UnderGround Forums

MLBGround >> Astros land Tejada.......

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

12/12/07 1:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Cousin Eddie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Dec-07

....and I can't decide what to think about it. On one hand, Houston gave up some spare parts (Matt Albers, Luke Scott, Mike Constanzo) that weren't likely to contribute much anyways. I'm not wild that they gave up Troy Patton, I think he would have had a very bright future. Unless Miggy is willing to play 3B (he apparently has said in the past that he is not), this puts Adam Everett out of a job. Everett happens to be the best defensive SS in the game, and Tejada is below average. On the other hand, Everett is almost an automatic out, and even though Tejada's numbers are declining the last few years, he's still a HUGE upgrade offensively at SS. If he hits 6th behind Pence, Berkman, and Lee, he'll drive in 100 runs. As a longtime Astros fan, this is a guy they've tried to get for 3 years, and I'm trying to make myself like this trade. On the plus side, even though they gave up Patton, 2 years ago it would have taken Oswalt and Lidge. On the other hand, I've thought for a while that if names are named in the Mitchell report, due out tomorrow, that Tejada would be one of those names. I guess if they can convince him to move to third, I love this trade. They would add a nice bat and keep the defense strong up the middle with Everett, Matsui, and Bourn. If he plays short instead of Everett, I like it, but not nearly as much.
12/12/07 5:26 PM
Hawkeyefan

Thanks to the Astros for taking the very overrated Tejada. I'm super glad the Cubs didn't trade for him. Now perhaps the O's can get to more important matters at hand, like trading Roberts to the Cubs.
12/12/07 7:46 PM
Cousin Eddie

"Thanks to the Astros for taking the very overrated Tejada." Come on HEF, you're kidding me, right? You would turn down the chance to pick up a guy who plays everyday (8 straight seasons of 159+ games), has playoff experience, and is a legit run producer (9 straight years of 80+ RBI, 6 of them over 100)? No, he's not the .308/34/131 guy he was, but he's still a nice bat for them to get. Particularly when 4 of the guys they gave up likely wouldn't have contributed much of anything next year.
12/13/07 9:05 AM
Hawkeyefan

Edited: 13-Dec-07
Looking at it from the Cubs perspective, I'd rather have Adam Everett playing the best SS in the league everyday than have Tejada play there even with his offensive production. BTW - Tejada is aging FAST it seems, only played 133 games last year, SLG & OPS was lower than it's been in a long time, is very iffy defensively and makes what? $15 million? Not to mention his name will probably be on the Mitchell Report coming soon. Add that to the fact that I don't really see the Astros as a playoff contender, why trade any young players for a guy like Tejada? Like I said, that's just me.
12/13/07 12:27 PM
Cousin Eddie

"BTW - Tejada is aging FAST it seems, only played 133 games last year" Umm, he gets hit by a pitch, breaks a bone in his wrist, hits the DL and misses 29 games, ending the 5th-longest consecutive game streak in HISTORY, and his durability is suddenly questioned?? You're better than that. "SLG & OPS was lower than it's been in a long time, is very iffy defensively and makes what? $15 million?" Iffy defensively, sure. And yes, his SLG and OPS dropped. Everett's OPS dropped each of the last 3 years, too, and it dropped from .703 to .599.....Tejada's "dropped" below .800 for the first time in 8 years. You're too smart to tell me that hitting in front of Melvin Mora and Nick Markakis is not a far cry from hitting in front of Lance Berkman and Carlos Lee. Tejada, hitting 3rd in front of those two (which is Cecil Cooper's plan apparently), will see a ton of fastballs to hit. He's on for two years at 13 per, which is pricey, but can you name 5 NL shortstops you'd rather have? .300/35/100.........I'm 100% sure.
12/13/07 2:34 PM
psychosphere
395 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Everett has lost even half a step, he is no longer a viable SS. His lack of offense was tolerated to his great play in the field.
12/13/07 2:55 PM
bluedragon

"I'd rather have Adam Everett playing the best SS in the league everyday than have Tejada play there even with his offensive production." Huh? This trade is like all trades in todays era. If the pitching prospects work out well and develop, then the Astros lose. If not, which is more likely the case, then the Astros come away with a steal here. Don't underestimate the fact that he is coming from the AL into the NL, where he will be in a much shittier division and the pitching will be less talented overall then what he was facing in Baltimore.
12/13/07 3:37 PM
shadetree

Now I know why the Orioles got rid of him,lol.
12/14/07 10:35 AM
Hawkeyefan

Edited: 14-Dec-07
Blah...I just hate the Astros & have never been a fan of Tejada. Although that Tejada for Mark Prior rumor would've looked good about now.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.