UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Question about Protein Consumption

1/9/08 9:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HOLLYWOOD-MO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Jan-08

I currently weigh 164. I train 6 days a week, and lift 5 days out of the week. Im trying to put on some muscle to get me around mid 170's. I have about 200 grams of protein a day. Should I be having the same amount of protein on days that I do not lift or train? Should I consume less on those days or keep the same rate?
1/10/08 12:36 PM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

Edited: 10-Jan-08
Minimum of 1 to 1 ratio to maintain weight, and up to 1.5 to gain weight. Im doing a little over 1 to 1 ratio.
1/12/08 3:46 AM
pfsjkd
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Jan-08
What I've read says 1 gram per KILOGRAM of bodyweight.  Not per pound. 
1/12/08 8:42 AM
BoxingFan

Edited: 12-Jan-08
Seems like with that kind of workout schedule 200 grams wouldn't being going to waste. You need to factor in activity levels, not just weight, when thinking about protein needs.
1/15/08 9:02 AM
JeffMiller

Edited: 15-Jan-08
Hollywood, have you been consuming this for a while? Is it working? Have you established a diet tracking mechanism and analyzed your macronutrient requirements in order to derive your micronutrient requirements (max calories required per day and the necessary composition of those calories)? I personally go with 1.5 grams a day per pound. It works for me. Equates to 360g a day to maintain 240-250lbs of bodyweight. But the rest of my diet is in line as well. And not all bodies synthesize protein the same way -- sometimes the excess can turn into fat stores or just get crapped out. My $0.02.
1/17/08 1:17 AM
ronin0352

Edited: 17-Jan-08
Jeff touched on what I was thinking. What does the rest of your diet look like? Are you eating fruits &/or veggies with every protein meal? If not, the protein's most likely not getting synthesized by your body. Also, are you lifting in a way that promotes muscular growth or endurance? There are too many variables here. If you post more details or your diet/training it would help.
2/20/08 8:24 AM
Atecexa

Edited: 20-Feb-08
first off 5 days a week means your intensity level is crap and are not properly rested. fix that first.
2/23/08 9:14 AM
BoxingFan

Edited: 23-Feb-08
"first off 5 days a week means your intensity level is crap and are not properly rested." Huh?
2/23/08 1:19 PM
Atecexa

Edited: 23-Feb-08
if you lift with any level of intensity you will not physically be able to do it 5 times a week and training 6 days per week..again same idea
2/24/08 9:02 AM
BoxingFan

Edited: 24-Feb-08
I think we'd need a bit more info about the type/duration of training and lifting before jumping to that statement.
2/26/08 11:25 AM
Atecexa

Edited: 26-Feb-08
possibly. but if you are going to train there is absolutely zero point to training so light that you are able to do it 6 times a week. also training that light will probably not produce very good results
2/26/08 10:46 PM
stampy

Edited: 26-Feb-08
Atecexa, just checking, you believe that any athlete who trains 6 days a week is wasting some of his/her time? Stampy
2/28/08 9:14 AM
Atecexa

Edited: 28-Feb-08
atleast 2-3 of those days are a waste of time. Now I'm not talking about the basketball player who shoots hoops for an hour a day, that's not a "workout". Or the NFL wideout who takes passes for an hour, again not a "workout", a basbeall player taking batting practice or a pitcher throwing bp...not a "workout". I'm talking about the difference between a sprinter running a few takeoffs vs running 4-5 full speed 100's, the mma'r casually drilling and sparring vs a few fullout simulated matches going 100% out...stuff you just dont do everytime you "train"
2/28/08 11:23 AM
stampy

Edited: 28-Feb-08
Good golly Atecexa, you really don't know a lot about training, do you? Stampy
2/29/08 5:35 PM
BoxingFan

Edited: 29-Feb-08
LMAO at Atecexa's last post!
2/29/08 7:11 PM
Atecexa

Edited: 29-Feb-08
good golly stampy you don't know a lot about recovery do you
3/2/08 5:13 PM
stampy

Edited: 02-Mar-08
I've really got to ask you again, Atecexa. You believe that working out more than 3 or 4 times a week is overtraining or wasted training? I know this is the same question I just asked, albeit phrased differently, but I really want to hear your unequivocal answer again, to make sure I am not misunderstanding. I think you've posted in the past that your track training consists of one full out sprint of 100 or 400 m or something like that, a few times a week. You believe that no one else should be training any harder? Maybe I mis-remembered your training routine, perhaps you could post it again? HOLLYWOOD-MO, I'm sorry for getting your thread off track. Stampy
3/2/08 8:27 PM
jbapk

Edited: 02-Mar-08
"Are you eating fruits &/or veggies with every protein meal? If not, the protein's most likely not getting synthesized by your body." LOL
3/3/08 9:45 AM
Atecexa

Edited: 03-Mar-08
I think you've posted in the past that your track training consists of one full out sprint of 100 or 400 m or something like that, a few times a week. You believe that no one else should be training any harder? I dont believe I ever said that anywhere. My stance is always will be and always has been that any training that does not leave you exhausted, winded, flushed, barely able to walk away etc is not "training". Now I didn't get a clinical explanation of what the kid outlined or his definition of "training" was but If you are training with the kind of intensity that I listed above your body cannot physically handle that 6 days a week. If it could fighters would fight 10+ times a month...they don't and we could have as many NFL games as we have baseball games. On the protein answer, if you are not eating enough fiber with your protein it's probably going through your body too quickly and not being utilized well. Instead of relying on supplements add in a lot more whole grains like long grain brown rice, lentils, millet, quinoa, barley the list goes on. The pancakes I make out of my own flour (ground myself from real whole grains and nuts) recipes probably has a better amino composition and nutrition balance than any supp on the market, not to mention packed with carbs, fiber and omega 3 fats.
3/3/08 11:19 AM
stampy

