UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Bar Application

1/14/08 12:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fake Pie
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Jan-08

Holy shit this thing is harder than any law exam I have ever taken. WTF? Run a background check and a credit report on me and that will be 90% of the shit they are asking for. WTF is the point of this shit other than to make my life miserable? I am bound to forget something... Who the fuck remembers where they lived when they were 14? My mom doesn't even remember the address.
1/14/08 4:23 PM
Grappledog
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You should see what it's like when you are 42 years old and already licensed in three states!  It took me a solid two weeks to fill out that bastard of an application, including writing over a dozen letters and calling all kinds of people and providing all kinds of copies of documents.  It sucks terribly!
1/14/08 5:50 PM
Fake Pie
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is going to take me much longer than 2 weeks seeing as I have to get all kinds of documents from places in FL and I live in DC. I would gladly pay for my own background check, so I don't see why they make you do the legwork yourself when there are companies much better situated to this kind of shit. My driving record? Let me fly down to FL just to visit the DMV. Fuckers.
2/13/08 11:49 AM
DC Jitz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Feb-08
Weird. I'm a Florida lawyer who moved from DC. Where you headed? I'm at a small firm in Central FL. You can get your driving record w/o going to the DMV, but yes the FL Bar application is an enormous pain in the ass. Worse than that, I had to do an investigatory hearing to see if I was "fit" since I've worked for NORML and other drug policy reform groups. Be honest and upfront w/ the process. Hit me up at chrismullig@gmail.com if you have questions. Good luck!
2/13/08 7:12 PM
Fake Pie

I am applying to the MD bar. I go to school in DC but came from FL hence the FL records. You are on a tear today on the LG my friend. Is it your goal to post on every LG thread?
2/13/08 8:32 PM
bflex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry to hear that. I ended up having to "cut a deal" with Florida just to get in after a 2 year background check. Later, I applied to NC thinking that they would kinda let me slide through because Florida had. Nope. There words to me were, "we are picking up where Florida left off" 1 1/2 more years. Bflex - The attorney who has been arrested more times than his clients.
2/14/08 7:45 AM
Fake Pie

Edited: 14-Feb-08
I have 2 misdemeanors--both traffic related--and both were deferred prosecution, so no convictions of any type. I don't even have a speeding ticket or parking or moving violation or anything. So I think I should be all right as long as I disclose everything. MD is just a pain in the ass. Everyone at school is doing their bar app and MD seems by far the most burdensome.
2/14/08 11:41 AM
bflex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

South Carolina's Bar App used to be like this: Have you graduated from law school: ___ Yes ___ No In your own opinion, are you of the requisite moral character to practice law: ___ Yes ___ No If no, please explain. Attach additional sheets if necessary.
2/14/08 12:24 PM
Grappledog
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bflex, when I did the SC bar thing back in 2005, their application sucked (more info required than NV and CA).  NC is probably the worst I have encountered, though.  It is more detailed than NV, CA or SC and requires more documentation.  Plus, in NC you have the mandatory goofy in-person interview, which is just a waste of time and not required anywhere else I know.
2/14/08 3:15 PM
Fake Pie

MD has the in person interview. They also have a weird certification of your undergraduate requirement that I think no other state has. They also want to know every credit card, student loan, etc. that you have ever had. Your certified DMV record. Certified copies of any court documentation involving you, civil or criminal no matter the disposition. You have to handwrite an essay on your favorite professional conduct rule. 5 references that can't be an employer, a fellow law student, or a relative and has to be someone that has known you for the last 5 years continuously. 2 more references that are Maryland residents that aren't current law students anywhere. Every place you have lived for the past 10 years. You have to describe every suspension or the like from any school which includes high school. So here I am writing about saying "fuck" in class and getting 3 days of in school suspension. The whole think is about 40 pages I believe. I'll tell you for sure when I finally get the whole thing done. Still waiting on paperwork from FL because I got arrested once for speeding in bum fuck county, FL.
2/14/08 5:06 PM
bflex

North Carolina really sucked. Never applied to SC, but a friend did back in '02. On a side note, just got paid again!
2/14/08 6:40 PM
Grappledog

Hmmm.

MD has the in person interview.

Interesting.  First time I have heard of it was in NC.  The attorneys who did the interview with me were both legislative attorneys (as I am), so we just chatted about things.

They also have a weird certification of your undergraduate requirement that I think no other state has.

Never heard of that one, and not sure what it is, but providing a transcript is pretty routine.

Your certified DMV record.

Had to do that for two states.

You have to handwrite an essay on your favorite professional conduct rule.

Ouch.  I'm not sure I have a favorite rule.  There are so many that I am very fond of that it would be hard to pick just one.  Bizarre.

5 references that can't be an employer, a fellow law student, or a relative and has to be someone that has known you for the last 5 years continuously.

That's not bad.  I had to give 22 total references for NC.  I was almost to the point of putting down people whom I really don't like, but who know me.

2 more references that are Maryland residents that aren't current law students anywhere.

See above.  Seven references is not bad.  (SC and NC both require more.)  But ... what if you do not know anyone in the state?   I did not know anyone in NC, so I don't know how I would list two references.

Every place you have lived for the past 10 years.

For NC, I had to list every place I have lived since the age of 18, which is 24 years ago.  Nevada was the same, but I was younger then.  I also had to list all employment since the age of 18.

You have to describe every suspension or the like from any school which includes high school. So here I am writing about saying "fuck" in class and getting 3 days of in school suspension.

I guess it's true what they say in school about things going on your "permanent record."  Or maybe it's not true, seeing as how they rely on you to report it!

The whole think is about 40 pages I believe.

