UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Lots of ricer test drives!

12/7/07 8:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Dec-07

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I had to go car shopping for my wife. We were looking for a good commuter that wasn't totally bare bones. So we drove a good portion of that class of cars and here is what we found: Honda accord coupe V6: Very smooth, good engine and tranny. We did the stick and the auto. Power delivery wasn't very responsive but the power is there. This isn't a sports car. The most creature comforts. The features are on par with an entry level german ride. Heated seats, leather, power everything, optional navi, etc... I liked this car but for some reason the asking prices on hondas from the dealership or private party are way high. 19k for a 3 year old car with dents and dings? Uhhhh..... next. Acura RSX: We drove an auto with ricey exhaust and the S model with a stick and better engine. This car pretty much feels like a civic with slightly better suspension and more grunt. It was cramped, almost claustrophobic. Creature comforts were minimal. It had decent power and felt nimble but had a little bit of FWD torque steer that was annoying. Both of us liked the stick and extra power of the type s but didn't like the road noise and cramped quarters, or again the price. We also felt with all the ricers in vegas it would attract unwanted bacon. '08 altima coupe: I have another thread up about this car. I was really impressed with the way it drove, handled and looked. Not practical for our purposes but if the reliability is there long term this is a very nice car. Finally, the car we ended up buying, the scion Tc: I had done no research at all on this car. In fact I didn't know it existed. I thought scion just had those goofy boxes. A quick overview. These cars are toyota's attempt to get a younger crowd in entry level cars. They have a whole line of ricer products you can throw on right from the dealership including a retarded expensive supercharger. But if you look at the base model you might be suprised. It is the camry motor in a fairly classy looking body. It comes standard with 17" alloy wheels, power sunroof and rear moonroof, power windows with 1 touch up/down. The stock stereo is fairly decent with its #1 feature IMO being built in ipod port and aux port for other MP3 players. The ipod playlists can be controlled from the stereo and there are steering wheel controls as well. The car really comes with a lot for the money. They do a no haggle thing, it is just 17k period. Warranty is a standard 3 yr BtB and 5 yr powertrain. It is also a hatchback which is great for my mountain biking needs and grocery shopping. Which are about the only times I'll ever drive a car. ;) Cons are not so impressive brakes, definately not sports car acceleration and the suspension could be a little firmer. But it has reasonable power (160 hp) which is delivered smoothly. Road noise is pretty minimal for a car this cheap and gas mileage is pretty impressive. At the halfway mark on the fuel tank we got 200 miles which means it should get around 27 mpg in the city. All in all a lot of car for the $$.
12/10/07 1:42 AM
jacketwrestler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Dec-07
I just have to LOL at this. For someone throwing around the term 'ricer' frequently, you get the 'riciest' car out of all your choices. I do agree, you get alot for the $$.
12/12/07 3:20 AM
sourcheese
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Dec-07
missed the nissan post. I would of bought an altima sedan over that car. but I guess its all about what you want.
12/12/07 6:02 PM
LittleJoeMama
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep us updated on your MPG. I'm thinking about getting an economy car to offset my Gas Hog 4X4.
12/12/07 6:50 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"missed the nissan post. I would of bought an altima sedan over that car. but I guess its all about what you want." The altima was very smooth, CVT was impressive, more power and had that cool speed sensitive steering. It drove better, no question. But it was impossible to get a mountain bike into and my wife said she absolutely refused to get a roof rack. Also the fairly bare bones altima was 21k and the Scion 17k with lots more goodies. As this is a commuter that she'll use till we have kids (then it'll be my mountain bike transport) and after that it might see 2k miles a year if its lucky it wasn't a hard choice.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.