UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Struggling at work

11/4/07 8:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DonnaTroy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Nov-07

So, since August I have a new boss, a former coworker. He indicated, a year ago, another person to work in my system. He told me that would be a very good cooperator, which the time showed was a complete lie, since this person cannot fix a simple computer program without asking for help. That is, there are two years I am leading the development of a difficult system without anyone to back me up, and my team is made of average almost mediocre people. There are two years that I've been pushing the work alone, with a team pulling my efforts back. Now this new boss made his own promises that the system will be delivered by the end of December. Which I know that, with this team, is impossible. He got 600 extra-hours at the budget, found two good people to do the job, but if you know a bit of system analysis, you know that a person only begins to understand the business after six months working hard on it, unless the person is a genious and is completely dedicated to learn it. That is, they may be of some help, but not enough. Now, the worse part. He wants ME to work every holyday and weekend (saturdays and sundays) untill the end of December. I've already told him that I am not tailored for such thing. I never wanted to be the main responsible for the project, neither wanted to deal with having to teach/lead stupid people. I am not healthy enough to make such effort, my house began to be full of clutter again, since when I arrive home I don't want to take care of it, overwhelmed. Surely tomorrow there will be some discussion, since I told him I would not work today, a Sunday. I need, I must rest. He has been telling me that I'm not commited with the project enough. As if I haven't done enough after two years training more than ten people, that didn't stay at the project for several different reasons. The company where I work is the type that gives not so subtle messages of firing a person, no matter how qualified he is, if the person doesn't obey. My only asset is that he depends completely on me to keep the project going on. I know that perhaps I'll read some good advices here, but I ask you prayers in order to give me strength, wisdom and patience to deal with this difficult situation. Thank you.
11/10/07 11:42 PM
thesleeper

Edited: 10-Nov-07
What country do you work in?
11/11/07 1:46 PM
DonnaTroy

Edited: 11-Nov-07
Brazil.
11/11/07 2:58 PM
thesleeper

Edited: 11-Nov-07
Well, in the States I would tell you to come up with some excuse that allowed you more time to look for another job and cut your hours back. However, since I taught English in Taubate to a bunch of people that work for multinationals, it is difficult to give you advice due to how competitive the job market is there. If you suffer through, they will expect you to do it again or promote you. If you think your prospects of promotion are low, I recommend sending out resumes now. If it takes that long to train someone to do the project, he will be fucked if he fires you. If you get to a position where you can't continue, it would be a good idea to bring that to his attention and tell him what you want to continue.
11/12/07 7:37 PM
DonnaTroy

Edited: 12-Nov-07
Yeap, the market is full of unemployed people. I am sure that I wasn't fired because I am very good at what I do (although I am terrible at arriving early in the morning).
11/13/07 6:05 PM
thesleeper

Edited: 13-Nov-07
Are you a project manager?
11/13/07 6:52 PM
DonnaTroy

Not a manager, but the brain of the team. I have no formal authority power, only that that is based on deep knowledge about the project.
11/13/07 8:58 PM
thesleeper

Ahhh, than you need to make sure that no one but you knows whats going on and work on becoming a 'consultant'. I talked to a computer programer that did this and became a millionaire when they realized that no one could even learn the haphazard system he had worked out to run their databases. He deliberately organized it so that it required experience rather than systematizing so that other people could easily access it.
11/14/07 7:46 PM
DonnaTroy

Edited: 14-Nov-07
I know, but this type of person can never rest or take vacations. I know a few of them too. One can handle this for a while, but when age comes, it becomes harder and harder to keep the system working.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.