UnderGround Forums

NHLGround >> All-Time All-World All-Star Team?

11/13/07 7:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PR
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Nov-07 07:31 PM

Link to story Let's go 4 forward lines, 3 sets of D, and 2 goalies. 18 skaters, 2 tenders. Try to keep guys in their proper positions... so no Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr first lines. There's a huge lack of left wingers, so I can see more centers in the line-up. Who's on your team? Here's mine. I also played around with line combos to try and get some chemistry and a "better" overall team. I.E. a good mix of scorers, grinders, power forwards, passers, checkers.
Bobby Hull Wayne Gretzky Gordie Howe
Phil Esposito Mario Lemieux Mike Bossy
Frank Mahovlich Jean Beliveau Guy Lafleur
Ted Lindsay Mark Messier Maurice Richard
Bobby Orr Ray Bourque
Eddie Shore Paul Coffey
Niklas Lidstrom Denis Potvin
Patrick Roy
Vladislav Tretiak
Goalies are tough. As is evaluating the Russian stars like Larionov, Kharlamov, etc.
11/14/07 8:33 AM
Mark1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Nov-07
You gotta be kidding. An All-world team that only includes one russian? tf? Watching the 80s russian Olympic teams, you can see that they are miles ahead of any other national team. Mark
11/15/07 7:03 PM
PR
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Nov-07
Well, gimme your All World team.
11/16/07 12:37 PM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Nov-07
Some wingers switched at times so off the top of my head (all in their prime btw): Kharlamov Gretzky Howe Krutov Larionov Makarov M.Richard M.Lemieux P.Stasny Neely Messier Bure D: Orr Fetisov Borque Potvin Stevens Lidstrom G: Tretiak Sawchuck
11/21/07 11:10 PM
MrColdCock
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Nov-07 11:15 PM
Kurri Gretzky Howe M Richard Lemieux Lafleur Jagr Forsberg Bossy Messier Larionov Kharlamov Orr Bourque Potvin Fetisov Lidstrom Stevens Hasek Sawchuk
11/22/07 11:57 PM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Nov-07
Ron Francis, Steve Yzerman & Paul Coffey would be alternates for my team.
11/24/07 11:50 AM
Mark1

Edited: 24-Nov-07
Spanky, I think Yzerman has too much class to get involved with the likes of you. Good day to you, SIR. Mark
11/25/07 3:34 PM
PTA
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Nov-07
any all world team that doesnt include hasek is seriously flawed. tretiak is a nice name to throw out there, but who knows how good he really was. hasek proved it from day 1 in the nhl. 2.22 GAA, 92.2 SV% & 76 shutouts in 705 NHL Games and not all the teams he played on were that great
11/25/07 3:46 PM
PR

Edited: 25-Nov-07
"tretiak is a nice name to throw out there, but who knows how good he really was." lol, hockey noob.
11/26/07 2:42 AM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 26-Nov-07
THE Mark1 is correct. PTA: While Hasek may not have played on some great teams, he certainly played the majority of his career under defense-first systems in a low scoring period of the league. Hasek is probably top 5 but after Sawchuck, Tretiak, Hall and Roy, maybe Brodeur too. Tretiak cannot be doubted. 3 Olympic Gold Medals, 1 Silver (which he was pulled in the 1st period inexplicably by Tikhonov & lost to the US) 10 IIHF World Championships 1st all-star in the Soviet League 14 years consecutively from 1971-1984 13 league titles with the Red Army team First non-North American player inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. He proved himself against the best in the world. He also was the goalie coach for a certain Mr Dominic Hasek in Chicago.
11/26/07 3:52 AM
PR

Wow, Spanky just owned PTA so hard that PTA's grandkids will belong to Spanky.
11/26/07 10:46 AM
PTA
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"lol, hockey noob. " hardly a hockey noob, but sorry to disagree with the common ideas. there isn't any doubt that tretiak was a great goalie, but considering the team that he played for and the vast majority of the competition that he faced - i have a hard time putting him up there with goalies like hasek, roy, sawchuck, hall, etc, who did it year after year against the best competition in the world. is it his fault that he didnt play in the nhl? no, but it doesnt change the fact that we never really got a chance to see what he was year after year. he was clearly a great goalie, but he was also playing for the best team outside of the nhl.
11/26/07 7:55 PM
Spankenstyne