The NC application (with blanks filled in) is 56 pages, but with attachments my application looks like a damn phone book.  It has over 200 pages.  When I sent the application (and the required copy) by Fedex, it cost me some retarded amount, like over $40, because it was so heavy.
2/14/08 6:41 PM
Grappledog

Edited: 14-Feb-08 07:12 PM
On a side note, just got paid again!

Go Bflex!

A prospective client for you?

Beyond Peeping, Suspect Caught Under Bed
Donei Zabedra-Ilario, 20
By ANGELA RODRIGUEZ
FOX8 News

GREENSBORO, N.C. (WGHP) – "I was in bed laying with my girl (and) I heard something rumbling underneath my bed.  I thought it was my dog."

What Jeremy Lynn heard was not a dog, but from a peeping tom who had broken in hoping to see his girlfriend naked.

"(When) I looked underneath there, I saw these eyes staring back at me.  I was like 'what the crap!  This ain't normal,'" said Lynn.  "So I start(ed) slinging him around.  I was upper cutting him, beating him left and right."

Police said after they arrested Donei Zabedra-Ilario, 20, he confessed to spying on eight other houses in Greensboro.  He is considered a suspect in a string of cases throughout the city, including houses along Merritt Drive, Creek Ridge Road and West Florida Street.  Police said Zabedra-Ilario is suspected of spying on women in a Wal-Mart bathroom on Wendover Avenue.

But his plan came to an end recently inside an apartment along Pineland Street.

"When i dragged him out his belt, his pants were undone the whole nine yards," said Lynn.

Zabedra-Ilario told police it was the first time he's broken into anyone's home, but it was not the first time he's been peeping.

"It was almost something he was proud of, like someone would covet a trophy," said GPD detective David Lyndrup.

Lynn is glad he got to him first.

"I talked to the cop.  He told me if I wouldn't have caught him, he planned on spending the night."

Police are in the process of notifying the victims of the other cases and anticipate more charges will be filed.
2/14/08 11:55 PM
Fake Pie

You are making me feel better Grapple. "Never heard of that one, and not sure what it is, but providing a transcript is pretty routine." It is worse than that. My law school specifically lists MD as the one state they can't do a certification for so I had to get it from my undergrad. Of course they refuse to fill out the MD form and instead sent me back their own form with an explanation of why they won't fill out MD's form. Of course MD isn't going to give a shit. We will see how that goes. 22 references sucks. I don't know 22 people. I don't know what I would do. The two in state residents thing was bad for me. I don't know anyone in MD, I am going there for a job. I got two attorneys at the firm I will work for to sign it. Hopefully they won't complain about that. "Ouch. I'm not sure I have a favorite rule. There are so many that I am very fond of that it would be hard to pick just one. Bizarre." I was thinking of doing the rule against fucking clients but I don't think they would find that to be too cute. I think they really just want a handwriting sample but you never know, they might actually evaluate the essay.
2/15/08 11:38 AM
Grappledog

Edited: 15-Feb-08
Sounds like the essay might, indeed, be a writing sample, plus an underhanded way for you to disqualify yourself by making some type of unfortunate admission.  I like your choice of rule, but I also agree that the application process is not the time for jocularity.
2/15/08 5:34 PM
Fake Pie

Edited: 15-Feb-08
It just annoys me that 99% of this could be done by running a background check and a credit check on me. I'd gladly pay for it rather than have to get the information myself. Shit, I ran a credit report on myself just to get a list of all the loans I have (school loans).
2/17/08 11:47 AM
salyer36
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/20/11 12:07 AM
2/17/08 2:54 PM
Fake Pie

Edited: 17-Feb-08
Was she trying to get a DV protection order? Those are civil I believe. If she got the state to charge you with assault that would be criminal. I don't know NY specifically but it should say something like "all charges, arrests, etc. whether adjudication withheld or not..." I am pretty sure they want you to include every single damn thing no matter what the disposition of the case was but I would need to read the NY bar app language to say for sure.
2/18/08 1:18 AM
salyer36
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/20/11 12:07 AM
2/18/08 3:53 AM
Fake Pie

Edited: 18-Feb-08
Dude they won't care. The point is just to see how honest you are. Unless it has something to do with money or fraud they don't really give a crap. But intentionally don't report even a parking ticket and you will take some serious shit. Yeah the high school shit is funny. I can only remember being suspended twice right now. Once was for saying suck in class and another one was for writing a paper on why a woman could never be president. I can't think of anything else though I feel like there was a third incident.
2/18/08 7:31 PM
salyer36

Edited: 12/20/11 12:08 AM
2/18/08 7:53 PM
bflex

I only had to go into one incident in detail regarding high school. I got expelled for a year. It was actually kind of funny and everybody at the bar hearing laughed.
2/18/08 9:02 PM
Fake Pie

Don't know. I made up my supplementary sheet to go with my bar app. I wrote about 2 paragraphs describing what happened. I am sure I will be asked about it in my interview if for no other reason than getting suspended for an essay on why a woman can't be president is pretty funny. Especially since my teacher gave me an A and defended me and I was suspended anyhow. Teacher was a woman.
2/18/08 10:25 PM
salyer36

Edited: 12/20/11 12:08 AM
Edit.
2/19/08 7:58 AM
Trust
823 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Feb-08
When I filled out the application in FL I counted 20 places I had lived. Fortunately going back a certain time they only wanted city and state instead of street address. I ran a credit check on myself, audited my bank records for any overdrafts (my wife had MANY of them). After all was said and done, I had it easier than a lot of my friends in school - we were all older, mostly with families and established careers already. Out of the ~10 or so people I kept in touch with I was the only one who wasn't asked to submit supplemental information.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.