UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Wrestlers and Catch Wrestling

3/1/12 9:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Philanderer
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to know about his shoot wrestling, too; but also about other stuff. Did he get messed with outside the ring because of his gimmick? Hogan said he got his car wrecked when he was a heel, and Slaughter said he got death threats because of his "defection" during the first Gulf War.
3/1/12 11:57 PM
PoundforPound
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love to hear who trained him in catch wrestling. Also if he has any workout routines that he wouldn't mind sharing: the man looks in great shape for his age.
3/3/12 10:03 PM
Trip Trainer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok guys talked to Adrian for about an hour and a half today. Not many questions so I will answer those first.

Didn't really have much to say about problems with fans as I ask twice. He did talk about how many times a wrestler would say, "I'm not doing the kiss, of the butt pinch, any thing like that. He would simple say, ok "what are you big moves", let them tell him and say, well we are not doing that tonight, we will just wrestle. (They got kissed and butt pinched, trust me you did NOT want to just wrestle with Adrian).

It was Mike Dimitre who taught him catch, but he also said that working as a pro in Britain during his time, you had no choice but to learn catch or you got torn up in the ring. You might get the win, but in the 50's there was alot of catch trained pro wrestlers. So they would make you look bad if you couldn't hang with them. If you could not take it in a match, you just might not get it.

OK, how he stays in shape, nothing earth shattering here. He works out with weights three times a week, does cardio (treadmill) almost everyday and watches what he eats and has 5-6 small meals a day. Nothing more nothing less. He still has alot of equipment from the wrestling school, so think kick ass home gym. He did say, he did ab work everyday.

Adrian turned pro at 16, so he learned alot of what he knows on the road. He did say he boxed as a pro too. Said he wasn't great at it, but he did fight as a pro.

He talked about Bert Assirati for a long time, said that might have been one of the best athletes and toughest guys in wrestling ever. (more later got work to do)

3/4/12 2:35 AM
scuffler

Edited: 03/04/12 2:35 AM
Thanks!

Sorry I didn't ask before you spoke with him. He came from a mining town and was sort of the local champ, or at least the best there from what I understand, before he ever wrestled pro. Did he talk about that at all and I would assume he had developed some skills there before training with Dimitre?
3/6/12 6:43 PM
skitapout

Where is he living at now? Phone Post
3/6/12 9:44 PM
Trip Trainer

Sorry, I didn't ask him about the mining town fights. I had always heard he fought there. I have heard others talk about him fighting and boxing before he was a wrestler. He did mention that he boxed as well as wrestle. He is in Pensacola FL. When he talked about catch skills, he talked about having to wrestle with alot of pro wrestlers from Wigan, and that it was rough and you had to learn to take it or you were going to get eaten alive. He did say his autobiography is in the works, so I will keep you posted on that.
3/8/12 9:41 PM
Philanderer
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trip Trainer - Ok guys talked to Adrian for about an hour and a half today. Not many questions so I will answer those first.

Didn't really have much to say about problems with fans as I ask twice. He did talk about how many times a wrestler would say, "I'm not doing the kiss, of the butt pinch, any thing like that. He would simple say, ok "what are you big moves", let them tell him and say, well we are not doing that tonight, we will just wrestle. (They got kissed and butt pinched, trust me you did NOT want to just wrestle with Adrian).

thanks for asking!
3/8/12 9:46 PM
PoundforPound
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, thank you for asking him our questions. That was cool of you to do.
3/10/12 9:21 PM
Trip Trainer

Guys really no problem. Brought back alot of great memories for me. I don't watch or follow pro wrestling any more. So it was a great time for me. But really sorry I didn't ask more about catch wrestling, I know that is what this is about.

There is a story I heard, years ago. After Eddie Mansfield went on 20/20 and told the world wrestling was a work, he tried to get back into the business a few years later. He got booked by the Fullers in Alabama. Showed up and saw he was booked to wrestle Street and left. I ask Adrian about that and he did not give a name but said that from time to time a wrestler would be booked against him and not show. (he is not the kind of guy to say anything bad about anyone) I do NOT know for a fact, but do beleive that story was true.

