 transmission. The fact is that the 08 Z06 is equipped with the new Tremec Tr-6060 transmission that is better in every way than the tranny it replaces. This is a great transmission by all accounts. Here is a thread talking about the new tranny: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1699756&highlight=2008+transmission As far as the brakes are concerned, Sport Auto tested a Z06 and a 997 Turbo in 60-0 and 120-0 braking tests. The Z won both. Is there room for improvement in the stock brakes? Sure, but overall they have excellent performance. As far as traction, my point still stands that the Z has a bigger footprint on all 4 corners compared with the GT-R. It puts the power down very well coming out of corners.......the only place the GT-R will beat it is in traction from a dig, but even then the Z06 has ripped 0-60 times of better than 3.6 seconds.
11/8/07 5:42 PM
johnnypayne

"The fact is that the 08 Z06 is equipped with the new Tremec Tr-6060 transmission that is better in every way than the tranny it replaces" I actually didn't know that, I haven't driven it, I'm going off the original C6 Z06, the only one I've been behind the wheel of. "As far as traction, my point still stands that the Z has a bigger footprint on all 4 corners compared with the GT-R. It puts the power down very well coming out of corners.......the only place the GT-R will beat it is in traction from a dig, but even then the Z06 has ripped 0-60 times of better than 3.6 seconds. " All the power for the Z06 goes to those 325/30R19 rear tyres, wheras in the GTR its distributed across both the 255 fronts and the 285 rears, giving a larger powered footprint, which means more powered tractive surface, which means you can get on the power much sooner through corners than with a Z06, and you can take the corners faster by actually having drive to the front wheel on the outside of the corner (all of which is controlled by the computer so you don't overcome friction), and the active diffs make a difference, you just have to look at the 5 second difference in the top gear power lap times for the prodrive P2 with the diff on as opposed to off to know that. Some thing else you yanks should remember is that the Z06 is only a cheap car in the states, to get a new one over here you're talking about ?55k minimum ($110k, with the regular C6 at about ?40k/$80K), that's before you get into the options list, for that money there are far better value cars to buy, even american ones, I could pick up a brand new mustang and have $60-70,000 to spend reworking it into a car I'd actually like to drive, not just look at, or I could grab something like a fully specced Audi S5 and still have 10,000 pounds change in my pocket, yeah it'd be slower, but a hell of a lot more refined. Anyway all this is moot until some independant testing gets done
11/11/07 2:00 AM
LiteBlu
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Nov-07
LOL @ you thinking the GTR's a ricer.
11/18/07 2:06 AM
elmo

Edited: 18-Nov-07 02:11 AM

LOL at Vettes:alldieselmotorsports.vidiac.com/recentvideos/7/wm/34d72420-8047-4d25-b7c5-ce6b7d405e66.htm

11/18/07 9:36 PM
ArmbarKing

Edited: 18-Nov-07
First off, your truck is fast, no denying that. But you beat a 350 hp LS1 convertible Vette, the slowest Vette in the last 10 years. A new Z06 is capable of running 11.2x @ 127+ mph bone stock with the right driver.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.