UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Does anyone have any exsperience

11/5/07 10:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bigbrawler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Nov-07

...... with throwing weapons. Ever hunted with one. If you had the chance would you. I am particularily interested with speaking about speaking with people about exsperiences with throwing wooden clubs spears and tommahawks.
11/8/07 6:16 PM
GrandpaB

Edited: 08-Nov-07 06:21 PM
I have thrown knives, tomahawks, spears (with and without atlatl) and never felt like I had the skill necessary for use in a hunting situation. On the other hand using a stick (approx 1" X 30") and throwing it sidearm is amazingly effective on small game and birds with very little practice. Just make sure you are legal and follow the rule of "you kill it you eat it". Grandpab
11/8/07 9:17 PM
bigbrawler

Edited: 08-Nov-07
This will sound redicolous and probally ubelevable but anyway. The only spears I have used were made out of rebarb in Africa. They had tire innertubing wrapped around it where you would throw it. I would have felt comfortable hunting small game and did. I should clarify I mean rabbits or that size, I speared a large rat with it, but I think I would leave meadium or large game to the real Kenyan hunters. With that being said what the heck is a atlatl? So curious what did you find the hardest to learn and what would you like to use best for self defense or hunting?
11/9/07 9:54 AM
GrandpaB

Edited: 09-Nov-07
An atlatl is a carved stick that is used to give more power to throwing a small spear or "dart". Google it or go to wikipedia for a better description because it is a bit hard to describe. I think for me that learning to throw knives effectively was hardest. I still dont feel like it is (for me) an effective throwing weapon. For a throwing, hunting, weapon I would prefer a stick for the reasons I gave earlier. For a throwing, self defense, weapon I would prefer fist size rocks. Other than for throwing, weapons I would choose for self defense would be those that are not normally recognized as weapons such as a snap swivel key ring, the handle off of a windshield squeegee, a fire extinguisher, etc. Grandpab
11/11/07 4:47 PM
bigbrawler

Edited: 11-Nov-07
One of those doesn't look to hard to make. Have you had any exsperience with that? I can't imagine throwing a knife btw it just seems wierd to me. Oh an btw in my earlier post I meant rebar not rebarb haha.
11/12/07 9:23 PM
GrandpaB

Edited: 12-Nov-07
I never made an atlatl. On a survival training weekend a guy brought several that he had made and I tried that. You can throw a light spear a lot further but I think it would take a lot of practice to be accurate. I also made and tried a sling but never achieved much with that either. I kind of thought you were talking about rebar. Grandpab
11/12/07 10:27 PM
bigbrawler

Edited: 12-Nov-07
I gotta say after practising spear throwing for a couple weeks my arms got pretty dang strong.
11/14/07 9:34 PM
psychoslasher

Edited: 14-Nov-07
I have a Cold Steel Samburu spear and I'm pretty damn good at throwing it. I can hit a paper plate consistantly at 10 yards and under. I have hit a target at 15 yards before but it's tough to throw at that range. A larger target I can hit consistantly a longer ranges. There is a technique to doing it and once you master that, you'll be able to really nail the target pretty well.
11/15/07 3:36 PM
bigbrawler

Edited: 15-Nov-07
I am a canadian 30 yards is like 8ish metres right? Do you think you would feel comfortable hunting with this spear knowing you would have to be 10 metres to hit a vital on a big animal. Or would hunting in groups be your style?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.