UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Wrestlers and Catch Wrestling

6/7/10 5:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
de braco
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi Scuffler, hope your healthy and all is well. My film was a bust, it was Gotch & Zybysco, with about 2 non consecutive seconds usable outa the whole flippin reel.. Not what i was hoping for. Oh well, tomorrow is another day. The Cecchine guys are in take  no prisoner mode in their little dust up with Jake the snake. I remember all the fun we used to have on the original catch board that cechinne had here and the explosion on the history board. NO KNEES ON THE MATT BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. Good times, good times. You are without a doubt one of the most honest and mature posters on the board, you'll have to stick around so it offsets some of my shenanigens.

6/7/10 6:17 PM
scuffler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks man. My health is holding pretty steady, still having a lot of problems but for the most part nothing has deteriorated too much. Took my antiques business in a different direction, making a little better money now but I'm working crazy hours at times. Had to quit the radio station to be able to make a real go of it with the antiques.

Hate to hear about the tape. I had high hopes. Not as high as you I'm sure :)

I really haven't got a clue as to what has been happening in the never ending internet catch wars. Thank God I pulled myself completely out of that, both in participation and in givin' a damn. Sounds like from reading this thread that the Carpentier claims blew up. That didn't sound right to me from the start. Of course I'm afraid a lot of the things I hear about and from the catch community don't sound right.

I wish people would just train and preferably compete to prove that they ain't wastin' their time. The two schools that are run by my former students are still going strong and still highly active and successful on the local and regional levels. The guys don't claim any connection to catch and won't even mention the catch influence unless asked directly. It's a shame that the bullshit that comes up at the mention of the style makes that the best way to go.
6/7/10 7:19 PM
de braco
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad to hear your doing good and the antique business is solid. I been thinking of going into the antique business myself. Since the real estate collapse i been living on poke salad and branch water. I know i took ENTIRELY to much pleasure in the Carpentier debacle. The downside was Carpentier being dragged thru the mud, Always heard he was a good guy. How Kris Isavitch could try to pull off such obvious bs considering what happened last time is beyond me. The two Jakes have been eerily silent on here about the whole thing. LOL.  Did you see the Gotch collection the archvillain mr4wrestle had on ebay?
6/7/10 7:34 PM
scuffler

No, that must have slipped by me (the Gotch collection). Who is mr4wrestle? lol

What I don't understand is why everybody thinks they have to have some great mentor in their past? To me it's more impressive to be self taught, good, and willing to compete to prove it. Looks like most don't see it that way though.

Making a go of it full time in antiques has been the hardest thing I've ever done, and the most fun at the same time. The market has been taking crazy wild swings the last year or two. It hard to predict anything anymore, but I still do pretty well most of the time. I'm actually having pretty good luck at outdoor flea-markets and online. The auctions are dead though. (around here)
6/7/10 7:55 PM
de braco

It was awesome, programs from the two gotch-hack matches and a whole bunch of other signed stuff. Only wanted 28k.  ; (     4wrestle is the ripper,the tearer, the bringer of sorrow. Fucked me outa hundreds of auctions on ebay circa 99-2000ish. Bastard musta had dsl, I would be winning right up to the last minute,then BAM! he did it again and my dial up was to slow to rebid in time.
6/7/10 8:32 PM
scuffler

Could be using a sniping service?

I watch the end of some of my own auctions and can tell that there are quite a few people that seem to be using them.
6/7/10 9:47 PM
Philanderer
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have no idea if this has been covered as I am not going to bother going through the other pages, but scuffler, you did one of the best jobs discrediting Tony Cecchine by simply stating facts about moves on LAOH that were on on other video sets that were released before LAOH. One of them was something like 7 leglocks in a row that were the exact same on a sambo tape. I think you could have closed things up if you had simply made a clear statement that presented your findings that others could simply refer to, like Bill C did with his ICWA statement.

It just had a logic to it, unlike jake's "crisis of catch wrestling" which was written like a soap opera expecting people to "tune in tomorrow"

Great to hear that your team (ironlock?) is doing well in competition. Thats what will bring credability to catch wrestling, not cheerleaders like Jeff the housewife Goldstein who will constantly post on line but never compete publicly and show the effectiveness of what he supposedly learned.
6/7/10 10:12 PM
PoundforPound
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm glad your health is doing good, Scuffler. It's been so long since I've seen you around that I don't remember if I ever thanked you for sending me that tape you did....if not, then a million thank yous.

We were on opposite sides of arguments sometimes because I came to different conclusions on Tony C. than you did. But through it all I consider you a good guy and I was glad to have known you as even an "internet friend."

