UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Torn Achillies?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

12/19/07 3:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Soup1
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Dec-07

Recently tore my achillies tendon. Had surgery to reconnect. Was wondering if anyone has gone through this and how it went for them. Thanks in advance.
1/1/08 8:54 PM
HELWIG
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Jan-08
Very sorry to hear. How did you manage to do that man? Its one of the worst injuries I can imagine. Best of luck to you.
1/2/08 10:31 AM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Jan-08
I cut mine a year and a half ago. It sucked big time! I was in a boot and on crutches for 6 weeks. Then in the boot only for another 4 weeks as they adjusted the angle to increase the range of motion. After that I was able to limp around without the boot, had to be very careful. I did 4 months of PT, 3 times a week... and was still limping around pretty bad. It helped a lot, but it takes time. At about 9 months I found a Chiro who did ART/Graston. After onlt 12 treatments I was able to walk and run painfree. I started rolling very light as soon as I got the boot off. Watch your diet. I went from 225lbs to 255lbs from the inactivity. After I was able to run again I dropped down to 200lbs in 4 months. :) What you need to do... Get some fish oil and take it everyday, it reduces the inflamation and helps you heal faster. Ice the hell out of it when ever it gets inflammed. Don't get addicted to the pain meds. lol Don't get too fat :) Do all of your PT and talk to a chiro who does ART/Graston.
1/2/08 10:32 AM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is what mine looked like...
1/2/08 1:01 PM
HELWIG

The weight gain and pain med addiction are the two things I agree you need to keep in check.
1/2/08 2:00 PM
Soup1
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks guys. I'm in my first week in the boot. Dr. said I'll have that for at least 4 weeks. I've already kicked the pain meds - unless it gets more painful starting PT. Which happens to start this Friday. All I know is that this injury sucks. Ryukyu, are you back or close to 100%? Do you have any issues with it now? I'm dying to start rolling. I see you started right after kicking the boot. Was that very light rolling? Did you feel overly conscious of your injury? Thanks for taking the time to respond. I haven't found anyone i know that has had this injury. I've been a brown belt for over 2 years and was looking forward to may black. Now it looks like it's going to be a lot longer than expected. - SUCKS
1/2/08 2:11 PM
Ryukyu Damashi

Edited: 02-Jan-08 02:22 PM
I am like 99.9% :) I went to Thailand and trained twice a day for month this past summer. I felt no pain at all in the achillies. It is still pretty thick, but it seems stronger than the good side. I was able to run 4 miles twice a day and skipped rope for 30 minutes after with no problems. I started rolling with little people (100lb chick) and was very careful to keep my foot pointed and drive off my knees. Bottom game is easier, you just have to make sure your foot doesn't get stuck in the gi...and no spider guard with that foot. I learned to use my knees in the guard much better. :) The boot sucked. I couldn't sleep with it on, it felt like I was getting heel hooked everytime I would turn over. What I did is wrap my foot in a gel ice pack and a huge ace bandage when I slept. Also, when you start pt and limping around on it, don't be scared if you feel it pop and burn every once in a while. It is the scar tissue ripping loose and is kinda a good thing. You can full recover, it just takes like 9 months to a year. Feel free to email me matthewjnielsen @ hotmail . com (remove spaces)
2/28/08 10:18 AM
Ryukyu Damashi

Edited: 28-Feb-08
How is your recovery going?
2/29/08 11:22 PM
HELWIG

Edited: 29-Feb-08
How did you guys tear yours?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.