UnderGround Forums

NHLGround >> Maurice In The Hotseat

1/15/08 7:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
snigglefish
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Jan-08

Is Brindy right? http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app? articleid=350092&nhlLink=true&page=NewsPage&service=page excerpt.... TORONTO - As far as Rob Brind'Amour is concerned, the Toronto Maple Leafs are lucky to have a coach like Paul Maurice. "I've always thought he's one of the best coaches I've ever had. Plain and simple," the Hurricanes centre said before Carolina took on Toronto on Tuesday night. "There's a guy that always knew what to say, what the pulse of the team was. He's one of the best at that." "He took us to the Cup final (in 2002) when we didn't have much of a team in terms of what other teams had - back in the days when we had a $30-million payroll and other teams had $70 million and we were able to beat them," Brind'Amour said after the pre-game skate at Air Canada Centre. "And that's from coaching. Enough said right there." Don't let the dark rings under Maurice's eyes fool you into thinking he's more stressed than ever. "He always looks a little stressed," said Brind'Amour. "He actually looks better now than what he did in Carolina. I think he's more experienced and he knows he can only do what he can do and that's put the game plan in place. "As a coach, you can't control the guys on the ice and what they're doing," added Brind'Amour. "Coaching at this level is no big secret. It's the guys on the ice that have to produce. Unfortunately the way it works it always seems to come back on the coach - but it's never the coach's fault."
1/15/08 10:58 PM
snigglefish

Edited: 15-Jan-08
Certainly appears the better coach tonight.
1/16/08 11:02 PM
goeb
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Jan-08
...so how does Roddy feel about his own coach then? it's the canes players fault for their struggles?
1/17/08 8:23 AM
Mark1

Edited: 17-Jan-08
I heard on the radio that JFJ is gone. Also, they had the chance to interview Bowman, but turned it down. Are you kidding me? Mark
1/17/08 9:46 AM
JHR
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For the love of GOD, they need to fire JFJ AND get rid of Dick Peddie(file) but it won't happen. Paul Maurice is being made the scapegoat, he's a decent coach. Scotty Bowman is smart, stay the fuck away from that mess.
1/17/08 8:43 PM
snigglefish

I wonder how the players feel about Lavi. I know the Islanders got rid of him after getting them to the playoffs regularly supposedly because he had alienated the team. But at least in the press Rod and the others say the right things..i.e. "my fault as much as anybody". I think we are being hit from a variety of angles...weak goaltending with a weak defense combined with a lot of injuries. On the positive side Staal has been playing to his potential. I do think Maurice is a good coach. I've read Brindy's sentiments from various ex-Canes.
1/18/08 12:47 AM
goeb
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Jan-08
Well Sniggle...no one really knows what affect Lavi has on the team. Here's what canes fans seem to think about... His system is old, the defensemen aren't well equipped offensively to make his system work, and they also don't like how Lavi keeps changing lines and not taking ice time away from a guy like Roddy when he's struggling. Kaberle is an awful defensemen that has like 9 lives , but should be in the dog house and on waivers. Being a veteran team, no one is dumb enough to open their mouth on the team about Laviolette, and if he leaves the players unmotivated and lacking confidence. Part of it can be blame don the players, some on management for the weak defense, and some on Lavi with using the same old system and not changing it, instead just switching lines and screwing up chemistry (i.e, Cullen and Whitney, he keeps splitting them up for no reason. Apparently Rutherford is getting a little fed up and might trade away a big name guy soon, and I think he has no choice really, Cane son paper should be blowing every team in the southeast out of the water.
1/20/08 6:37 PM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jan-08
Mark, Bowman turned it down not the other way around, no matter how the Leastern media attempt the spin.
1/21/08 9:21 AM
Mark1

Edited: 21-Jan-08
Bowman is no dummy. He is still on the Wings staff as a consultant. Smart move by Wings' front office. Tie up Bowman so no other team can hire him. Not even the mighty maple loafs. Mark
1/22/08 6:12 PM
Extendo
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jan-08
Clean house, Fletcher.
1/23/08 4:12 AM
PR
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Jan-08
Trade all your good draft picks for over-the-hill injury-prone veterans, Fletcher. BTW, how is this guy still alive? He was ancient in 1991?
1/23/08 9:36 AM
Extendo
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Jan-08
lol, true. Maybe he'll bring Wendel Clarke back out of retirement.
2/25/08 1:46 PM
Extendo

Edited: 25-Feb-08
Wonder what is going to happen now with Sundin refusing to waive his no trade clause. That has to have thrown a kink in the plans for Fletcher.
2/25/08 5:30 PM
goeb

Edited: 25-Feb-08
As a fan of sundin's, I'm a bit shocked he likes the Leafs that much that he'd stay despite what shitty management they have. However it is his choice, if the Leafs really want to rebuild, they can let him go in the offseason and let someone else sign him. We'll see how serious they are about rebuilding.
5/7/08 5:31 PM
Stryfer

Paul Maurice just got fired.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=362791

Getting a new GM, new head coach, 7th pick in this year's 1st round draft, and sought after Swedish free agent Fabian Brunnstrom possibly coming to Toronto, I sense good things for the Leafs' future.
5/7/08 10:56 PM
Mark1

lol @ good things in the leaves future.

Their past GMs have absolutely sucked, why do you expect anything different now? 

New head coach?  See above.

They could have 5 1st round picks.  They will all be total busts, as most of the loafs picks are.

Sorry, Brunnstrom is coming to Detroit.  He will join the other Swedish superstars on the mightY Red Wings.

LOL @ the leaves nation.  Another year, another disappointment.

Mark

5/8/08 9:22 AM
Stryfer

"Their past GMs have absolutely sucked, why do you expect anything different now?"

There is a good list of candidates to fill the vacant GM position this year as opposed to other years.

Same thing with the coach.

I'll give you the bad draft choices since we do have a bad track record when it comes to selecting them, with the exception of drafting Tomas Kaberle who is probably our best drafted player.

I think Brunnstrom will either join Detroit or Toronto. Detroit does have great Swedish players and that is definitely a good incentive but Toronto has the captain of team Sweden (that is if Sundin decides to come back for another season).

And he will have a larger role to play here with more minutes as part of the re-building process rather than having limited minutes playing on an already great team in Detroit.

Plus Borje Salming had a one on one talk with Fabian to convince him to come here and Salming says the chances look good he will come here :)
5/9/08 8:48 AM
Stryfer

We were both wrong. Brunnstrom went to Dallas :(

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.