UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Slug barrel question

12/13/07 12:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Willybone
375 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Dec-07

This might be a dumb question, but can I use regular, non-sabot slugs in a rifled barrel?
I bought a rifled barrel with my 870, and used sabot slugs to go boar hunting. Although it worked very well, I didn't enjoy spending $3/slug for sabots, was shooting at less than 50 yards, and the sabot power was overkill. I'd like to use regular, cheap slugs next time. But, I really liked having iron sights instead of a single bead.
Can I put regular slugs through my rifled barrel without damaging the gun or myself?
2/5/09 2:58 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yes.
2/5/09 2:20 PM
Willybone
375 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I honestly appreciate you digging up this antique and answering it.

2/5/09 4:15 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sure. you'll be fine.  Are you using this for home defense purposes?  I just watched a show that did a mock up demonstration of shotgun shell loads by comparison at the Gunsite firing range.

They had a gypsum wall with 1/2 board on each side, about 15 feet behind it they had another wall with the same and 15 feet beyond that wall a third wall. They stood 10 to 15 feet in front of the first wall to begin the test.

They wanted to know how much penetration each load would create.

#7 went thru the first wall completely and died into the face of the second wall.

Buckshot went thru all 3 walls.

The Slug also went thru all 3 walls.

Something to think about if shooting in your home or in a urban enviornment.  I have #6 load in my gun and on my side saddle I have 2 slugs and 3 #00.  I like this setup because if I truly have to use a slug or buckshot, I can load a slug into the tube, eject the shell in the chamber and load the slug.

2/6/09 10:37 AM
Willybone

No, this would be for hunting, either hogs (on a trip) or deer (locally), and for time on the range.
The biggest bummer about sabots was the cost of practice. I'd set up at the range and 15 minutes later I was down $30 in slugs. That really didn't let me practice as much as I wanted to, and I think it showed. I winged my first boar and had to track him down. If I could use regular 50cent slugs, I could practice much longer.
The slug barrel is also better for home, too, because it's 8" shorter than my regular one. I keep target/birdshot loaded for fear of overpenetration (small house/neighborhood), but the sidesaddle idea is excellent. Slip one in, ka-chunk, and you could shoot through almost anything.
2/7/09 5:33 AM
Skpotamus
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only problem you might run into is accuracy issues. I know my rifled barrel wouldn't shoot rifled slugs for crap. 8" groups at 50 yards. I ended up going to a smoothbore to shoot rifled slugs.

Birdshot for HD is a REALLY bad idea IMHO.
http://www.shadonet.com/2008/01/choosing-between-birdshot-buckshot-or-slugs-for-shotgun-home-defense/ It doesn't get the penetration necessary to get to the vital organs. The average penetration in ballistic gelatin (synthetic flesh) for birdshot is 6.5". The FBI minimum handgun requirement for penetration is 12". For comparison, your average .22lr fired from a pistol gets around 10" of penetration.

#4 buckshot would be a good choice for minimum HD loads.
http://www.tacticalshotgun.ca/content_nonsub/gelatin_testing/buck_4_fed/gelatin_buckshot_4.html

As always YMMV.
2/9/09 10:51 AM
Willybone

I know my rifled barrel wouldn't shoot rifled slugs for crap. 8" groups at 50 yards.
Wow. I never would've expected that. I figured it would have the same accuracy as smoothbore at worst.
When the outdoor range opens up, I'll have to test that out.

2/11/09 8:33 PM
Skpotamus
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still have no idea why it was doing that. It was a mossberg 500.
2/14/09 5:29 AM
BIG IRISH
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I reload all my slugs shells, it takes some time, but its less than $1 a shell and if you weigh your power and your slugs, and keep a chart you can experiment with diffrent weights and find what works the best for what you got. the same for all my guns.
2/15/09 3:58 AM
Skpotamus

Big Irish, are you casting your own slugs or buying them?

I had thought about getting a shotgun loader and a Lee slug mold but never got past the thinking stage.
2/15/09 9:16 AM
BIG IRISH

I started casting my own last year. I cast all the soft led I use. It's prudy easy it's just takes some more time, but I live in Iowa, so I got a lot of time:)
2/17/09 2:28 AM
Skpotamus

What mold do you use? What stopped me from getting into casting was the difficulty in getting lead locally. All the fishermen have the tire shops locked up :(
2/18/09 3:11 PM
BIG IRISH

I got all my molds from my grandfather when he pasted away, and all they say on them are the sizes. and you should be able to get led from craft stores, or ne where they sell reload eqt.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.