UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Rate Sciences- difficulty/ employ

2/26/08 8:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BMHavu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Feb-08
Mind telling me what you go to school for where you need to take both quantum mechanics and upper level chemistry? As I said, I don't really give a shit about either as I never have any use for them. Therefore I have not spent my time studying them, as structural analysis is a bit more of a pressing issue for a civil engineer. I'm impressed if you are taking quantum mechanics and upper level chem though, I'll leave the argument about math in sciences to you, as you have obviously progressed further into the sciences than myself.
2/27/08 6:06 PM
dracovich

Edited: 27-Feb-08 06:11 PM
"That being said, theres not really a huge correlation between mathematics and science in general." My quantum optics homework disagrees with you :( Wish it didn't though. I got my bachelors in physics and these were the required courses, in the order taken: Newtonian physics I
Calculus
Linear Algebra
Newtonian physics II and Special relativity
Thermal physics (basically statistical physics light)
Mathematics for physicists (vector calculus mostly)
Electrodynamics I
Physics elective (bio/astro/geo-physics)
Classical mechanics (hamiltonian etc)
Quantum Mechanics I
Electrodynamics II and Waves
Statistical Physics
Optics
Quantum Mechanics II
Introduction to atomic physics
Scientific theory and ethics (yuck)
This was for a "pure" physics degree, 3 (classical mechanics, optics and intro to atoms) would be switched out with another "Line" if i had chosen that (bio,astro or geo-physics I,II and III). Bachelor project (workload equivilant to two courses)
This was the course-load for 2 years (bachelor takes 3), the last year is 100% optional, you could study philosophy if you wanted and still get a degree in physics. But most people either stick to physics courses or branch into other stuff (take chem or compsci courses etc)
2/28/08 10:38 AM
Ted Bennett
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Feb-08

Maybe you mean 'physics 101 and 102 are easier than chem 101 and 102'. That might be true.

Not in my undergrad program - all the chemistry profs and TA's spoke English, most of the physics profs and damn near all the TA's spoke English (and I use the word "spoke" charitably) as a brand new second language :-P

2/28/08 12:51 PM
BMHavu

^Really, exactly the opposite here.
2/28/08 1:09 PM
Ted Bennett
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmmm, go figure.....
2/28/08 3:50 PM
dracovich

As far as employability? It really depends on the person a lot, people with a strong mathematical background, like people in sciences tend to do, can usually get a lot of good jobs. I know for example the investment banks back home (in Iceland) are hiring pretty much anyone with a scientific background, with a preference for math and physics (in that order). Personally i just picked a subject i thought was interesting and figured that would be my best strategy to not drop out :)
2/29/08 1:46 PM
P.V.Jena

Edited: 29-Feb-08
I personally found Physics the easiest subject because of how thinking very hard about the fundamentals and understanding them made almost every undergrad question very easy to solve. But too many of the freshman/sophomores I TA are used to remembering things, plugging in numbers, multiple choice questions so the actual think and understand part required in Physics seems the hardest to them. There's a reason why ~20% of my lab students will finish in 30 minutes and the rest take 2 hours.
3/6/08 1:00 AM
rls99

Edited: 06-Mar-08
I found first year physics, chem and bio all pretty easy. Organic chem was okay. Did some of my own reading into quantum and I thought it sucked. As far as bio needing all of the above...yeah, sorta. At any rate, I have not found anything bio oriented (to include physiology, genetics, immuno, etc...) to be very difficult. This includes up through med school. However, despite having a solid basic math background (up through diff eqs, linear algebra, discrete math), I find the upper division physics texts that I've flipped through to suck. I don't want to think about what a graduate degree in quantum optics would be like.
3/6/08 1:12 PM
TUF Noobiest

Edited: 06-Mar-08
"interesting, i know a girl who has an undergrad physics degree and got a job straight out of college working down on wall street, they used her for her math skills and trained her to do some financial modeling stuff, she did that for 3 years, made a ton of money, then spent a year in africa working for an ngo teaching women condom use and family planning, now she's in harvard business school " Women that can do any kind of math get seriously hooked up. Lots of employers either want to hire someone nice to look at or at least who adds to their 'diversity'. I know tons of slightly above average female students that got hooked up and lots of well above average dudes that are toiling in obscurity.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.