UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> GMAT studying advice?

11/4/07 2:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PitBullsRule
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Nov-07

Anyone have good suggestions for studying for the GMAT? Is there one thats considered head and shoulders above the rest? Thanks!
2/14/08 2:46 AM
danablack0404
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Feb-08
aderol
4/17/08 3:08 PM
turbotax

Edited: Apr 17 2008 12:00A
Take a Kaplan course...or find somebody who teaches Kaplan that you can pay less. The test is all about strategy, I took the course and it teaches you the strategies - you don't need the best verbal and math skills, you need logic skills. my score went up substantially after the class but it would have been higher if I had the time to use all the Kaplan materials. It's expensive, but it makes the difference between top 25 school or top 50.
6/30/08 4:09 PM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

Turbotax, Im prepping for the GMATs right now. My strongest skills are in the verbal section. Unfortunately, my math skills are horrific. Im not talking horrific as in Im decent at Trig or Calculus. I have not taken a math course since high school. What would you suggest for me?

Im willing to get a private tutor. Im just scared that they will reject me because Im so far behind:(
8/31/08 12:10 PM
turbotax

You don't need to worry about your math skills...the test is strictly logic based so it's not about whether know. no high level math is on the test. the biggest hurdle for me was taking the test on a computer as opposed to on paper. the paper tests didn't translate well because, obviously, it's a different mode of learning.
8/31/08 1:25 PM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

Turbo, when did you take the test? If recently, I have a few questions for you...
9/7/08 12:58 PM
turbotax

I took the test dec 22 or something like that. i'll try my best to answer your questions.
9/9/08 11:24 AM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

TT, thanks so much...If you hae a chance, please check this thread once in a while. I plan to take my test in December. A few questions:

1. Did you take any prep courses (Kaplan, Manhattan...)? Do you think that they helped your score?

2. Which section of the test do you believe to be most difficult?

3. Do you receive any printout on the questions that you missed?

4. I have a Prep book from 2008. There were two sections that gave me trouble. The first was Quantatative Comparisons.

Ex: Which side is greater, Column A or Column B?

The second section was Quantatative Symbolism.

Ex: If a ^ means to multiply A by 3 and a $ means to divide a by -2, what is the value of ((8$)^)$?

Where both of these sections in the test or where they scratched out?

Thanks a lot for any kind of response bro.
9/9/08 2:15 PM
turbotax

1. I took Kaplan and think it helped my score tremendously. Investing 1200 in improving your score enough to get into a top 25/30 school is worth it in the long run. If you're really smart and going to get a 700 anyways, not really important.
2.I thought the math was most difficult, but if you can look at each section as if it were a logic problem and dissect them that way, it will be easier. remember, it doesn't matter how you get the answer, just that you get it correct.
3.they don't give out questions you miss because they do not disclose "live" questions. have you seen the news about the "live question" scandal? look it up.
4.the questions that you get on the test are random...you may or may not get those questions. remember that it is absolutely imperative to do well on the first 10 questions. if you miss several in the beginning, you're fucked (i'm serious).
5. practice the writing section and have a real strategy.
9/11/08 10:33 AM
Jack_Burton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My scores are all 7 years old, and I may have to re-take the fucking thing.

It is annoying to me to no end, that even having to Grad degrees, they still want me to re-take it for my PhD. What a fucking waste of my time.

I will need to get this knocked out by Feb of Next year. I think I am just going to pay to take a big time prep class.
9/11/08 11:24 AM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

I just paid 1700 to get set up with the Kaplan class. Im going to review the shit out of the books before I go to class, because I know you have to take a baseline exam when you first go in. Ill be embarrassed as shit if I bomb the baseline test.
9/14/08 8:49 PM
turbotax

don't worry about the baseline test...it doesn't correlate at all with the real test because it is a paper test and not computer. i scored 10 points higher on the paper test than I did on the real thing...but i definitely learned a lot from the class. I had a very hard time with the electronic medium.
11/25/08 3:13 AM
VectorWegaLives

Use strategies from main Princeton Review book.  Do that book, Kaplan 800, and as many problems as possible from official gmat book.  Also, do practice exams.
11/25/08 12:59 PM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

Im taking practice CATs right now and scoring in 6 range... I dont know how I'll take it to 7. The format is really fucked up. As you get more difficult math problems (particularly with geometry), you have to draw the figure on a piece of paper, and that kills around 30 seconds of your time. They should really think about extending your time, considering the old format allowed you to write directly on the written question.
11/25/08 1:49 PM
turbotax

yeah, that's why i think it's more difficult. i def think i could have gotten over 700 if it were paper...maybe close if studied harder on the CAT
1/7/09 10:49 PM
VectorWegaLives

HOLLYWOOD-MO - Im taking practice CATs right now and scoring in 6 range... I dont know how I'll take it to 7. The format is really fucked up. As you get more difficult math problems (particularly with geometry), you have to draw the figure on a piece of paper, and that kills around 30 seconds of your time. They should really think about extending your time, considering the old format allowed you to write directly on the written question.

They don't have a problem with scores being too low though.  I believe scores have continued to rise (as the quality of students has increased).  Time is one of the main components of the test because it can add a lot of pressure because noone wants to leave questions unanswered.
1/8/09 12:45 AM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

Its not so much that the quality of students have increased. Its that students have learned HOW to take the test. If you take the Manhattan/Kaplan courses, you understand how they want you to answer questions.

The GMAT wants you to think in a specific format. Its almost like brainwashing, but in the end it makes sense how they set it up.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.