UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> The Power of the Untrained Mind

1/2/08 5:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jsteinmann
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Jan-08

Sometimes, it's the ones with no training that come up with most brilliant responses. Long story short: got into a conversation with a former TKD instructor at a New Year's party. I was trying, not entirely successfully, to convey the problems I saw in the traditional "grab my wrist" sort of self-defense training, with a moderate degree of success, when he decided to attempt to prove his point. He turned to a random partygoer and asked, "So, what would you do if someone came up and grabbed you from behind?" And she, without missing a beat said, "Well, it depends. Where am I? If I'm at an event with a bunch of friends, I probably look over my shoulder to see who it is. If I'm in dark alley by myself, I'll stomp on the guy's foot and start screaming." Interesting how someone with no training instinctively asked for the scenario, while someone with twenty-five years of training didn't think of it at all. (In his defense, I'd have done the same thing, once upon a time.)
1/2/08 6:08 PM
DannyE

Edited: 02-Jan-08
Hi Jake, So what was his answer to her response? Did he get the point? How is your PDR training going? Danny
1/3/08 8:47 AM
jsteinmann

Edited: 03-Jan-08
Danny, He kind of nodded and looked thoughtful. In his defense, he was half in the bag at that point (it was a New Year's party, after all), so he might not have been mentally processing quite as quickly as he would sober. Someone else also chimed in with some personal experiences, and the conversation slightly tangented. But he seemed to be thinking about it, at least. PDR training is going ok, but slow. I don't have a lot of training partners available at the moment, but I do what I can. Hopefully, I can get to another one of Tony's sessions this year. How's things on your end? Happy New Year!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.