UnderGround Forums

Football Ground >> R.I.P. Phil O'Donnell

12/29/07 5:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
grizz632
671 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Dec-07

Sad news from Sky Sports: Motherwell skipper O'Donnell dies Motherwell midfielder Phil O'Donnell has died after collapsing during his side's 5-3 win over Dundee United. O'Donnell collapsed to the ground as he was about to be substituted at Fir Park and received five minutes' treatment before being stretchered to an ambulance. But Motherwell chairman Bill Dickie has confirmed that the 35-year-old has died after being taken to hospital. Dickie said: "Unfortunately I can confirm very, very sad news that Phil O'Donnell has lost his life. "We don't know what it was, but there will be a post-mortem. This is a tragic happening and that's all I can say." Motherwell manager Mark McGhee said: "I don't want to say anything more than how devastated everyone at the club is for his wife and his young children. "That's what we are all feeling tonight, nothing else matters. "Obviously from the club's point of view we'll gather round to give his family as much support as they need." Speaking after the game, before news of O'Donnell's death had come through, McGhee confirmed the substitution was 'a coincidence'. McGhee later replaced David Clarkson - O'Donnell's nephew - who had been shaken up by the incident. "We took Clarkson off because he got a fright from the nature of the collapse," said McGhee. "A few of the boys got a fright." O'Donnell started his career at Motherwell before leaving for Celtic in 1994 and then joining Sheffield Wednesday five years later. He returned to Fir Park in January 2004 and was captain of a Well side who have been performing above expectations this season.
12/29/07 6:03 PM
Mentaljim
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Dec-07
R.I.P. Sad loss for football in Scotland.
12/30/07 6:29 AM
Joe Ray
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Dec-07
RIP

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.