UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Greek and Latin

11/4/07 2:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DJ Hapa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Nov-07

Has anyone studied both Ancient Greek and Latin and could you tell me which is more difficult to learn, aside from the alphabet. Does Greek have more irregular verbs?
11/14/07 11:54 PM
Socrates

Edited: 14-Nov-07
Latin is more structured and regular, and thus easier to learn. Its constructions are clearly defined. In Greek, the reasons for certain constructions are vague and arbitrary. But, the Greek authors are better, and make it worthwhile, IMO.
11/16/07 7:16 PM
DJ Hapa

Edited: 16-Nov-07
"WTF?! I thought you were posting pics. GET OUT OF MY OFICE!!!!!" Tell me about "Latin". Never heard of that. Socrates, What do you make of the tendency of schools to teach Latin first and Greek later? Is it just the difficulty of the irregular constructions? Considering the Greeks came first and so much of Roman lit refers to Greek sources, I would think it would be the other way around. Maybe it is the fact that Latin was the western language and Greek the eastern.
11/19/07 10:55 PM
he beat himself

Edited: 19-Nov-07
DJ Hapa: I hate to simplify it without proper thought, but since rome dispersed far and wide, latin was reproduced more so than greek. Their texts were thus at hand to copy. It would become something like a standard practice to copy them; then, once possible, to translate these texts from latin to the local idiom.
11/24/07 7:07 AM
kikenyoy
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Nov-07
Ask on the forum here: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/ There are many students of each.
1/15/08 11:44 AM
Giorgos

Edited: 15-Jan-08
being a native greek speaker, who also knows ancient Greek and Latin, Greek is by far harder. Tons more accents, irregularities and grammatical structure that an english speaker will have a harder time understanding than the "more" familiar latin structure; vocabulary as well.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.