Edited: 03-Mar-08
So you don't train more than 3 or 4 days a week? And further, you don't believe that any high school, college, semi-pro, or pro team in any sport, or anyone involved in an individual sport at any level, should train more than 3 or 4 days a week? Or that if they do, some of those days will be, in your own words, "a waste of time"? Stampy
3/3/08 3:19 PM
stampy

Edited: 03-Mar-08 03:44 PM
Deleted, posts finally showed up. Stampy
3/3/08 3:34 PM
stampy

Edited: 03-Mar-08 03:44 PM
A 3 hour bike ride at 70% of maximum heart rate is not training? This thread keeps getting moved up, but I haven't seen my last couple of posts. It's probably going to spit them all out at once. I'll edit them if they ever show up. Stampy
3/4/08 6:22 AM
BoxingFan

Edited: 04-Mar-08
"I dont believe I ever said that anywhere. My stance is always will be and always has been that any training that does not leave you exhausted, winded, flushed, barely able to walk away etc is not "training". Now I didn't get a clinical explanation of what the kid outlined or his definition of "training" was but If you are training with the kind of intensity that I listed above your body cannot physically handle that 6 days a week. If it could fighters would fight 10+ times a month...they don't and we could have as many NFL games as we have baseball games." Seems like all of the pro fighters/athletes just have everything all wrong then......
3/5/08 12:46 PM
Atecexa

Edited: 05-Mar-08
Buddy even NFL players don't train full out 6 days a week they usually take atleast a day or two after a game and aren't going to be out there busting ass the day before a game. A human body needs recovery. Like i said before my definition of training and yours is obviously different, yeah sure a 3hr bike ride at 70% HR is training...outside of professional riders I dont know anyone who does that. It's also a lot different than a workout of oly's, deadlifts and squats that leaves you almost unable to escalate the stairs to leave the gym - to which noone outside of roid heads would be able to do 3x a week...effectively
3/5/08 5:01 PM
stampy

Edited: 05-Mar-08
Neither I nor anyone else here ever said athletes should train full out six days a week. Make sure you understand that--I am not saying that athletes should train full-out legs-turned to jelly six days a week. YOU are the only one who brought that up, so I'm not sure who you are arguing with. Since you've made up this point to argue over, let me point out exactly where we disagree. First, your definition of training is simply wrong. While you may choose to call the number that everyone knows as "one", "three" in your parlance, and therefore by your definition 3+3=2, you would not only face continual communication problems but you would also be by far the biggest in your class, year after year. NO ONE on this board would define training in your terms, therefore you will continue to be misconstrued and to misconstrue others. That is problem #1--you have made up your own definition of a word that already has a common meaning. Do you know what aerobic training is? Do you know what lactate threshold training is? If you did, you would realize how silly or irrelevant your personal definition of training becomes. You are not using the word in any sense that any athlete would understand. You are making up definitions, and therefore you make up arguments that don't exist. Number 2: You said, "if you are going to train there is absolutely zero point to training so light that you are able to do it 6 times a week. also training that light will probably not produce very good results" and that for an athlete who trains 6 days a week "atleast 2-3 of those days are a waste of time". Those are quotes directly from you, and I do not believe they are taken out of context. If so, please correct me, but your statements seem pretty straightforward. When I put your statements together, it seems that you would recommend a training plan that consists of about 3 days of full-out, "barely able to walk away" sessions per week, and nothing else during the week beacause you believe that anything less than a full out effort is "a waste of time". Even accepting YOUR definition of training, do you realize how ridiculous the above training program is? How many teams at any level in any sport train that way? You do realize that many, many athletes DO practice their activity (most people would say "train", but I want to make sure you follow along) at a level that allows them to do so 5-6 days a week without wasting time? In some sports, athletes train (in the common acceptance of the word) twice a day sometimes, bringing the training count for the week to over 7? I daresay no or very few softball, volleyball, cross-country, football, baseball, track, basketball, or soccer team (to name some of the major sports) at any college (or even most high schools) train in the manner you recommend. Are you really arguing that all high school, college, and pro teams that spend 5 or 6 or 7 days a week in physical activity are wasting their time? Really? Number 3, in response to my training scenario question, you replied "yeah sure a 3hr bike ride at 70% HR is training...outside of professional riders I dont know anyone who does that". That answer right there validates my points, invalidates yours, and puts your knowledge of training into perspective. Sorry Atecexa, but that training scenario was from a typical day right out of my own training log from 1991, and IT WAS MY EASY TRAINING DAY of the 6 days a week that I rode (plus 3 days of weight training). So thank you for considering my easy day to be "training". That training is pretty common among serious amateur cyclists--I can point you to many training books if you don't take my word for it. I have no idea why I'm spending so much time trying to educate you--these points are so obvious I can't even believe they have to be pointed out to you. Maybe because you waste so much of everyone's time posting non-sense, for once I'm going to take the time to call you out on your lack of logical ability and your lack of training knowledge. Your heart is in the right place I'm sure, but a lot of your advice is simply wrong. Stick with the common advice of eat low on the food chain, limit red meat, get enough fiber, and stay away from processed foods type of postings, but please be able to back up from a respectable source any training advice you give, and not just make up your own. Train hard (but not too hard, at least all the time!), Stampy

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.