UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> The concept of flow.

12/23/07 6:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kai Tremeche
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Dec-07

Hey SBG guys. Are any of you familiar with the work of Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi? His theory on the ideas of happiness, optimal experience and finding your bliss seems to very much relate to the overarching benefits of Aliveness. Additionally, the concept of challenge and progression of challenge and how it relates to enjoyment of a situation. He also speaks a lot about 'being in the zone'. For example: Csikszentmihalyi described flow as "being completely involved in an activity for its own sake. The ego falls away. Time flies. Every action, movement, and thought follows inevitably from the previous one, like playing jazz. Your whole being is involved, and you're using your skills to the utmost." I was introduced to his work via an education class that I exposed to this last year and after reading the latest revised aliveness 101 page on the SBG site, I found it interesting that the words were being echo'd back to me.
12/23/07 10:55 PM
Matt Thornton
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Dec-07

Hi Kai, yes I have read some Csikszentmihalyi and have a few of his books in my library. If you enjoy his stuff I'd highly reccomend anything by the late Joseph Campbell, who is most known for the "Follow your bliss" guideline he gave all his graduate students. As well as anything by Alan Watts, who said pretty much everything there was to say, and did it with great humour. Both authors were extremely clever, and surely served as inspiration for Csikszentmihalyi.

It has been Watts, Campbell, Leary, Whitman and Krishnamurti who have had the biggest influence on me over the Years.

www.straightblastgym.com

12/23/07 11:01 PM
Kai Tremeche

Edited: 24-Dec-07 12:34 PM
Matt: Awesome, thanks for the answer. I was doing some research on Campbell and I was suddenly reminded of the concept of flow and the optimal experience and the readings I did in the Book Flow. It was also incredible that when those in my class were relating their optimal experiences, most of those who had one, had one in sports. Of those few who had that experience (or at least a moment of it) had in it music or acting. Again, the art really seems to be in the performance. Happy Holidays to you and yours and thank you for the answer. BTW: I had to use cut and paste for the name Csikszentmihalyi, and even my professor didn't say his name very much in class.
12/24/07 4:27 AM
Matt Thornton
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Dec-07

No worries, have  a great holiday Kai.

www.straightblastgym.com

5/12/08 4:06 PM
bee rad

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.