PTA back when Sawchuck & Hall played they were playing against the best North American players, not necessarily the best players in the world. The best "World" players weren't playing in the NHL. It can be argued that some of the best players were playing on those Russian teams in the 70's & 80's. The best in the world were definitely playing in the IIHF World Championships and often the Olympics, which is where Tretiak faced all and kicked serious ass. There's a reason Tretiak is considered the greatest Russian hockey player ever, it's because he really was that good.
11/26/07 9:37 PM
MrColdCock
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I compare Tretiak to Grant Fuhr. Both seem like wild cards. Always won, generally let in a lot of goals and always played on the best teams. Fuhr may have been the best goalie of the '80s but fricken Don Beaupre probably would have put up the same numbers and won just as many games. Same thing with Tretiak on the CCCP teams. Really hard to figure out where to rank them on the all time lists. Hasek owns Roy any day of the week.
11/27/07 3:45 AM
PR

Edited: 27-Nov-07
"Hasek owns Roy any day of the week." L. O. fucking L.
11/27/07 12:15 PM
PTA

"PTA back when Sawchuck & Hall played they were playing against the best North American players, not necessarily the best players in the world. The best "World" players weren't playing in the NHL. " i agree with you - trying to make judgements on who was the best before the 1990s is difficult - too many players were shrouded in mystery b/c they didn't play consistently against the same competition. that being said - the NHL of those days is probably a better barometer than the russian/euro leagues.
11/27/07 1:39 PM
MrColdCock

""Hasek owns Roy any day of the week." L. O. fucking L. " Roy, 0 Hart trophys, 3 Vezina Hasek 2 Hart trophys, 6 Vezina Was Roy ever the starting goalie in a world tournament? I don't remember him playing any significant role. Maybe in 96 when Canada lost?? If Hasek was Canadian, there is no doubt he would have been Canada's starting goalie from 94-2002.
11/27/07 8:40 PM
Spankenstyne

PTA, you are probably right re:"the NHL of those days is probably a better barometer than the russian/euro leagues." I think his International record vs the best in the world though shouldn't be ignored either though MrCold. He played with some great players and also against some of the greatest ever. Some examples: Septemer 2, 1972: The first of eight games in the Summit Series between Team Canada and Soviet Union. A totally unknown Tretiak stuns Canada as a nation: 7-3. December 31, 1975: "The New Year's Classic", is also described by many as the best hockey game ever played between two club teams. Tretiak's CSKA Moscow played a 3-3 tie against the Montreal Canadiens and Vladislav stopped 35 out Montreal's 38 shots. "An unbelievable game", says Tretiak. "I still have the picture of me with Yvon Cournoyer and Pete Mahovlich by my side, we were selected as the stars of the game." "September 13, 1981: Team Canada is all over Tretiak in the one-game Canada Cup final, but the hot goalie makes the home team lose all composure. Soviets win their only Canada Cup title by romping Canada 8-1." The most incredible thing of all is that he was only 20 when they played the Summit Series in 72, and was forced to retire at only 32 in his prime because the Russians wouldn't let him go to play in Montreal.
11/27/07 9:05 PM
Spankenstyne

Also he had a string of 45 consecutive world championship games where he went undefeated. He had a 1.33 GAA in the 81' Canada Cup over the 6 games. Back in 81' keep in mind. It can be argued who is the best ever, but to doubt that Tretiak's name belongs in the argument is silly imo.
11/27/07 9:08 PM
MrColdCock

Actually my comment about how Hasek would have been Canada's starting goalie has kind of opened my eyes. Tretiak was the man in Russia (a hockey powerhouse) and the number 1 goalie there for 10+ years. Hasek on a weaker czech team is the only other guy I can think of who can say that about representing their nation. Has to say something about Tretiak's skill.
11/29/07 8:11 PM
R-Mon

Edited: 29-Nov-07
"...and was forced to retire at only 32 in his prime because the Russians wouldn't let him go to play in Montreal." Montreal would have easily had 28 Stanley Cups if had come over
12/15/07 11:09 PM
Crazyhook

Edited: 15-Dec-07
Bobby Hull Wayne Gretzky Gordie Howe GUY Lafleur Mario Lemieux Mike Bossy Rick Tocchet Bob Clarke Cam Neely Tony Twist BoB Probert John Kordic Bobby Orr Ray Bourque Niklas Lidstrom Paul Coffey Al Macinnis Denis Potvin Martin Brodeur Ron Hextall
1/2/08 2:42 PM
Elgramo

Edited: 02-Jan-08
Gretzky Howe Yzerman Orr Lidstrom Sawchuk
5/6/08 4:02 AM
Ze Dano
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crazyhook I like the way you "balanced" your team with some tough guys, but Rick Tochett and John Kordic? John Ferguson maybe...

I don't see Joe Sakic on anyones list...he rightfully belongs on the squad

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.