UnderGround Forums

NHLGround >> chris simon at it again

12/17/07 5:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Steamfitter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Dec-07

league needs to give him another 25 game suspension. Islanders put forward Chris Simon on leave after 'reckless' skate stomp incident SportsTicker Published: Monday, December 17, 2007 Jim McIsaac/Getty Images UNIONDALE, New York -- Chris Simon's future with the New York Islanders could be in jeopardy following another ugly incident. The Islanders placed the veteran left wing on leave Monday -- two days after he received a match penalty for trying to stomp on the foot of Pittsburgh Penguins left Jarkko Ruutu. The Islanders issued a statement, saying they could not defend Simon's actions. "The actions of Chris Simon on Saturday do not reflect what the New York Islanders stand for," Islanders owner Charles Wang said. "They were reckless, potentially dangerous and against our team concept of grit, character and heart." The Islanders did not officially suspend Simon but will provide him with time away from the team. No time table was given for his return. "The Islanders are going to provide some time for Chris away from the team and give him the counseling he needs and the compassion he deserves," Wang added. Simon, 35, also released a statement Monday, apologizing for the incident. "The Islanders and I agree that the right thing to do is for me to take some time away from the team," Simon said. "I acknowledge that time and assistance is needed before I can return to the game." The incident occurred with just under six minutes remaining in Saturday's 3-2 loss to the Penguins. It came two months after Simon finished serving a 25-game suspension for a two-hand stick attack against Ryan Hollweg of the New York Rangers in March. Simon completed the suspension on October 13. He missed the last 15 games of last season, five playoff games and the first five contests of this campaign. Simon is likely facing another suspension from the NHL, which would be the seventh of his career. Despite the incident against Hollweg, the Islanders re-signed Simon to a one-year contract on July 23. He played in 67 games for New York last season, registering 10 goals and 17 assists. "I want to thank the Islanders for providing the environment for me to become a better player and person, our fans for their support along the way," Simon added.
12/17/07 9:37 PM
PR
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kick this fucker out of the league permanently. That shit is dangerous as fuck. He has a big history too, and just came back from the Hollewegg incident. This guy has demonstrated he will use any weapon at his disposal. And that he doesnt learn.
12/17/07 11:07 PM
Steamfitter

Dude has issues.
12/19/07 1:31 AM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Dec-07
It's too bad his career has regressed into this. The guy was once a feared heavyweight who could actually play the game. Sadly one can't even use the excuse of him being a grinder, he's averaged less than one hit every two games this year since he's been back. He needs to get his shit together. I admire the Isles for trying to help the guy but where do you draw the line and cut your ties?
12/19/07 1:15 PM
Mr B Rock
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the nhl has passed him by

12/19/07 5:46 PM
PR
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He got 30 games.
12/19/07 7:22 PM
Steamfitter

He's done for the season.
12/29/07 1:25 PM
snigglefish

Edited: 29-Dec-07
If he is allowed back in they should do pre-game weapons screening on him...maybe pre-shift. Surely with the failure of his skates to mortally wound his opponent he will be carrying a shank or gun when he makes his return.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.