UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Masters in Information Systems

11/11/07 11:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Au Jus
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Nov-07

Anyone hold this degree (CIS)?? I was interested in some opinions and thoughts on this degree salary? opportunities?? I currently hold a B.S. and have taken 1 class towards my MBA (yeah, big deal!) but I have a lot of interest in computers and networking
11/26/07 9:07 PM
StephenL
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Nov-07
only way to get best experience in networking is taking cisco network academy classes or boot camps. stephen
11/27/07 7:27 PM
asdf
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Nov-07
Get a real MBA, not some CIS degree. CIS degree is seen as soft.
11/28/07 8:43 AM
StephenL

Edited: 28-Nov-07
yes. i'd go with the mba too. 5 years of networking experience will get you 100k_+, but you'll be stuck doing that. mba's will open more doors. stephen
6/15/08 5:59 PM
Jack_Burton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am working on a MIS w/ a security emphasis. I already have an MBA w/ IT management emphasis.

I could not decide which so I did a dual program.

Just part of my plan to get a PhD though.

Honestly the only hard part of the MBA was the CMBA exam. The MIS so far is hard as fuck.

The MIS can only loosely be called IT in my opinion, much of the subject matter is kind of stupid. I just had to write a 8-12 page paper comparing Neural Network to a genetic algorithm.

Its almost completely bullshit, I dont even think the authors of my text book - Management Information systems for the information age - have any idea what the fuck they are talking about.
6/25/08 10:45 PM
VectorWegaLives

Jack_Burton - Honestly the only hard part of the MBA was the CMBA exam.

You obviously didn't go to a very good program.  Students at top programs don't even know what a CMBA exam is.  I had to google search it myself.
1/3/09 10:31 AM
Jack_Burton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VectorWegaLives - 
Jack_Burton - Honestly the only hard part of the MBA was the CMBA exam.

You obviously didn't go to a very good program.  Students at top programs don't even know what a CMBA exam is.  I had to google search it myself.

I'll have to tell the three guys who I compared scores with after taking the CMBA exam that.

One of them went to Yale, and just became the new Colorado senator as of this morning. he talked me into taking at when I worked with him.

The other went to Harvard in 2000, and took it a couple years after he graduated.

The third went to UT Austin. UT Austin is top 20 (I think?), and they have tons of people take the exam.

CU is not exactly a top program, but then again I dont give fuck about "top" programs. I think they are a waste of money. The same guy above went to harvard said some of the dumbest fucking people he has ever met were in the program. It is mostly about money and connections - not about brilliant academic work.

The truly interesting thing about the CBMA, and the reason top schools are wary about it - it is a really easy way to compare relative knowledge. There are been numerous cases of people from bad states schools blowing away the score of people from Ivy League schools. I mean completely crushing them - 15% better score in some cases.

No one from the schools wants to see someone with a $30K education completely blow away someone with a $230K education. It happens all the time though.

This "top" program thing has become a crutch.

I digress.

UT Austin has a library science program that is really good.
1/3/09 11:06 PM
El Maquina

Tell me more about these library sciences.
1/4/09 4:58 PM
El Maquina

Thanks Peixes, I'll check it out.
1/7/09 10:44 PM
VectorWegaLives

Jack_Burton -  I dont give fuck about "top" programs. I think they are a waste of money.

I digress.

As do I.

Rank Business School Applicants
Accepted
Median Total
Pay Package
1 Harvard 15% $130,000
2 Stanford 10% $130,000
3 U. of Pennsylvania (Wharton) 19% $145,000
4 M.I.T. 20% $113,500
5 Northwestern (Kellogg) 24% $133,000
6 Chicago NA $136,000
7 Dartmouth (Tuck) 20% $109,000
8 UC Berkeley (Haas) 17% $118,000
9 Columbia 17% $144,000
10 NYU (Stern) 20% $128,000
11 Michigan (Ross) 28% $104,000
12 Duke (Fuqua) 37% $114,000
13 Virginia (Darden) 41% $121,000
14 Cornell (Johnson) 36% $117,000
15 Yale 22% $115,000
1/8/09 4:47 PM
Ozzimandias
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

asdf - Get a real MBA, not some CIS degree. CIS degree is seen as soft.
I am not sure I agree with you.  Not all degrees are alike.  I would check out the program and the classes offered.

I received my MIS degree from Stevens Tech in Hoboken NJ.  They have one of the top IT management programs in the country.  The program director Jerry Luftman was the CIO of IBM and is part of their advanced business institute.  His methodologies for aligning business and IT are being used by all the top companies.

I work in network operations for one of the largest companies in the world and I manage 16 people.  My senior managers did not see my degree as "soft".

My girlfriend just received her MBA from the University of Dallas and her classes were much easier than mine.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.