Friends don't have to agree on everything.
6/7/10 11:11 PM
de braco

Philanderer - Thats what will bring credability to catch wrestling, not cheerleaders like Jeff the housewife Goldstein who will constantly post on line but never compete publicly and show the effectiveness of what he supposedly learned.

OUCH!
6/7/10 11:34 PM
scuffler

Thanks guys, and P4P you are of course more than welcome.
6/7/10 11:58 PM
de braco

scuffler - Could be using a sniping service?

I watch the end of some of my own auctions and can tell that there are quite a few people that seem to be using them.

Was there this service 10 years ago?  Back then my phone service was practically green acres,with the lines still above ground and whatnot. 28k was the starting bid for the gotch stuff.. Can you believe that?
6/8/10 12:09 AM
scuffler

Edited: 06/08/10 12:09 AM
LOL

I remember Jason Couch saying years ago that he was using a sniping service. That was back at the early days of the history forum.

So, you don't have to climb the pole to make a call anymore?

I can remember us having a party line when I was a kid. A Mrs. Fowler was always on the line when you would pick the phone up. Mrs. Fowler is still alive! I think she is either 100 or 101 now! Probably still on the phone too.

28k would pay off every debt I have, house included, and then some. That must have been a heck of a collection.
6/8/10 12:19 AM
de braco

Edited: 06/08/10 12:35 AM
 Man i wish i would have known about that sniping deal.

No more having the phone up there on the pole.lol
Last year the lines were finally buried so it's better. Maybe someday the cable company will come out this way and i can get highspeed.

The Gotch collection was truly amazing.
edit to add auction description 

'Collection consists of a 3 ft X 4 ft oil painting of Gotch, Hackenschmidt and Ed Smith. An original poster from the second Gotch vs Hackenschmidt bout with a hand written and signed message on the back by Americus. A signed postcard of Frank Gotch. A small promotional handout for Gotch vs Zbyszko. Three rare photos of Gotch, two with Gotch & family in the Gotch home. An area rug from the Frank Gotch home. A program from the second Gotch vs Hackenschmidt bout. A program from the Sells-Floto circus featuring Frank Gotch inside. A large framed panoramic photo depicting Wrigley Field and the second  Gotch vs Hackenschmidt bout.'   
6/8/10 1:19 PM
Victor Parlati

"I got involved in the martial arts sometime like 34 years ago, I now believe the whole thing has been a work ;)" (scuffler)

***THAT'S pretty funny, LOL. Anyway, glad to hear you're doing well, and good luck with the antique business and stuff.

You know I've always supported Tony Cecchine in the past, but I've got to say that I'm disappointed in his stance in recent years that if it's not his "American" catch - then it's probably a show hold.

Come on, Tony...what's that ???!!! What Billy Robinson taught to guys like Kazushi Sakuraba and Josh Barnett were show holds? Please...

But anyway, like you and some other guys have said on this thread, scuffler...catch guys just need to calm down and win some competitions.

And I like Kris' stuff posted on youtube; but again, false claims can really come back to bite you in the ass. And so unnecessary - since those Quebec guys clearly have skills.

As for my old friend Jake Shannon, he's still doing a real good job of promoting catch vids and things....but man, he needs to learn when to just relax also. LOFL

And ditto for Jeff Goldstein.

And sorry to hear about the Gotch/Zybysko film, de braco.

6/8/10 2:51 PM
de braco

I got the film at a estate auction. The only thing it said was "gotch' on the side of the container. Was hoping for gotch-hack. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.
6/18/10 12:19 AM
de braco

6/18/10 12:27 AM
de braco

6/18/10 12:32 AM
de braco

6/18/10 9:58 AM
de braco

Edited: 06/18/10 10:01 AM
6/18/10 1:09 PM
scuffler

Cool Stuff!
6/27/10 12:18 PM
de braco

World heavyweight boxing champion Jack Johnson gets pinned at 3.40.
 From Lou Thesz forum
6/27/10 3:05 PM
Jeff Malott
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello All,

Great to see the Scuffler back! 

We need a page made so we could scan our material ( Catch related only guys) for everyone's pleasure...........I have a ton!
6/27/10 11:07 PM
de braco

Edited: 06/27/10 11:12 PM
7/4/10 8:02 AM
scuffler

Jeff Malott -  Hello All,

Great to see the Scuffler back! 

We need a page made so we could scan our material ( Catch related only guys) for everyone's pleasure...........I have a ton!

Thanks Jeff.

It would be nice to have a catch history related forum with some sort of strict rule against even bringing up any of the current politics. Just history and technique allowed. The only chance of it working would be an absolute rule that any hint of a post along those lines would not be allowed. I could see something like that being a lot of fun and informative.
7/5/10 12:01 AM
Victor Parlati

Let's go for it !!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.