UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Breeding my snake

1/1/08 12:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mendelson
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Jan-08

My Leucistic Texas Rat Snake has come out of brumation. I located an adult snow corn that I am trying to get her to breed with. They have been in the same tank overnight now, and they have been very active. They have been slithering all over eachother and there has been a lot of movement. I have not yet seen them lock up, and I am wondering if there is any advice on how I may be able to get this to occur. Please let me know. Thanks!
1/13/08 12:33 AM
Nickman9000
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Jan-08
I bred two corns once, and a good sign that they are about to mate is the male will start making "jerking" like movements towards the female. Really wierd, and have only seen this when they are about to breed. DId the Snow Corn go through Brumation? If not, I'd say put them both through it again at some point and try again. That would be a cool morph tho! a Fucking Leucistic rat and a snow corn, cool! Be sure to post some pics when the babies show up, and don't sell them all right away, I want one!
1/16/08 11:18 AM
mendelson
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Jan-08
I am taking my girl leucy to the herp vet this afternoon. She looks very opaque, and her skin seems to be loose. She has not gotten eye caps though, as she normally does before she sheds. I am concerned about some spots on her skin that may be belly rot. This came on very sudenly and she has a pinkinsh cast to her belly scales. She also seems a bit lumpy around the vent as well. I hope she is alright. I wonder if the vet can tell me if she is preggers already or not. I will post the results when I get them, and if she has babies, then you are welcome to buy one for a reasonable price based on what they look like. -mendelson
1/16/08 6:18 PM
Nickman9000
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Jan-08
sweet!
1/17/08 9:18 AM
mendelson

Edited: 17-Jan-08
The vet said it is too soon to tell if she is preggers. She does not have belly rot, but they tested her for respiratory stuff. She is on meds and already looking a lot better than yesterday. I take her back in about 10 days, so I will post then and let you know whats up.
1/26/08 5:12 AM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Jan-08
Pinkish hue to the belly is common in lots of snakes heading into a shed. I have no problem with hybrids as a rule, but please make sure any offspring if old are clearly represented as such. The animals you have are quite easy to obtain though so I wonder why not try and keep the same species?
1/28/08 12:51 PM
mendelson

Edited: 28-Jan-08
I am looking to cross breed them to see the difference in the offspring. I am interested to find out what type of appearance they will have, and I am also interested because I have spoken about it to my local herp store and I have been told that they are not aware of any snow corn/ leucistic offspring around at this time. My snake has shed and she is a lot more active than she was when she was sick. I have reintroduced the male snow corn into the tank, and I have seen little activity between them. I am beginning to think perhaps she is just not a breeder. He is certainly making attempts at it; however, she has not yet "invited him in" by lifting her tail. mendelson
1/30/08 10:17 AM
Nickman9000

Edited: 30-Jan-08
Bummer. Hybernate again next year.
2/5/08 5:45 PM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Feb-08
Where do you live Mendelson? Just the general area is fine. I could probably point you towards several breeders of both species. This time of year you probably shouldn't be seeing babies anyways, but some might have breeders or last year's offspring still available.
2/11/08 8:19 AM
mendelson

Edited: 11-Feb-08
I live about 15 minutes away from Underground Reptiles in South Florida. My girl has been acting differently lately. She does not look or feel lumpy; however, she has been very active and she is piling up all of the substrate in her tank. I have given her more water, as she seems to be drinking quite a bit lately. Perhaps she is prego after all. Who knows? I guess time will tell.
2/12/08 6:34 PM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 12-Feb-08
Lotsa Corns: http://market.kingsnake.com/index.php?cat=65 Ratsnakes: http://market.kingsnake.com/index.php?cat=60 You can find a ton of both here also: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/mainpage.php
4/28/08 10:32 AM
mendelson

Edited: Apr 28 2008 12:00A
Spankenstyne-

The guys at Underground Reptiles say my girl is gravid!!!! I guess her little snow corn boyfriend got the job done after all! I am wondering though, as she seems to be getting ready for her pre-lay shed, which type of incubator you favor. I have read about how to make them, and I also have heard of the hovabator. At this point, I am thinking hovabator because this is my first breeding project and I do not want to lose the clutch because of my error. Any suggestions?
4/28/08 10:39 AM
Nickman9000

I have an incubator I never use and can't give away. It is yours if you want it. Let me know.

4/28/08 10:42 AM
mendelson

Absolutely! I would love it! Hit me up at richm2778@aol.com and I will get in touch with you today. Thank you so much!
4/28/08 12:10 PM
Nickman9000

no problemo. Here's what she looks like, just to give you an idea.

4/28/08 1:21 PM
mendelson

I only see a page for a company called netsuite. Is there a link to a pic of it by any chance? Also, the sooner you are able to get me your contact info, the better. She should be going through her pre-lay shed any day now. Thanks again!
4/28/08 3:26 PM
Nickman9000

4/28/08 4:44 PM
mendelson

Awesome! Thanks so much man!
4/29/08 11:27 AM
Spankenstyne

Edited: Apr 29 2008 12:00A
Good to hear you got hooked up. Hovabators are alright. You can make more reliable ones at home for less money, but free doesn't suck. Good luck with the eggs.

I suspect what you'll end up with might be tough to ID muddied versions of both parents, but probably will be nice lookin' snakes overall. Just make sure they're properly identified.
4/29/08 11:58 AM
mendelson

I haven't heard from Nickman, so I hope he is still cool with giving it to me. If not, then I guess I will just buy one. I am anxious to see what the babies look like as well. My snake is weird though, some days she looks really lumpy, and other days she just looks fat as a house. I believe the guy at Underground Reptiles when he said she was gravid, so I guess it is just a waiting game now.
4/29/08 3:20 PM
Nickman9000

Where do you want it sent?

5/1/08 8:04 AM
mendelson

Edited: May 1 2008 12:00A
Wow,

Talk about craziness. My snake is going to shed soon. I was cleaning her tank out last evening, and she was skittish for the first time in the years that I have had her. She began to lift her head us, and she kind of shook her tail. She has never done this before, and it made me laugh. I began to reminisce about my old Albino California King Snake. He was a blast. anyway, she is fully getting that "mother of pearl" type of look that she gets before she sheds. She usually turns a mixture of pinks, purples, and bluish hues and then she gets her eye caps. She has also been hiding under her hide rock for about 2 or three days now.

Since this is my first breeding project, I was wondering if anyone could tell me some other things to look for. The guys at the store told me something about a snake being able to reabsorb eggs or embryo's and that just because she became gravid, she may not lay eggs. Is this correct, or did I misunderstand them?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.