UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Small glimpse of Academy Training

1/16/08 3:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Jan-08

Here is a small glimpse of some of the training I provide at the Harris Academy:

http://www.royharris.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6450

To this page, I will be adding pictures and video.

Enjoy!

Roy Harris
1/16/08 6:29 PM
groundfighter2000
299 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn, I wish my school had classes focusing on escapes
1/16/08 6:59 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

groundfighter2000, While escaping is not the exciting and sexy topic that some BJJ'ers might want to attend, I believe it is an imperative class for those who have zero to five years of experience. Here's a comment someone else made on another forum: "While I can recognize how incredibly valuable this would be (having a class devoted to escapes for one year), talk about a grinding, dreary, unpleasant class." Here was my response: Anything of true value can be "boring" and "unpleasant" in the beginning, especially for those who seek fun and excitment! While it definitely is more FUN to work on submissions and sweeps, the amount of time spent "performing" and "getting" them while sparring is minimal for beginners (white belt to high blue belt/low purple belt). So, while it is "fun" to work on sweeps and submissions, they won't pay HUGE dividends for awhile. Imagine this: SCENARIO #1 You are about to grapple with a new guy. You put him on his back, yet you can't pass (escape) his guard. So, what do you do now? SCENARIO #2 You are about to grapple with a new guy. You put him on his back, pass his guard, but he keeps placing you back into his guard and occasionally going to his knees (and then places you into his guard). Whaddaya do? If you are like most people, you'd probably either resort to leg locks or to pulling guard on them. By possessing a "repeatable skill" from a few related positions, a student can force his or her opponent down a predictable path! So, by focusing on a series of escapes from these vulnerable positions, students will be able to force their fellow training partners down the path of leg locks and pulling guard - which are easily countered, and lead to other predictable paths. Still sound boring : ) ------- For years I have stated that developing a skill at escaping is what lays the foundation for Jiu Jitsu. And while I know that some people disagree with this line of thinking, I still believe it whole-heartedly! From my limited perspective, I believe there's no greater skill than being able to escape off of one's back AT WILL ! This one skill would lay a solid foundation for many other areas of Jiu Jitsu. For example, if you could escape off of your back whenever you wanted, wouldn't that turbo charge your guard control skills? You attitude might be, "So what if someone passed my guard! I'll put them back into my guard or go to my knees and establish a neutral position whenever I want. So, since this is such an important area of training, why not find a training partner and train it on your own? You have the resources to do this, right? So get to it. Train your escapes outside of the training provided at yoiur academy! Goood escaping to you, Roy Harris
1/16/08 10:33 PM
groundfighter2000
299 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep Roy, you sir are correct. I am a procrastinator by nature, and realize I need to find a training partner to practice with outside of class. *goes to review Roy's article on Finding a Good Training Partner*

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.