UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Wrestlers and Catch Wrestling

9/16/08 6:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
e. kaye
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1-Catch has plenty of bottom game.   YOu juat need to find someone to teach it tio you. 

2-Barnett has been on here and testified that he has never had a single lesson in BJJ in his life.
9/17/08 4:43 PM
workman43113
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree it has bottom game but had you read my post you would have realized that I stated it lacks in bottom game from guard in comparison with bjj
9/17/08 5:31 PM
e. kaye

I would say that the biggest difference is that Catch does not advocate that position.  

There is plenty to do from the guard position in Catch, but the focus is on escaping/reversing as opposed to staying there as a strategy.   However, Catch does have attacks and such from there.
9/18/08 8:47 AM
workman43113
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree
9/18/08 10:52 AM
hiptosser

e. kaye -  1-Catch has plenty of bottom game.   YOu juat need to find someone to teach it tio you. 

2-Barnett has been on here and testified that he has never had a single lesson in BJJ in his life.

-How long has Barnett trained with Paulson?
You cant work with him and not absorb a good amount of BJJ the guy is a black belt and its integral to his game.
Im not bashing catch per say but for some one to have an attitude like "Im a wrestler BJJ is for fags" is just plain stupid
If there was a catch guy around my area I would go and try to learn as much as I can
9/18/08 11:34 AM
e. kaye

Barnett has been on here and stated it.   I can probably find the old thread.
9/18/08 6:39 PM
originalSEAL

Edited: 09/18/08 6:41 PM
True, but Paulson was a catch guy before he took bjj. I don't know if you can say bjj is integral to his game when he was already a top-level grappler/fighter and I think his style reflects that.
9/18/08 7:00 PM
e. kaye

The point is that Barnett has been on here and stated that he is a Catch Wrestler and has never ever taken a BJJ lesson.

Of course he has rolled with BJJ guys, but never has he taken a lesson from one.
9/18/08 9:24 PM
PoundforPound
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

But has Paulson's BJJ influence not leaked over to Barnett?
9/18/08 11:00 PM
e. kaye

According to Barnett, not a wit.
1/1/09 6:50 PM
ReneH

Just had two of my students roll with some BJJ purples, my students a good bjj and have a cacc base.

As far as their rolling with BJJ guys is concerned, they did very well. One of my students has more experience than the other, particularly against BJJ guys. As expected BJJ did the usual pulling open/closed/butterfly guards and my guys just postured and avoided playing into their game, despite the BJJ guys desperate and repeated attempts.

The BJJ guys were surprised that my guys were not playing into their guard and were doing just as Barnett advocates, attacking their guards with all sorts of leg/footlocks. Next thing you know, the BJJ guys stopped pulling guard because they were getting caught with leg attacks.

I suppose the point of all this is that I like BJJ but I do not buy into the inbreeding that happens because people think BJJ is the end all be all of grappling arts.

Let me share a story told to me by a friend of mine who decided to roll with a pro wrestler, he found himself being manhandled by the pro wrestling guy and got put in piledrivers and couldn't do nothing about it. he felt hopless, and thats because he is a solid BJJ guy. Don't count out other grappling arts because they are not mainstreamed and you think yours is the baddest on the planet.
1/2/09 1:38 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/02/09 7:41 PM
 As expected BJJ did the usual pulling open/closed/butterfly guards

Yes because we all know that BJJ guys have no top game at all.. /sarcasm 

Make up your minds boys. You say you want acceptance by the grappling "community" and you want to get rid of negative stereotypes about yourselves, like saying you have no bottom game, but you still have guys who spit out ridiculous nonsense like this.

1/3/09 12:16 PM
ReneH

"Make up your minds boys. You say you want acceptance by the grappling "community" and you want to get rid of negative stereotypes about yourselves, like saying you have no bottom game, but you still have guys who spit out ridiculous nonsense like this."

I wasn't speaking any non-sense.
1/20/09 2:56 PM
Ausgepicht

Barnett has stated it here as well as on his instructional videos.
PoundforPound - But has Paulson's BJJ influence not leaked over to Barnett?
For those proponents of this idea, would it be fair to say the inverse is true about BJJers? In other words, if we follow the logic you are trying to present then that would make every BJJer that Barnett rolled with influenced  by Catch or now part Catch Wrestler.

The point is that Barnett feels that his learning and style has little to do with his interaction with BJJ.

2/14/09 1:17 PM
Tom Lawlor
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just had the pleasure of visiting WNC Combat Club in Asheville,NC this past weekend.

They are a catch-wrestling school, with Johnny Huskey instructing. Coming from a wrestling background, then to BJJ based sub grappling, and then getting to work firsthand with someone who is trained in catch-wrestling I can say that there are many things that catch wrestling has in favor of it compared to BJJ.

Obviously, BJJ is effective...that can't be argued, but some of the finer points that Johnny was able to point out and accentuate just make so much sense for someone with a wrestling base.

Check out www.wnccombatclub.com, I wish my time here in WNC was longer.
2/14/09 2:21 PM
PoundforPound
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/14/09 2:21 PM
Catch is the perfect submission art for someone with a wrestling background. Guys like Ben Askren should take advantage of Billy Robinson while he's still around...they are in the best position to quickly assimilate what he teaches, since they don't have to start from scratch.
2/17/09 1:53 PM
Tom Lawlor
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anyone wanna start up a fund to pay for me to get every catch wrestling certification I can? I mean, I've fought in the UFC that has to count for something.

I'll proudly dedicate myself to the art and do my best to keep it alive in the years to come.

I've been converted!
2/19/09 1:45 AM
wmkelleo

You should call up your boy Roli and train with the legend, Billy Robinson. He is in Little Rock and teaches some catch at Westside for Roli and Matt.
2/19/09 12:40 PM
Tom Lawlor

Good idea, unfortunately Little Rock is little and I am big.
2/20/09 1:43 AM
wmkelleo

I must have forgotten about that. What was I thinking??!?
2/20/09 4:24 PM
Victor Parlati

Get in touch with Tony Cecchine in Chicago, Tom...

His rates are very reasonable and if he likes you he might even find someone to put you up for the nights you spend there at no charge. It's been known to happen before.

www.catchwrestle.com
2/20/09 6:27 PM
PoundforPound

Why would he go to Tony C. when he can go directly to Billy Robinson???
2/21/09 12:01 AM
Victor Parlati

1) Sounded like money is an issue

2) Why not take a shotgun approach to learning catch?

(ie.- get your hands on as many vids/instuctors/seminars as you can.
2/23/09 9:27 PM
AtomicElbow
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My God do you research on tony cecchine before you spend any money on him- there is a reason why people call him a fake and leave him. But hey maybe he won't rip you off like he did the 140 or so members of the ICWA, after all being a UFC fighter he can get some publicity out of you.
2/24/09 10:17 PM
unfilteredmma

I was there with Gotch for a summer when I was in college. To say people didn't like him because he said things how they were was an understatement.
My honest feeling is that catch is an unevolved art. It is stuck 100 years ago when athletes were strong from doing farm work. Today athletes are not as strong in that sense. They are quicker, can jump higher, and trained for flexibility.
Don't get me wrong though. There is still a lot to learn from it. but, even if you look at amateur wrestling it has evolved so much from that time. The pace is quicker and so are the athletes.
You can't take catch and throw in wrestling. You have to take wrestling and throw in catch... Does that make sense?
Wrestling is already out there. If you bring in the catch submissions that is better than trying to learn a complete new system.
And, as it is... Catch can be marketed as the unstopable ancient art. It is unstoppable and if you doubt that you should get a time machine and go find Gotch...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.