He really talked alot about the difference in British pro wrestling and pro wrestling in the states. I will post about that later, got to get ready for work. (bills come every month) Retired from Pro wrestling, NOT retired!

8/8/12 7:53 PM
de braco
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Necromancy again
8/22/12 8:13 PM
JMurda
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
9/6/12 10:35 PM
Trip Trainer

Just in case you missed it Adrian Streets bio's are out now.

First Book: "My Pink Gas Mask"
Second book: "It only hurts when I laugh"
Third Book: "So many ways to hurt you"
Fourth Book: "Sadist in Sequins"
12/4/12 7:05 PM
de braco
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

interesting

12/4/12 8:45 PM
supersaiyan

good stuff ^^
12/4/12 9:47 PM
ChipW
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^^yeah that's cool Phone Post
12/16/12 6:17 PM
Jorx
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice video. But I hope I never beome the coach that does anything because "That was the way I was taught" or "I don't care what anyone else is doing".

If you want to preserve an art that's fine. But that's a cultural phenomenon. Not related to sports perfomance.
12/19/12 4:22 AM
HULC
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well it's about sports performance in your own sport, not adapting it for use in other sports such as MMA.
12/20/12 5:00 AM
Jorx
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who said anything about MMA. This mentality suboptimal for catch wrestling / submission grappling as a sport.

We have come long ways in terms of sport science.
6/5/13 11:49 PM
de braco

Humorous excerpt from the Steve Yohe biography of Ed Lewis on the Lou Thesz forum.

A little farther along Ed says his hatred of Wladek gave him ulcers. LOL

CHAPTER THREE

BACK IN WISCONSIN
The local Elks Club of Grand Rapids WI, knowing Friedrich?s reputation and hearing he was home, offered him a match with Fred Beell of Marshfield. Fred Beel was one of the greatest pound for pound wrestlers in history and the last man to ever beat Frank Gotch. (6)

The match took place in Grand Rapids WI on Jan. 3, 1911. The young Friedrich couldn?t do anything with Beell, who played with him. After seven and a half minutes, Beell choked him out using what was called a reverse headlock. The second fall saw Beell pin Bob in twenty-two minutes. Friedrich was glad when it was over. Beell gave a speech saying that Bob would one day be champion. Bob received $25 plus a neck with no muscular control for two weeks. (7)

6/9/13 3:51 PM
supersaiyan

ttt
6/10/13 6:05 PM
JBryan

Thank you Gentlemen for this thread.
1/23/14 12:17 AM
de braco

Joe Lansdale has a short story in the Dangerous women anthology titled "wresting,Jesus" about an 80 year old carny shooter battling his arch rival and a hoo doo woman. The George Martin westeros story in it isn't bad either.

1/24/14 2:09 AM
NCar
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I look back at the post I made in 2007 with regret, at that time I was very upset with Jake Shannon being the main figurehead in cacc wrestling. For those of you who don't know Jake used who have the leading forum in catch wrestling, he then decided to close it I think because someone hacked it or there were too many trolls. After that myself and a few other members of this forum requested a catch wrestling sub forum on this Site requesting Jake as a mod. But because too many people here were giving Jake a hard time here he decided to close down the sub forum here and coincidentally at the same time launched his own forum where members had to pay to be a member of. At that time I was a poor college student and bitter, I felt that Jake was in it for the money and seemed a little scum bagish for it. In reality he was the only person bringing the most authentic catch wrestling at the time to the main stream. Jake if you read this, sorry for calling you out when I was naive, still think you shouldn't have ended the sub forum here. That being said, catch wrestling has had a lot of scumbags representing it for the last 20 or so years, it has become more respected and easily found in recent years, guys like Barnett, Melanson, Couture, Billy Robinson etc giving it legit status.
3/3/14 2:30 PM
EKPOGI
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP Billy Robinson
3/3/14 3:32 PM
The Mat Pimp
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WHAAAAT?!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.