UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> 1st Int'l Black Belt

11/4/07 12:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Nov-07

I'd like to congratulate Mr. Brian Bird (of Calgary, AB, Canada) for taking and passing his black belt examination in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu on Friday evening, November 2, 2007! Brian's three and a half hour test was both grueling and memorable. I can tell that Brian put a lot of time and hard work into preparing for this examination!!

During the last hour of the examination, Brian had to grapple for eight (8)minutes with each of his five training partners. He made efforts to finish each of them, at least five times, with various submissions. Brian surprised everyone when he finished one of his training partners with a wrist lock!

Finally, after two hours of performing drills on training partners who were resisting full bore, after forty-five minutes of executing various teaching scenarios, and after sparring for forty minutes NON-STOP with his five training partners, Brian had to spar with me for the final eight minutes. This was a true test of his determination!  After his test, Brian told us the following: "During the last minute of our match, I remember thinking to myself, 'If I pass out because of the pressure on my chest, hopefully I'll wake up with a black belt around my waist.' "

Well, Brian didn't pass out during the test, but he did pass the black belt examination with flying colors. Brian demonstrated the technical proficiency that I was looking for in a black belt. He demonstrated a high level of skill with regard to teaching and presentation, and he showed a lot of heart with the sparring portion of the examination.

I was proud to wrap a very well deserved black belt around Brian's waist!

Congratulations Brian!

Roy Harris

Harris International
11/5/07 12:04 PM
twinkletoesCT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Nov-07
Modern Self-Defense Center
Congratulations Brian! VERY VERY COOL! ~Chris
11/6/07 2:19 AM
dakuan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Nov-07
congratations Brian.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.